Gibson Brands Forums

Things you do before a gig that you only do.

dem00n

TG' date=' I think you give a new meaning to GAS, well, actually the old meaning (he he he).

I was 13 when I played my first gig. Thankfully I never had to do anything. But I couldn't wait until I played that first note, then I was fine. [/quote']

Aah yes.

We all have fond memories of the time we had our cherries popped...

I've never had stage fright' date=' anxiety, or even butterflies before a gig.

Notes[/quote']

[thumbup] Really...well then,you're a rare bird indeed mate.

I'd get anxious about everything before hand. And if I didn't...that's when I knew something just weren't right...or it was time to move on.[cool]

But soon as I was on...I was on.Everything else flew out the window and that's when you enter that other world.

Now studios...that's when I'd get the jitters. Thank christ for all the technology we now have at our disposal. I never found a studio that didn't leave me cold. Done EP's,jingles,fill ins but nothing compared to being settled in amongst my own surroundings.

[thumbdn] Really...well then' date='you're a rare bird indeed mate.[/quote']

Absolutely.

Perhaps it is because I started when I was both overly enthusiastic and too dumb to realize I could be making a fool of myself.

I was probably in 7th grade when I started jamming on a little hangout across the road from Deerfield Beach Florida called "The Beach Burger". We were terrible, but so was everybody else back then.

While most of the boys were on the water surfing, I was at the Beach Burger playing among other things surf music with a few buddies of mine. Most of the girls were at the Beach Burger and I was getting more attention from them than the guys on the surfboards. This was a good thing as the male hormones were running riot in the teen years. I was only playing tenor saxophone back then, an instrument that many females find sexy.

They we played for a junior high school dance, still playing with my buddies, we got applause every 5 minutes or so and the girl who wouldn't look at me in English class was suddenly making eyes at me. And at the end of the night they actually paid me money!!!!!!!!!!

In junior high I sat first chair in the all-county band, and as soon as I was eligible to try out for all-state band I sat first chair and sax section leader (a spot that goes to alto players by default) and I repeated that each and every year until I graduated. Being consistently called the best sax player in the state does wonders to boost a person's confidence.

So from an early age I got nothing but positive feedback from being on stage.

I'm more relaxed on stage than in most other social situations. It's as comfortable as an old pair of blue jeans.

In fact, Leilani and I enjoy performing so much that more often than not we skip our breaks and continue playing 3 to 4 hours straight - we did 4.5 hours on New Years Eve without a break, and it was fun. At the end of the night we were tired, but it is a good kind of tired.

Notes

Maybe for you yeah.

But I started and played my first gig in front of my whole school at 11 years old. Year 6. Broke 2 freaking strings while tuning up before going on(maybe explains my phobia about checking and double checking everything before hand)and only had 1 replacement so I made do with 5 bloody strings-was nick named "snap" after that. Had a temper then and still do,no called me that though. Was usually sh*t head.[cool]

Went on to tour and play up to 6 gigs a week which was great.

Turned 18 on the road and partied on with a travelling stripper's revue who were playing at the same club as us. A good night was had by all...the best 18th. a bloke could have-a pool full of strippers,open bar,1980's,anything goes...what wasn't to like?

Even now...I still double check everything. I leave nothing to chance.

Except...but that's another story.

Nowadays.... I don't gig with a band unless it's a very, very infrequent "OMG can you come and..."

Mostly it's a matter for me of figuring the particular house and what to do... making sure the guitar is tuned, perhaps a bit of water for the throat....

I dunno, Notes....

I've been performing since before I can remember (circa 1948) and I still have variations on butterflies, although that varies by venue.

The "piano bar" environment where there's a closeness with a cabaret crowd, or a house where something similar is possible in either a solo or band environment, is an almost butterfly-free thing for me; on stage in a theater type of thing for a single piece is most difficult...

And... playing the national anthem at a special event can bring butterflies since there's no warming up or equipment checks just prior - including guitar tuning which on the hollow-semihollows seems always to change just enough...

m

Archived