Gibson Brands Forums

String(s) question.

HBTN

Avoiding a long story I mentioned in a comment I made in another post... Any input on Non-Gibson strings for an Electric Les Paul Studio? I restrung mine today and a one of the new strings (High E) broke before I even got to tune the damn thing, so I have the luxury of getting to go buy new strings yet again; however, the catch is that I'm allergic to nickel and from what I've seen, all the Gibson lin strings are nickel coated/plated, and though it doesnt effect my fingers/hands - I do notice I find myself itchy later/the next day. Sounds prety trivial, but I can't think of anything else that may be causing it.

Anyway, I'd be looking for something similiar in regards to standard .010-.046 - preferably uncoated IF possible (I'm picky). If I can't seem to get a suggestion that I can see myself settling on, then I suppose I'll have to adjust.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure most of the major string manufacturers make strings for people allergie to nickel, but the only ones I know of offhand are Ernie Ball Stainless Steel strings. Check out the following link: https://store.ernieball.com/product/part_number=P02246/574.0.5908.16037.12031.5281.0

If your local stores don't carry them, you can for sure get them at musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com

Good luck and keep playing!

how about nanowebs or other coated strings:-k

Yup Elixir nanowebs have a plastic coating over the wound strings and the plain strings are stainless steel coated. They sound great too!

And they last a long time too.

elixir_nano_AR_sl.jpg

I do notice I find myself itchy later/the next day. Sounds prety trivial' date=' but I can't think of anything else that may be causing it.[/quote']

Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the nickel strings, maybe your going through Gibson withdrawls. Junkie needs his next fix. =D>

I second the elixir nanowebs.

That is pretty strange. Nickel allergies are pretty localized (the itch and rediness is usually at the point where the skin touches the nickel). I have a nickel allergy and have to use brass belt buckels. I have never had an issue with strings, though.

Good luck.

That is pretty strange. Nickel allergies are pretty localized (the itch and rediness is usually at the point where the skin touches the nickel). I have a nickel allergy and have to use brass belt buckels. I have never had an issue with strings' date=' though.

Good luck. [/quote']

I saw a dermatologist about it a few years back when I first started having issues - it was pretty bad. Nonetheless, they said my reactions were fairly severe because the irritated areas seemed to spread by touch. For example, I scratch my waist [From belt buckles at the time] then my head - head itches. It kind of sucks, but its just something I've had to adjust to. No cheap jewelry here though ;D.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I got some input from some other places as well along with a guy at GC (Only music store thats relatively close, and the guy who helped me was suprisingly helpful unlike the others who would probably sell their damn shoes if I asked).

I'm settled on .011-.049 Elixir Nanowebs along with some .010-.046 D'Addario ProSteels. I strung up the Elixirs first, but I'm not too sure how I feel about them yet... They feel almost buttery/silky in a way, but I'll have to really judge that later when I break them in a little more.

Archived