Gibson Brands Forums

Can't decide on an amp

SGplayer1994

I've been looking at some amps so that i can upgrade from my cheap fender 212dsp amp. I am looking particularly at a Marshall DSL100 half stack and an Egnater Tourmaster 4100. I play a Gibson SG standard and am looking for input from other players. Which amp is more versitile? I play AC/DC to Metallica and everything in between.

You didn't say how much $$ you wanna spend, but assuming you have a decent budget, I would go for any American or British made POINT TO POINT wired tube amp. Stay away from stuff made in Asia, and amps with printed circuit boards,and of course,eschew all solid state amps no matter what their claim of giving you a tube sound is. Also, I would buy one of the little cooling fans they sell at Radio Shack (about$25) and find a way to mount it in the back, like I did on my Fender. Makes a world of difference in tube life.

point to point?? What a giant MESS. Eyelet or Turret board build amps are much neater and less prone to interference issues, and are also easier to maintain due to the lack of wires going everywhere inside the chassis.

That said what's the problem with PCB amps? Virtually every manufacturer has moved to using circuit boards/cards in their amps to speed production and simplify the interior wiring. I certainly don't want to imagine a marshall TSL or JVM with PTP or eyelet board wiring. that would be insane.

You'll probably get a different answer from everybody.

I love the sound of an SG through an AC30. The AC30 is probably my favorite amp.

A while ago I was looking around in the high end part of a guitar store where they have all of the boutique amps and custom shop guitars from Gibson, PRS, & Fender. I plugged a goldtop 339 style guitar into a Matchless combo and it completely blew my mind. It was the most amazing sounding, touch responsive amp I've ever seen. It made my guitar playing sound like something I would want to listen to.

Matchless amps are pretty expensive but if you can swing it then I'd recommend it.

I am pretty big supporter of Metroamps! The kits are around $1000 depending on what model you get and they are PTP (really turrent board) clones of the original Marshall amps. The 2203 kit might suit what you want, although the metro is a turret board the original Marshall's were PCB.

If you want a complete amp it costs $400 more, but I do not know if they offer the 2203 complete yet or not.

DSL100 is a good choice, i have a DSL50 and that is VERY loud, loud enough for any gig ill ever play. I use my 05' SG Standard and it sounds great.

it has an ultra gain channel where you can get perfect metallica tones, and a clasic gain channel for the AC/DC or hendrix tones.

defently worth looking into. i managed to steal mine used on ebay for £400 (with a marshall 1936 2x12 cab)

hope this helped,

Cheers,

Larsson

Thanks everybody for the input. I went to the local (I know everyone is going to hate me for this lol) Guitar Center and tried out a bunch of amps. I'm really stumped between a 2x12 Egnater Tourmaster combo, Marshall DSL 100 Half Stack, and a Vox AC-30 with celestions. I don't plan on buying the amp there though, i'm going to buy it used off of Craigslist or something so that I can try before I buy. Before I do that though, anything I should be weary of on a tube amp? What is the worst thing that could go wrong internally that will cost a lot to repair? As much as I dislike buying electronics new from Guitar Center, I have to admit, their Extended Warranty program is great and has served me well the last four or five times. Any advice is greatly appreciated, and happy holidays to all.

How 'bout one of these....

Splawn13.jpg

Splawn Quick Rod.

It's got 2 channels...clean and overdrive. The overdrive channel has 3 "gears" which are hot rod Plexi, hot rod JCM800, and super hot rod JCM800.

Another cool thing about these is you choose the headshell style and the tolex and piping color to make it your own.

http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

Just to toot my own horn, I am big fan of Carvin X-100B amplifiers, either the reissue or the late 90's "fuzzy" versions. They have great crunch, have EL34 power tubes, and also have a rather unique tone shaping setup, as well as footswitchable channels, reverb, and effects loops.

This was a my rig a few years ago. The only difference now is that I moved to a ISP decimator pedal and got a "shallow" rack for my power conditioner, tuner, and effects unit.

x100brig1.jpg

To Bones43x:

Yes, I do agree that I haven't been doing half bad for only being a player for a little over a year, but I recently moved to a new neighborhood and do not have anywhere near as many job opportunities as I used to, and therefore my rapid expansions in gear are coming to a quick stop. The people here just seem to take care of their own stuff because they have the right tools for the job, or they already pay professionals to do their lawn work and all that nasty stuff. The bad economy hit Detroit, and now it seems to have hit me lol.

To tbonesullivan:

I've heard some good things about Carvin Amplifiers, but I haven't actually seen one in person or had the opportunity to try one. None of the music shops within 50 miles of me carry them.

It is all really down to the cash available verses the sound you are looking for.

I have quite a few old Marshalls and they are OK if a little heavy to cart around.

The amp I am using most these days is a Rivera Quiana Studio (6L6's), not the cheapest amp in the world but more tone than you could ever want, It may be worth you checking out some of the other used Rivera models in the shops and reading some reviews on them.

A Marshall 50w MV head, (model No.2204, made 1975 to 1981) and a 4x12 or 2x12 closed back cab (not necessarily Marshall but try to get Celestion speakers, G12 25watt if at all possible) may be in your budget and would probably go some way to giving you the sound you are looking for.

If you can't afford what you want now then try not to be tempted to buy a compromise, wait and save up for what you really want.

Archived