Gibson Brands Forums

Song Ideas

Silenced Fred

Looking for some songs that range from alternative to heavy rock that the crowd can get into. We are going to be playing more and more shows, and I need some ideas for songs.

What we have done: Little Sister, Chameleon, La Grange.

Looking for advice on what songs to pick, and also our set up is currently: a drummer (we have two), a bass player, lead singer (if you can call him that), and three guitar players, with me on guitar and vocals.

We have a kickass lead guitar player that can solo like no other.

Who do you love - George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

Stone Free, Freedom - Hendrix

Come on, Rude mood, Say What - SRV

Reelin in the years - Steely Dan (maybe)

<shrug> just spittin out what came to mind.

or not....

Who do you love - George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

Stone Free' date=' Freedom - Hendrix

Come on, Rude mood, Say What - SRV

Reelin in the years - Steely Dan (maybe)

<shrug> just spittin out what came to mind.

or not....[/quote']

I was considering doing some SRV, but as much as I hate to say it, I think we might have to play some more 'pop'ular stuff.

I don't like it either, but I am considering working on some of our own arrangements of songs that are out there, and topping the charts, whatever the charts are.

I was considering doing some SRV' date=' but as much as I hate to say it, I think we might have to play some more 'pop'ular stuff.

I don't like it either, but I am considering working on some of our own arrangements of songs that are out there, and topping the charts, whatever the charts are.[/quote']

The charts have no soul.

I understand where you're going. I just wouldn do it.

The charts have no soul.

I understand where you're going. I just wouldn do it.

But here is where I am coming from, if we do some more pop stuff, nothing that bad, but pop ish nonetheless, the audience will put up with a lot more of us playing stuff we love that they may not care for. I learned this early on, you gotta stay true to yourself, but still cater to the audience.

By more pop stuff, I mean stuff like Blink 182 or something like that

aaah.

I get it man. Personally' date=' I say fxck the audience.

Good Luck.[/quote']

No offense meant here, actual question, but do you play shows?

If you do, do you want the audience to be bored? Do you want the show to be all about you? Personally, I want the crowd to walk out of there amazed and glad they came, not thinking I am some wanker up there showing off. I would like to play some stuff they know, then some stuff that they might want to look up when they get home.

No offense meant here' date=' actual question, but do you play shows?

If you do, do you want the audience to be bored? Do you want the show to be all about you? Personally, I want the crowd to walk out of there amazed and glad they came, not thinking I am some wanker up there showing off. I would like to play some stuff they know, then some stuff that they might want to look up when they get home.[/quote']

ok let me clarify. That was rather rash.

Answer to the general question no.

and no it isnt all about me, heck no. The whole band would agree on it (assuming I was in one).

Ok I was an idiot, sorry didnt give it time to think (need to practice that)

That's one way to get gigs!

Who said I'm aiming to gig? (just yankin yer chain).

Like I said, needed more thought then I gave it.

I'm going to delete the posts in question to try and rerail the thread. Maybe (SP and Fred) take them out of your quotes too.

No way' date=' dude. I think it should be your new sig line!

[/quote']

Definitely! Or at least my call when I start a show

"Hey crowd! Yeah you guys out there" (wait for cheers and screaming) "FXCK YOU!!" then start the show.

DAS, I am yanking your chain, I understand, but its funny as sh¡t.

Good by Better Than Ezra' date='

Low by Cracker,

What's My Age Again by Blink 182,

Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones,

Summer of '69 by Brian Adams,

All easy songs that are crowd pleasers and they you can mix in other stuff.

[/quote']

Thanks, I think getting some songs the crowd can get into would east the transition into some better stuff

Blitskrieg Bop is a very high possibility, thanks!

A gigging musician is nothing without their fans....you know how sick of Paranoid Black Sabbath got? Yet they played it and played it and played it because thats what the crowd wanted....

You have to play to the crowd....if its an SRV kinda crowd, you could do it...but if not, people will go get a beer and forget to come back to their seats and forget the name of your band. Maybe.

I'd like to hear a lot more suggestions on this topic. I'm currently kicking around an arrangement of "500 miles" by the proclaimers. Don't have one I really like yet, but it seems like a ballsier version could be interesting.

'Course if you really want to pander, at least in the US, there's always "Free Falling" by Tom Petty.

A gigging musician is nothing without their fans....you know how sick of Paranoid Black Sabbath got? Yet they played it and played it and played it because thats what the crowd wanted....

You have to play to the crowd....if its an SRV kinda crowd' date=' you could do it...but if not, people will go get a beer and forget to come back to their seats and forget the name of your band. Maybe. [/quote']

It is really hard to play to a crowd nowadays, at least a crowd of teenagers, because the musical tastes seem to be heavily prevalent towards rap and 'house' music. We are working on doing an arrangement of some rap song, it will probably get some laughs, it has more of a country twang to it, and some other stuff, but keep the ideas coming!

... We are working on doing an arrangement of some rap song' date=' it will probably get some laughs, it has more of a country twang to it, and some other stuff, but keep the ideas coming!

[/quote']

If you could rap "Okie from Muskogee", THAT would be cool!

Archived