Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Lacquer cracking/crazing -timeline?

Swicket

5 hours ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Tom Murphy always used a regular razor knife blade on his relic LPs. Personally I used a heat gun and compressed gas as Murph had detailed. Hair Dryer not hot enough. Just be careful you don't roast it! I even used a razor to give it an imitation top crack.

I don't know Hoser - that's craziness!

7 hours ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Tom Murphy always used a regular razor knife blade on his relic LPs. Personally I used a heat gun and compressed gas as Murph had detailed. Hair Dryer not hot enough. Just be careful you don't roast it! I even used a razor to give it an imitation top crack.

xtJpKYM.jpg

I lifted the entire nitro finish off the top of a Guild (purposely) using just a hair dryer. Peeled up like a bad sunburn. So, I'd be careful with the heat.

On one of my Gibsons the finish was "blistering" right in front of the bridge. I called Bozman just to ask what they thought caused it to happen. The person I spoke to (name long forgotten) told me he was most likely the guy who sprayed the finish. He couldn't tell me what caused the problem, but he offered to refinish the top for me. I asked him how they would strip just the top. He said by using a heat lamp. That's what gave me the idea of stripping my Guild top with a hair dryer. I don't know how your gold top's finish survived.

BTW: I didn't take him up on the offer.

Edited by gearbasher

My '95 Dove has the most lacquer crazing of all of my guitars. It looks like something from the '50s. My '94 L-00, on the other hand, has barely any.

It's all to do with environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, etc. I personally like a bit of lacquer crazing, it's a very cool look!

My J-45 is a 2003. It's been gigged enough to have been through some temperature changes here in Illinois, although I am careful to let it acclimate as much as possible. My main reason for this is condensation. Which scares the he11 out of me.

While I am careful with instruments because I love them and I payed for them and I will pay for their replacements, I do not "baby" them. I will take them to my cabin without a case, lean them against a wall, and play them in direct sunlight if that's where the gig is.

Having said that, my '03 has very little checking in the nitro. Therefore I will say it takes 15/20 years to NATURALLY begin the process. 

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Mary Jane Eichl said:

I bought a white Dove Gibson which has developed many lacquer finish cracks.  New guitar bought 2018.....bought from Bozeman MT.......from Music Villa music store....what should I do or be concerned?

Mary Jane Eichler

jmjbees@mymts.net

You should talk to the folks at Music Villa about it. That's an unusual finish which may behave differently. There's probably no way to "fix" it other than a refinish, but Music Villa may know if there has been a problem with that particular color, or if it is something related to the environment the guitar is stored in. 

If it is an opaque white guitar, there is a whole lot of pigment in that finish.

Yes, I called Music Villa and talked to owner Paul....I also sent a photo when the guitar had only two finish check/cracks running from bridge to bottom on front of guitar.....He assured me would talk to Gibson factory......that was end of 2019 or beginning of 2020.....

This Guitar was sent to me by Music Villa when I was at my winter home in California 2019 around the end of February or beginning March by UPS......

now the guitar has many long finish cracks on the face of it....it is an opaque white...

Mary Jane  “Jane”

2 minutes ago, Mary Jane Eichl said:

Yes, I called Music Villa and talked to owner Paul....I also sent a photo when the guitar had only two finish check/cracks running from bridge to bottom on front of guitar.....He assured me would talk to Gibson factory......that was end of 2019 or beginning of 2020.....

This Guitar was sent to me by Music Villa when I was at my winter home in California 2019 around the end of February or beginning March by UPS......

now the guitar has many long finish cracks on the face of it....it is an opaque white...

Mary Jane  “Jane”

Usually, the warranty excludes finish problems, but yours seem to have developed unusually early. I would follow up with Music Villa again, with new pictures. They will also want to know how the environment the guitar has been kept in since you got it, so have a clear answer on that.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

Usually, the warranty excludes finish problems, but yours seem to have developed unusually early. I would follow up with Music Villa again, with new pictures. They will also want to know how the environment the guitar has been kept in since you got it, so have a clear answer on that.

Thank you......