Gibson Brands Forums

Is $17,000 too much for a

Californiaman

I dunno, Todd, but I DO know it was this very guitar that made a Gibson neck fan out of me. Original, ca: 1964 (the pic) I'm on drums. The axe; a '61 LP custom, 3 pu's and Bigsby. Sweetest guitar I've ever played. Even to this day. My hands "remember" that axe.

ScruftyPersonified002.jpg

Hell yeah $17,000 is a lot of money. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions...

Is $17,000 something you can really afford to drop on a guitar? If you make a very nice living and that kind of money isn't that big of a deal in your world, then maybe you can afford it.

Are you buying it as a collector or a player? If you're a collector and looking to invest, a guitar is probably as good of an investment as anything else in today's economy. If you want a guitar to play, you can buy quite a few very nice guitars for that same money that are going to be just as good or better from a technical standpoint (arguable, I know). Then again, if you want real deal vintage, it just plain costs a lot of money to get it.

Hell yeah $17' date='000 is a lot of money. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions...

Is $17,000 something you can really afford to drop on a guitar? If you make a very nice living and that kind of money isn't that big of a deal in your world, then maybe you can afford it.

Are you buying it as a collector or a player? If you're a collector and looking to invest, a guitar is probably as good of an investment as anything else in today's economy. If you want a guitar to play, you can buy quite a few very nice guitars for that same money that are going to be just as good or better from a technical standpoint (arguable, I know). Then again, if you want real deal vintage, it just plain costs a lot of money to get it.[/quote']

+1, plain analysis Rich!

Yes, it's a rich-man's investment for sure.

Not something I'd be in a position to buy at this time.

I don't know too many musicians in the market for a '61 Les Paul to take out on tour. Let alone record with it. Which is something entirely different.

During the time I've known this guitar I've heard of two people interested enough in buying it, however the guitar still sits behind a wall of glass and it probably will for a while.

I do think I'm going to go in and play it. The owner has a blues deluxe I can plug it into.

Archived