Gibson Brands Forums

9's or 10's for low action?

ics1974

Action is set at the bridge and having the neck properly adjusted' date=' so you should be able to set the guitar up for whatever gauge you like.[/quote']

Agreed but does the thickness of the string allow for lower action? If so is thicker or thinner better action wise?

Depends what your technique is and the tone you want. If you want the easiest possible action, then go with 9s. If you are willing to adapt to the slightly higher string tension of 10s you will have an improved tone.

There is an argument that the higher tension of 10s will give slightly less buzz with a low action.

I prefer 9s for easy bending and legato. I find I can get enough 'tone' with minor eq tweaks.

OK, I'll stick my neck out there to be chopped off. I played 9's on my Sonex for the longest time because of the reasons discussed here. When I bought my first Les Paul I put 9's on it too. I take every new guitar I buy to a tech to give it a good look-over and setup. He told me that a Les Paul sounds better with 10's. So I tried it. I'll admit it took a while for me to get used to them, but now I love the way the heavier gauge sounds on the Les Paul. I now practice on an acoustic with 13's on it, so when I play the Les Paul it feels a lot lighter (kinda like a runner training in higher altitude). Anyhow, the 10's help to bring out the classic warm tone we've come to know and love with Les Pauls. This is why they come with 10's from the factory.

OK, go ahead. Give me your best shot....

OK' date=' I'll stick my neck out there to be chopped off. I played 9's on my Sonex for the longest time because of the reasons discussed here. When I bought my first Les Paul I put 9's on it too. I take every new guitar I buy to a tech to give it a good look-over and setup. He told me that Les Paul sounds better with 10's. So I tried it. I'll admit it took a while for me to get used to them, but now I love the way the heavier gauge sounds on the Les Paul. I now practice on an acoustic with 13's on it, so when I play the Les Paul it feels a lot lighter (kinda like a runner training in higher altitude). Anyhow, the 10's help to bring out the classic warm tone we've come to know and love with Les Pauls. This is why they come with 10's from the factory.

OK, go ahead. Give me your best shot.... [/quote']

There goes another pun(different thread):D

Anyways,I'm totally with you rocket.

Have ALWAYS used 9-42. Got my LP,liked the stock 10-46 but decided to string with the usual 9's. Hate 'em. Do not like them at all. Go figure. After all these years(30)I now find that I prefer 10's.

The dilemma is...what do I string my other 5 guitars with? Trial & error I guess....[lol]

I'm sure it's just me but I can't get good tone out of 9s. I use 10.5/50 DG-Boomers on my ES-355, 10/48 DG-Boomers on my LP, CS6, Strat, and 200T. Tried the 10.5/50s on my LP but it was going to require some nutwork to be right and who wants to modify a 1 of 25 50th R9?

I too had always played with 9's until I got my new Robot. First thing I did was swap the stock 10's for 9's and discovered it was difficult to keep tuned. Thought it was a calibration problem with the tuning system so switched to 10's and will not go back. It took no time at all to get the feel for the 10's and the tone is much warmer. I also like the action close so lowered the bridge to about 1.5/64ths at the high E and 3/64ths at the low and re-intonated. No buzz at all and a dream to play.

Love my new LP

My old 70's Japanese LP is quite comfortable with either 9's or 10's with no adjustment required. Just a good old axe.

I have to say that I like the tone better on the std. 10-48 string set. I use Dean Markley Blue Steel, or Gibson Vintage, or Les Paul's. The 9's sound like light-weights to me. If I weren't concerned with tone (wait for it) I would have purchased one of those one-trick ponies with no tone anyway. I could string it with fly-weights and it would make no difference. But, I bought a Les Paul Std. - 10's. I've heard great things about 11's as well.

SLS

I have to say that I like the tone better on the std. 10-48 string set. I use Dean Markley Blue Steel' date=' or Gibson Vintage, or Les Paul's. The 9's sound like light-weights to me. If I weren't concerned with tone (wait for it) I would have purchased one of those one-trick ponies with no tone anyway. I could string it with fly-weights and it would make no difference. But, I bought a Les Paul Std. - 10's. I've heard great things about 11's as well.

SLS

[/quote']

hey silver. i checked your vid. nice. to bad the vox suck but ur drummer and bass player... cool y'all can play. wish you would look at the R&B side 'cause it'll make you a stronger player.

Before you go lowering the action I suggest tryin it a bit high. It improves sustain and the like. Try it for one string life maybe. I use 11s with my action high and I can tell a difference between the guitar with low action and high action. Just a suggetion you don't need to do it.

As was said, you can set anything up for low action. The guage doesnt matter.

Archived