Gibson Brands Forums

Unattainable Dream Gear

Shnate McDuanus

There was already a "dream guitar" thread of sorts, but it got me wondering about other gear. Amps, effects boxes and the like.

For me, it's probably an original '62 Fender Bassman piggyback head, complemented by an original '61-'63 Fender Reverb Unit. Not a huge fan of Fender guitars (I'd love a Tele if I could slap a Gibson neck on it,) but I've thought for a while that their amps and reverb units are incredible.

I'd love to run a Gibson Super 400 through it.

Unattainable is the same as hypothetical or rhetorical; a waste of time. I won't lust after something that will always be beyond my means. And, having a fair notion by now of "my means" that leaves a LOT of stuff off my lust-list. But the stuff that remains would be more than enough to keep me grinnin' for a long time to come. :)

After my new bass, I'd like a short-scale bass and an 8-string bass. I'm still hoping to find a Blueshawk at the same time I have some $$. And I've wanted a Hammond B or C, or even an A100 for so long I can taste it. All the stuff that still comes around at fairly reasonable prices.

Hahah....ok shows what I don't know aboot basses. I have a cheap ****ty bass and i like playing it sometimes...i'm not too good at it so an 8 string is waaaay out of my league...hehe

Sounds good...what is your timeframe for that? Unknown?

Well, I haven't gotten the SR5000 yet, although it's paid for. Arrival date is uncertain at this point. So I suspect the 8 string won't be in the works 'till sometime later in 2010...summer perhaps. I want to get real comfortable on the new one for awhile before taking on another learning curve. Plus I'm struggling along with learning banjo-picking now, too. :)

I'm gonna find someone to paint one wall of my little studio just like that!

Surf, I disremember right now exactly who, but someone recently told me of a service that will take your pic and blow it up to any size you want. They make individual panels...poster size I believe, and you arrange them into the complete picture. Might be cheaper than a mural artist, if you can find them.

Unattainable is the same as hypothetical or rhetorical; a waste of time. I won't lust after something that will always be beyond my means. And' date=' having a fair notion by now of "my means" that leaves a LOT of stuff off my lust-list. But the stuff that remains would be more than enough to keep me grinnin' for a long time to come. [biggrin']

After my new bass, I'd like a short-scale bass and an 8-string bass. I'm still hoping to find a Blueshawk at the same time I have some $$. And I've wanted a Hammond B or C, or even an A100 for so long I can taste it. All the stuff that still comes around at fairly reasonable prices.

8 Strings are cool, I have played a few of those and they are fun. But I would prefer a twelve string. God I love that sound!

8 Strings are cool' date=' I have played a few of those and they are fun. But I would prefer a twelve string. God I love that sound!

[/quote']

You talkin' about 12 string bass, Nikko, or guitar? I have an acoustic 12 string guitar that I bought 40 years ago. Such a rich, full sound. I'm not sure if I've heard a 12 string bass...like a double-octave. Might be kinda cool but I'd bet it's a handful to play.

A 12 string bass!!! Holy crap' date=' that must have a huge neck.[/quote']

Actually it's not that big. And yes Cruznolfar, a twelve string bass (I would like a twelve string guitar for the same reasons though). They are a tripple octave so you play them basically like a four string or an eight string bass. I believe for each set of three strings they have two tuned the same and one tuned an octave higher.

Listen to this. The bass player is playing a twelve string. The opening part of the song is mostly just bass.

Sounds very cool I think :]

A 12 string bass!!! Holy crap' date=' that must have a huge neck.[/quote']

Depends upon the style. If it's an extended range instrument, with the strings laid out individually, it's an enormous neck width. But an octaves bass, with its 4 sets of 3 strings, is much narrower.

NAMM_05_005.jpg

c2-boston.jpg

XDemonknight

Giggle at this if you will - useta have an early 60s Bassman and a 4-10 cab. <grin>

Among other guitar stuff I useta have that I wish I had back.

I've got a decent, but cheapie 12 string that gives plenty of 60s jangle for rock or certain other stuff I like on occasion.

Actually here's my bit of advice to young guys....

Banjo? Get a cheapie (you can get 'em for $100 or less new) and learn frailing and a bit of basic fingerpicking while playing in the "open G" tuning that's mostly used in bluegrass stuff, or at least, it useta be.

And a 12-string? You'd be surprised at how much better today's $100 12-strings are from the Web outfits than what I could get for the same dollars and more "real" money in the 60s. Try it. Get wild and put a cheap sound hole pickup in it and marvel at what you can do... (Oh, consider a capo for the 12, even if you consider it evil on other types of guitars. Just make sure you get a good (strong) one.)

Why? I think you pick up different ways of looking at the fretboard and even at pickin/pluckin' technique.

Seriously, the cheap end of banjos and 12-strings are better than the mid--range of my day, as far as I'm concerned. Then if they become your "thing," get Gibsons.

Oh... Me? I've got a cheap mandolin and banjo from the 70s, a cheap 12 from about six years ago. Just "stole" a cheap bass, just for fun. ("Stole" means used, and less than a a better Burger King lunch for two.) So...

I'm kinda like Cruzn in that it doesn't do much good to wish for what's unattainable, but, if somebody forced it on me, I'd gratefully accept a 335 or a fancied-up 175. I'd love a Dove but... I'm a lot more likely to give back the giver's money's worth in music from the semi/hollow bodies given what and how I play. Maybe a nice amp or one of those Bose amp/pa jobbies.

m

When I had the Bassman it was just running a Precision through it.

Never "pushed" it, nor used a guitar through it or whatever.

The combination of the head with the speaker box was a lot of effort to haul around, and I pretty well quit playing bass in the late 70s.

I think more folks today get more adventurous with equipment than we did then. In retrospect, yeah, I'd run a guitar through it for jazz and...

The bass player in my mid 60s rock band used a Bassman with the 4-10s - I think it's all that was available in this part of the country at the time - just played basic rock bass through it.

Bottom line: I saw it as a reliable, quality machine for working as a musician. Like a carpenter needs good tools.

I think your generation - and even old guys like me today - sees more options in equipment that mostly what was seen in my rock band era. That's good, believe me.

Yeah, I wish I had it back. But make sure you've got spare tubes and fuses. And I recommend wheels for the speaker cab.

For what I do? I still think that little Deluxe Reverb was about a perfect all-around club design, regardless of gig or style.

m

Archived