Gibson Brands Forums

This looks like a fake...doesn't it?

PaulWM

Looks fake, Gibson serial numbers are usually painted over, However specs change and Gibson sometimes makes runs that are not consistent with rules of other models. I've heard people say some standards and customs are fake because they have an ABR-1 bridge instead of Nashville. There are many factors, but if you are unsure don't buy it, buy a new one.

The only suspicious thing I see is the photos - some people think art shots are a good way to sell instruments. It also happens to be a favourite of fakers, since it hides details.

Not that I'm saying it's fake, I just think it's a dumb way of selling a guitar. Who's going to pay $3000 for something they can't even see good photos of?

It IS a 2003 Les Paul Classic 3 pickup.

Not Fake. Classics have six digit serial numbers inked NOT stamped on the headstock.

The guitar is legit.

I thought the serial number system was the same for all Gibsons, which does it not apply to?

I thought the serial number system was the same for all Gibsons' date=' which does it not apply to?

[/quote']

The Les Paul Classic uses a serial number similar to the way pre-1960 Les Pauls were serialized.

Back then, it would be "9 XXXX" where "9" represents 1959. The Les Paul Classic started using the same style - "4 XXXX" would be a 1994 guitar. Because production spanned multiple years with the same "ones" place, they had to go to six-digit numbers. I don't know exactly which numbers are which year.

The only suspicious thing I see is the photos - some people think art shots are a good way to sell instruments. It also happens to be a favourite of fakers' date=' since it hides details.

Not that I'm saying it's fake, I just think it's a dumb way of selling a guitar. Who's going to pay $3000 for something they can't even see good photos of?[/quote']

I totally agree. If I purchase a guitar off of ebay I want simple high res pics, not some artsy angles and creative lighting.

On the other hand I forgot Classics were either hand painted or decal under the clear coat for serials however I wasn't aware of a 3 pickup classic, and the serials on classics are smaller and less apparent than on other Gibsons. Go check it out...

The Les Paul Classic uses a serial number similar to the way pre-1960 Les Pauls were serialized.

Back then' date=' it would be "9 XXXX" where "9" represents 1959. The Les Paul Classic started using the same style - "4 XXXX" would be a 1994 guitar. Because production spanned multiple years with the same "ones" place, they had to go to six-digit numbers. I don't know exactly which numbers are which year.[/quote']4-5 digits ('89-'99), 6 digits (2000+).[drool]

The "94" = 1994 serial number format was ONLY used in 1994, because it was the year of Gibson's Centennial, so the format would have looked something like this: "94000001" and so on.

Looks fake' date=' Gibson serial numbers are usually painted over, However specs change and Gibson sometimes makes runs that are not consistent with rules of other models. I've heard people say some standards and customs are fake because they have an ABR-1 bridge instead of Nashville. There are many factors, but if you are unsure don't buy it, buy a new one.[/quote']

When everything else fails, look for nibs.[crying]

Real IMO.

Archived