Gibson Brands Forums

New Amplifier Recomendations

jrsdws

Merry Christmas!!

I bought the kid a stompbox distortion pedal and a wah for Christmas. We tried to do some updates to his Peavey Vypyr 75 modeling amp with no luck. This thing has been a pain in the rear since the get go. It does a lot of stuff, but there always seems to be something going wrong with it.

Anyway, we've decided that if he wants to sell it that I would split the remainder of cost of something new.

I think something around a $600 range would be about a maximum.

He is playing a LP Studio Silverburst with the pickups that can be split by pulling the volume knobs. He is still learning (15yrs old) but playing for 2yrs now and starting to gig a little with a local band. He is also forming a "garage band" with his buddies.

He likes to play a very wide variety of music....varying from blues to Ace Frehely....to 80's hair band music.

Please make recommendations for good reliable amps in the 75w to 120w range that would be within our budget ($600). He doesn't want the headache of the modeling amp anymore. He'd rather add effects gradually for what he wants to play.

Can anybody offer an opinion on the Marshall MG4 series amps?

Perhaps somebody would point me in a different direction even? That is great as I have no experience with this stuff and am completely open to suggestions.

Hey man' date=' welcome to the forum and merry christmas!

I think for 600 bucks you should go tube, buy your son a nice all tube low wattage amp, he'll thank you forever.

[/quote']

+1.

For me, Fender makes a couple, in that price range.

BLues Junior (15 (loud) tube watts) $499.00 Musician's Friend

Hot Rod Deluxe (40 (very Loud) tube watts) $699.00 (a bit over your stated budget, but worth it!)

I play, regularly, with the Blues Junior, in small bars and clubs. It has plenty of

volume...I've never run it over 6 Master and volume (out of 12). I also have the HR Deluxe, and a

Twin Reverb, for larger or outdoor venues. The HR Deluxe is Plenty! The Twin Reverb

(1980 135 watt version), I love and have had for 30 years. But, rarely get to use it. Most Twins,

are 85 watts, and Way Loud...and, about 2X (+/-) your budget.

Also, Marshall has the new "Haze" combo...40 watt tube amp, at $699.00, as well.

There are, no doubt, other's to check out, as well.

Good Hunting!

CB

Welcome and Merry Christmas.

I think Charlie Brown and Thunder God gave you some great advice.

Here is a link for the Marshall Haze amp which is a little over your budget but may be worth a little extra even if you need to wait an extra month or two.

One thing you should know is that a lower watt tube amp will sound louder than the same watt solid state/modeling amp. I say that so you can start to understand that you probably don't need 100 watt amp.

This 40 watt marshall haze will most likely be loud enough for him until he makes it big time and begins playing stadiums. Well ok if he does an out door gig it may need to be mic'd. In fact I bet you'll wish he would turn it down while practicing in your home.

Personally I use a 10 watt tube amp which I built and I am able to keep up with the other band members easily. The other amp I built/play is a 50 watt tube amp and it blows everyone away.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Thus far it seems the tube amps are everyone's choice. Can you tell me why and what makes them louder than solid state? The 75w he is using now works indoors with a full band so I assumed going bigger would be better. If putting a mic in front of the amp wasn't an option at this time, what would be the minumum size and speaker configuration for playing with a jam band...bass, rhythm, lead, and drums?

Can one of these combo amps have speaker cabinets hooked up at a later time?

Thank you all for the suggestions. Thus far it seems the tube amps are everyone's choice. Can you tell me why and what makes them louder than solid state? The 75w he is using now works indoors with a full band so I assumed going bigger would be better. If putting a mic in front of the amp wasn't an option at this time' date=' what would be the minumum size and speaker configuration for playing with a jam band...bass, rhythm, lead, and drums?

Can one of these combo amps have speaker cabinets hooked up at a later time? [/quote']

This was quoted from another member on this form in December of 2008 by L5Larry

"Watts" is a mathematical calculation of power consumption' date=' not a measure of loudness. Loudness is measured in "decibels". Though higher watts does certainly mean higher volume, the only actual way to compare the volume output of any two amps is to measure the decibels they produce, for each amp, or type of amp, may have a different "efficiency".

It's just like the fact that light bulbs are described per wattage, but the brightness of light is actually measure in "lumens". That's why a the new compact fluorescent light bulb listed as 15w (power consumed) puts out the same light as an old style 60w incandescent bulb (950 lumens).

[/quote']

Another point about tube amps is that their power limit can be pushed and it can actually help the amp sound better... it has to do with wave form. On the other hand when you push the limits of a solid state amp you clip the wave and it sounds harsh and well.... yucky (yucky is the technical term... lol).

As for minimum that depends on the band. I've been in plenty of bands where everyone keeps turning up louder and louder. On the other hand I've been in bands where everyone was aware of each others sound and monitored their own volume in order to hear the other guys and play off of each other.

I would start as a general rule with an amp that has 1 speaker to have a 12" speaker (as opposed to a 10" or 8") I just like 12" because it will have a little more bass or bottom end. If you have a cabinet with multiple speakers... again I like two 12" speakers or a cab with four 10"

as I mentioned earlier the amp I built and use the most right now is a 10 watt tube amp with a 12" speaker. I also like it because it is only about 30-35 pounds. As you get older it's not as much fun lugging around big amps. When I was 15 I didn't care and size was a "cool" factor.

