Gibson Brands Forums

How do you get over a bad show?

Silenced Fred

As the years go by' date=' I've always liked the idea of a GOOD singer in a band to free the musicians up.

Seems a compromise for most players to sing 100% while trying to cover all the guitar or bass parts.

Hell, I can't do it...

But the whole stereotypical LSD thing (Lead Singer Disease) always seems to rear its ugly head.

Seems if the only job they have is mouthpiece, they lose sight of reality for some reason.

A GOOD singer is a treat, but I can live without the neurosis...[/quote']

He said today that we messed up because "the band should follow him" because he likes to take long breaks between verses, to which my teacher responded "a singer should learn to fxcking keep time!"

He shut up after that, that's why I think I want to have a band, with a lead guitar, bass, drums, and it looks like I could fill the role of vocals and backup guitar, I like that kind of set up

I can't deal with the BS of a lead singer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that we never had to deal with that! Our drummer and sax player/keyboardist sang all the tunes. If you think playing bass and singing Rush tunes is hard enough, imagine trying to play Neil Peart's drum parts while singing Rush tunes! Our drummer actually had natural ability that was out of this world; something I know only a little about (I had to work hard to play well, while everything came easy to him).

I'm glad that we never had to deal with that! Our drummer and sax player/keyboardist sang all the tunes. If you think playing bass and singing Rush tunes is hard enough' date=' imagine trying to play Neil Peart's drum parts while singing Rush tunes! Our drummer actually had natural ability that was out of this world; something I know only a little about (I had to work had to play well, while everything came easy to him). [/quote']

See that's the thing, if it is simple chords, I can sing and play, for most parts, it would be the guitar playing, me singing and possibly playing rhythm, and then for the solo whoever takes it, takes it

I am hoping this could work

The band I play with has the best drummer I've ever worked with.

Pro for 25 years. Not flashy/splashy but solid as it gets for keeping time.

Terminally un-hip old guy school teacher by day, rock n roller by night.

Great singer too.

Easy to sit in with those guys, they know their sh!t hands down - all I gotta do is not screw it up for 'em!

[biggrin]

Yeah good drummers are a rarity. Here's an old clip of our jazz ensemble when we were 16. Yours truly is on Fender Rhodes and my brother is on bass. Listen to the "cuts" are drummer makes, especially at the 1:39 mark. Truly amazing...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

He said today that we messed up because "the band should follow him" because he likes to take long breaks between verses' date=' to which my teacher responded "a singer should learn to fxcking keep time!"

[/quote']

Typical singer response. Why are lead singers always the least musical people in a band? The basics like meter always seem to escape them. So, you choke that princess yet?

Typical singer response. Why are lead singers always the least musical people in a band? The basics like meter always seem to escape them. So' date=' you choke that princess yet?[/quote']

Not yet, we gotta play again tomorrow, and where I live, there are some restrictions as to who you can choke

Forgive me, but it's been a while since I've read this thread.

Any of you headbangers left over from the '80s will now doubt remember Poison on the MTV Video Awards.

CC Devil was so high on cocaine and alcohol he didn't realize his guitar had come unplugged during the band's performance.

Right after that Devil and Michaels got in a knock down drag out cat fight and CC quit the band.

Forgive me' date=' but it's been a while since I've read this thread.

Any of you headbangers left over from the '80s will now doubt remember Poison on the MTV Video Awards.

CC Devil was so high on cocaine and alcohol he didn't realize his guitar had come unplugged during the band's performance.

Right after that Devil and Michaels got in a knock down drag out cat fight and CC quit the band.[/quote']

Aah yes Poison. Such integrity. A short cut to talent if there ever was one.[biggrin]

Like they all said, just shake it off.

Heck, U2 - second only to the 'Stones in the gross-dollar income of their tours - makes mistakes in nearly every show I've heard about. They had to stop and re-start a song at one show early this year. Doesn't seem to have hurt their careers any...

And I make mistakes too! They totally had to extend our last song for me by four bars so I could resolve the completely wrong notes I smacked to end the set.

Archived