Gibson Brands Forums

New kid/Review (not Gibson)

Rambler

Ive alluded to my new guitfiddlle in several posts. Not a Gibby, but here's some detail for any of y'all with an interest.

It's a CFM 000-18 "Woody Guthrie" (Im sure they asked him about the sig). Its a basic 000 (hog back, sitka top) but choice woods and 5/16th scalloped braces (same as the style 28 Clapton model and the 0018v). That configuration makes for a pretty nice all-round guitar. This one's got a good bass pop, glassy top, right mix of punch, sustain, volume. Ive played some constipated 000s, this one isn't. Some folks dont like the V neck (1/3/4) but it works for me, and something I never gave much thought to, the string spacing, is very right on, both for fretting and picking hands--eno' space to get from strings to string but not a stretch. Sounds good on most things I mess around with -- blues, rags, old tyme country, the odd celtic/dadgag piece. Wylie and Willon. A far better guitar than I am a player but I am already playing better on it, so there you go.

It arrived here the 24th, just in time for Thanksgiving. It had gone a few rounds on Ebay. By the time I put my oar in, the price had come down to the point where it was in my ballpark. I did break my "sell one / buy one" ground rule, but hopefully my AJ--shameless plug http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=24342 -- or my strictly players J50 (both superfluous now) will go and make up the difference. Ive had mixed results with mail order before but this one is out of the park. Here's some pics. Cheers.

00018wg_ibcase850.jpg

00018wgtop850.jpg

How old is your Martin? I played one of these sometime back (maybe a 9 or 10 years ago?) with a sunburst finish and I thought it was a really nice guitar for the kind of pickin' I do (very similar in style to your list) - really enjoyed it. I must say that I prefer Martins with a natural finish (and Gibsons with sunbursts for that matter). Nice looking guitar.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Guth

How old is your Martin? I played one of these sometime back (maybe a 9 or 10 years ago?) with a sunburst finish and I thought it was a really nice guitar for the kind of pickin' I do (very similar in style to your list) Guth

Guth, I believe its an '01. Really stands out from some of the recent std 00018s Ive happened to play. More ring. More nuts. Shines for fingerstyle but deosnt mind a flatpick at all.

Woody has a signature model from both Martin and Gibson. How many other artists have sig models from both companies? Red 333

Elvis: J200 king o'rock & D28ep. If you count electrics, add Steve Howe (MC28SH, ES175 SH). Hmm Woody, Elvis, & Howe--doenst quite add up to a trinity, somehow. As for the top, Red, model specs indicate sitka,and judging from the bear claw, that's what Id say. That's some pretty wide grain on the top side --I think it may help accentuate the low end.

Bringing this back to the Gibson end of the thread: bass is more of a pop than a Gibson thump, top glassier, sustains a little more, but this 24.9 Martin has more midrange presence to this ear than their 25.5 models, which makes it a winner for folk and roots music.

btw, again, I cant say how impressed I am by the string spacing on this 000-- stretches arent to wide, but I dont get caught between strings, either fretting hand or pick hand. One downer on an otherwise excellent OJ I tested out was that the spacing was too wide. It's something to think about when you go shopping.

Finally, thanks to everyone who helped me with advice and info over the last year or so i've been on the hunt. You know who you are. Its appreciated. JK

Beautiful guitar JK, congratulations!!!

I think he got a Dove' date=' too, if I remember correctly.[/quote']
Elvis: J200 king o'rock & D28ep.

I think Elvis has had three different signature models made by Gibson recently: King of Rock J200, Dove Elvis and the most interesting J200 Elvis Presley limited edition, 300 of which were made in 2009. The first two do not really look like Elvis' Black Dove and 70s Black J200. The only true replica is the limited run featuring Elvis's name inlaid in capital letters on the fingerboard and the modern art custom pickguard. This is the 1956 J200N guitar that Presley got from Scotty Moore and that Scotty sent back to the factory to be refurbished and customised in 1960. Elvis also owned a 1960 J200 if I remember well.

Epiphone also made two or three Elvis' models...

the string spacing' date=' is very right on, both for fretting and picking hands--eno' space to get from strings to string but not a stretch.

[/quote']

Gotta say the string spacing is major. It's so great to land each note, each chord, just how you want to and rely almost entirely on feel, not thought, to do so.

I comment cuz there's a Hummingbird Artist I'm in love with - the neck and fretboard, the spacing particularly, are perfect for me. It makes playing "playing" and not "working".

BUT, theres a Hummingbird Standard that has exceptional tone, dynamics, warmth - it scores 10+ in sound for me, but I still find I have the same little fudges and slips making chords that I do on my Martin.

Oh Where Are You, Perfect Guitar!?!?!?!?!?

Gotta say the string spacing is major. I comment cuz there's a Hummingbird Artist I'm in love with - the neck and fretboard' date=' the spacing particularly, are perfect for me. BUT, theres a Hummingbird Standard that has exceptional tone but I still find I have the same little fudges and slips Oh Where Are You, Perfect Guitar!?!?!?!?!?[/quote']

Shows how hard it is to buy sight unseen/ear unheard. The one thing I had going this time around was that I knew this one would be set up like a Clapton (00028EC) and I knew from experience that those worked out well for me. Good luck, Tom.

Archived