Whatever you do! dont get a anything from the marshall mg series!

check out some of the small orange combos. there is a 30wattamp that is awesome! very loud. very good clean channel. would sound great with that distortion pedal you got.

also you could check out "Blackheart Amps" Crates new tube amp series. there is a 15w combo that is killer!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Thus far it seems the tube amps are everyone's choice. Can you tell me why and what makes them louder than solid state? The 75w he is using now works indoors with a full band so I assumed going bigger would be better. If putting a mic in front of the amp wasn't an option at this time' date=' what would be the minumum size and speaker configuration for playing with a jam band...bass, rhythm, lead, and drums?

Can one of these combo amps have speaker cabinets hooked up at a later time? [/quote']

Yes, a lot of amps have a "extension speaker" outlet. And, if not, quite often you can unhook the internal

speaker, and plug in a 2 or 4X12 cabinet...BUT...the ohms have to match between amp and speakers!

Most of us like tube amps, for the sound/tone! I do have, however, an old '80 (Japanese) Fender Sidekick

35 Reverb, (Solid State) that sounds great (for it's size/wattage), with a single 12" speaker, that has never,

in almost 30 years, let me down. I keep it with me, for my bar/small club gigs, as a spare/backup amp.

And, use it, constantly, at home, to practice on. With a Boss "Blues Driver," it "Wails!!" ;>) And, that's 30 year

old technology, so some of the newer SS and "Valve State" stuff, will be great! Really depends on what he

likes, tone wise.

Also...Look at some Vox "Valvetronix" amps...VT-100 is 100 watts, 2-12" speakers, and "effects" too. $650.00.

There are smaller versions, as well. Fender makes a 1/2 Stack (around $500.00) FM 100 that has pretty

good reviews (especially "clean"), although I haven't seen or played through one, YET. So...there's Lots

of decent stuff, in or near your budget!

CB

THere are several Fender choices, both tube and solid state. What he may need now may not be a tube. Sit down and really discuss plans for the next year, then see if (power+solid state value) has to outweigh (clean headroom+ tube tone).

When I was his age, I took the view that when I had the foundation of headroom and clean tone, I could go anywhere else I wanted. I got myself a Fender TwinReverb, then ~100w. About six months later, they added Master Volume to the design, and my only regret is that I didn't swap it out for that model. I have absolutely NO other regrets about this tube amp.

However there are many other viable games in town. Epiphone may have an amp you can try.

I'm not sure if the least $$$ Egnater combo (head + single) comes into your range, but give it a test drive when you take him in. Take in the guitar you intend to play through the amp, so there are no pickup gain issues when you test-drive it.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

My avatar holds my idea of the most gorgeous LP ever made in my eyes, a Custom Natural with Maple Neck."

I saw your avatar and thought I'd show ya my LP... Natural finished Standard (not custom... sorry) with a maple neck and rose wood fretboard

IMG_2334_0146_edited-1.jpg

I believe we are leaning towards something like a Vox Night Train NT15H head, Orange Tiny Terror head, or maybe even the Jet City JCA20H head.....or at least something along these lines. The Vox and Orange are around on ebay and craigslist. Lots of extension cabinets available locally on craigslist in the $200 range to go along with it.

Also the Jet City JCA2112RC combo amp look very enticing...new for $499 and connections to drive external cabinets.

Anything else along these you might recommend? Comments pro and con?

The Tiny Terror is a little more difficult to come by it seems and yes appears to be as basic as it gets. I believe the Jet City head to be the same.

I have also just come across a used Mesa Boogie F-50 1x12 with new tubes. Haven't seen anything other than pics nor heard it yet. Am dealing via email before driving to check it out. I think I can get it for $450 or a little less.

Thoughts on the Mesa as well as any others on the Night Train or Jet City please?

Your choice is simple--Buy any tube amp that is made in the US or Great Britain ONLY!--Stay away from Asian amps & Mexican amps (like the Fender deluxe & DeVille series) They are junk, & the printed circuit board amps sound very glassy. Bottom line? buy a point to point wired tube amp thats at least 20 years old. Also,and THIS IS IMPORTANT: The MORE bells & whistles & features an amp has,the more it's just a TOY. The more professional the amp,the LESS it has in the way of bells & whistles & effects. Real pro amps like Matchless or Top Hat only have volume,treble,bass,middle, & ONE channel. Yes, you can hook up external speakers to any amp,as lond as the IMPEDANCE matches,even though you may have to do a little creative wiring if the amp doesn't have an external jack.

The guy wants $650 for the Mesa/Boogie F-50 1x12 combo. Probably not bad, but thinks we can buy pretty good new equipment for that.

The boy is splitting cost with me so staying in budget is definately an issue as always. We could extend a bit for the right buy.

Right now he is leaning towards the Jet City stuff. I think he likes the 20w head and 2x12 cab. Can get all for right at the $600 price. He digs the online reviews and the sound from the Tone King video....and especially the price.

He also preferred the VOX sound over the Marshall Haze in the video reviews. Not surprising as he seems to lean toward the grittier British sound.

We are going today to give the Night Train and Jet City a test drive. There is quite a price diff between the two...and for adequate reason I suppose, but with the $100+ diff the VOX leaves little room for cabinet money.

Anyway I guess playing through these will tell him all. He can pick from there. If he is willing to extend his price range, I will pay for half.....then I'm done!! He'll have to start making money with it to buy more!!

Archived