Gibson Brands Forums

Poly over nitro

Thundergod

Can it be done? Is it posible (and practic at all) to aply some polyurethane finish on top of a nitro finish?

If so... pros' date=' cons?

[angry

That has to be a trick question or seeing the angry smiley face... what put the bumblebee in your shorts?

As everyone else states...why?

As close to nothing as you can get to bullet proof. Hmmm....

I was wondering if I should one day strip the poly off the Dot to hear what it really would sound like... just for sh*ts and giggles. It would probably take a gallon of stripper minimum to strip poly off... not sure what the stripper would do to the binding though. Maybe I will practice on the Johnson 650. No loss there.

2nd question - what are you planning to strip or cover over with poly?

Actually I had a little discussion with a customer... he was saying his fender (made in mexico) was nitro finished...

Then he said the poly finish was just the final layer... he had that one done who knows where.

I tried to explain mex fat strats arent nitro finished, but he insisted.

And all of that talk was because he sa'z his fat strat sounds the same as a gibson... [blink]

So after he refused to see reason my last card was "imposible, the nitro finish plays a major part in a gibson's tone" (and on he goes about how his mexicaster has nitro finish).

I told him to check this thread... might be one of the guests, are you there man? :-k

Yes, if it's one part non- catalyzed.

"imposible' date=' the nitro finish plays a major part in a gibson's tone"[/quote']

You can make a guitar from pine, anything .... so long as it has a nitro finish, it will sound like a Gibson...

Yes' date=' if it's one part non- catalyzed.

You can make a guitar from pine, anything .... so long as it has a nitro finish, it will sound like a Gibson...[/quote']

As he was giving me all kinds of stupid explanations as to why his fat strat sounded the same as my les paul, I started giving him crazy sh.t too #-o

Stripper will roach the binding... learned that lesson about 20 years ago hehe :-k

Roach the binding? Not sure what that means but as the song says... "don't bogart that j...my friend"

Roaching a binding sounds particularly nasty. Guess I would have ruined the chances of getting anything out of that guitar.

MANY THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE JANTHA!

Roach the binding? Not sure what that means but as the song says... "don't bogart that j...my friend"

Roaching a binding sounds particularly nasty. Guess I would have ruined the chances of getting anything out of that guitar.

MANY THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE JANTHA!

That's local slang for ******* something up.

I used stripper on an old Les Paul I had when I was teenager. I didn't take any precautions with the binding.. and it turned soft. I managed to reshape it with a putty knife, but it was pretty bad. That was my experience though... there may be kinder strippers to use.

Roger that Jantha. I have stripped furniture many times before but a guitar has a lot of peculiarities to be careful of. Sorry to hear that about the LP. The guitar I am going to try this on is IMO, is exactly what it deserves. I can tape the binding off I guess, but wonder if the stripper would just eat the binding and tape together. Guess I will google up some info on this. I am planning on it being a 2010 project.

Archived