Gibson Brands Forums

How Long Did You Wait for Your Les Paul??

DuaLeaD

I thought I would start this post after seeing the one from the guy waiting on his heritage sunburst Standard.

I've been wondering what the average wait time is for different models. The guy at my local music store said Gibson usually gets them out in a week or even within a week of ordering which seems a bit too good to be true for me.

Please list the model, color, year of your Les Paul and approximately how long you waited on it. Even custom shop models as I'm sure someone would like to know....

I ordered the 2007 Les Paul Supreme in Alpine White that you see in my avatar, on May 8th, 2007. I calculated that I would have the money before my Aug 21st birthday of last year and was worried it would come sooner. Well, it ended up being a Christmas present to myself; coming in on December 17th, 2007!! Over 7 months!!

1) From what I gathered, it is a Supreme afterall and I assume Gibson will only let their best craftsmen work on it because with a model name like that and being it IS a Gibson, there are going to be high expectations.

2) The other complication is that the guitar happened to be white. My Gibson dealer at the store told me that every 2 months for two days, the factory hardcore cleans/purifies its spray nozzles and gear. And for those two days, they spray only white guitars. I can see why since any gunk left in there would show up horribly on a white surface. After that, it's rinse 'n repeat and then they can go back into color production again.

3) I will also say that there were 30 Alpine White Supremes in active production at that time so that *might* have affected it. *shrugs*

Take that for what you will....

THAT'S NOT TO SAY IT WASN'T ALL WORTH THE WAIT!!

When it came in that cold December night (the owner of another location had personally drove 50 miles to give it to me being his staff was incompetant to give it to me when I was there. They couldn't find it in the back room lol) and I unveiled it under my living room lights, I was in disbelief. My jaw had dropped and I wondered..."Is this beautiful work of art before me a guitar?....Is this even real??"

Phil ...

Im with you buddy. Millions of Les Pauls, no two are the same.

Ive been called anal for what I go through to buy a guitar. I have to lighten up

I suppose.

Love the avatar...

George Harrison is a God to me.

I was told on the LP Standard (I am the heritage sunburst guy) takes 30 days after the order is placed. I would assume that some dealers are treated better than others based on sales volume. For instance, I am sure guitar center gets guitars a lot faster than the local shop down the street.

Phil ...

Im with you buddy. Millions of Les Pauls' date=' no two are the same.

Ive been called anal for what I go through to buy a guitar. I have to lighten up

I suppose.

Love the avatar...

George Harrison is a God to me.

[/quote']

Never change dude! I have been called many thing for being picky, but I love to select my guitars myself instead of what ever random guitar is given to me by god knows who.

And you are right, Harrisson is a God.

1) From what I gathered' date=' it is a Supreme afterall and I assume Gibson will only let their best craftsmen work on it because with a model name like that and being it IS a Gibson, there are going to be high expectations.[/quote']

I doubt only Gibson's "best craftsmen" work on Supremes...they don't have elves that come out once a month to build Les Paul Supremes on a "Les Paul Supreme only" assembly line and then go back to their tree (I'm thinking of Keebler Elves right now). I think you're letting the name get to your head. It's just a Les Paul with a few differences. I'm betting they're made by the same people that make every USA Les Paul.

I doubt only Gibson's "best craftsmen" work on Supremes...they don't have elves that come out once a month to build Les Paul Supremes on a "Les Paul Supreme only" assembly line and then go back to their tree (I'm thinking of Keebler Elves right now).

Mmmmmm..... cookies......

To be honnest with no' date=' no wait. I refuse to buy guitars without playing them first. I have heard horror stories here in Canada about models taking over a year to arrive.[/quote']

I have a horror story of my own, of which I may take a little heat for, but recieve praise at the same time for the end decision. My family nor myself never really had the money while I was growing up to afford a quality instrument. I kind of always wanted to learn something, but that, along with being content with a Nintendo, held it back until my mid teens. Then I started on drums, played those for about a year and realized I didn't have the motivation to get good, so I took friends advice and moved on to bass. Well after a couple years of that I realized I wasn't quite feeling that either. I wanted a REAL guitar, but was discouraged because of my little effing fat fingers, so mid last year I began looking into making a final change...

I started doing research on electric guitars, and as I had learned fairly early - goon investments generally aren't cheap. As I narrowed my choices I found myself leaning towards Gibsons (Les Pauls) and Ibanez' (Prestiges). A few more months went by, of which I played around with each, and found myself leaning even more towards Ibanez, but the colors were holding me back. At the time all they had was a fugly blue and red, so I decided to stiff it out a couple months to see what 2008 colors would be available which ended up being Black & Candy Apple Red. The day the colors were released I headed down to GC with my bass and the rest being cash to order my Candy Apple Red Ibanez RG1570 Prestige - and the day of there was a six week wait for that color already, so I got in line.

A little more than two months later a shiny new guitar was at my doorstep - with a chip in the finish on the back of the body. (On a side note, during those two months I dropped in the store two to three times a week and found myself playing Gibsons and only Gibsons). I took it to the store where they offered to fix it, and while it was "being fixed" I was given very simple, good advice - don't buy an instrument unless you can play it! I took that to heart and began regretting my decision until I got a call from saying that it could not be fixed to its original state. I went in where they offered to send it back - expedited - and get a new one within two weeks. I lucked the ef out and was relieved, so I threw out the option of exchanging for something they had in stock - how could they resist? They didn't.

I subletly headed towards the Gibsons I had been playing for two months and picked up the two I had played the most over that time. One being the one I own now, and the other being a Natural Ash Studio (I'm in college, so I don't have the cash for one much better). The Gibson I settled on was a Natural Finish Worn Cherry Studio, and thats because it "spoke" to me. I paid the small difference since this only a couple days after the "no deal" decision, and left with a guitar I have ZERO regrets about owning.

In the end I lucked out, and as I like to think - fate didn't want me to have that *cough*crappy*cough* Ibanez. And as someone said about names... I believe an instrument is, at most, half as good as the person playing it. (I'm not a Fender fan, though I think I'd take one over an Ibanez of lately, but look at some of the phenominal guitarists who play them). My story and two cents.

Heres what I ended up taking home. It isn't anything spectacular, but I already blathered about that.

(The pictures aren't the best ~shrug~)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/xHBTNx/Other/Guitar.jpg

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/xHBTNx/Other/?action=view&current=Guitar2.jpg

18 months. My wife said get an LP for our anniversary about 18 months before I bought it at GC in Nashville. So I "waited" (shopped for guitars) for about a year and a half before I found the DB LP Std in my avatar. Well worth the wait :-&

I have played every instrument I own before I purchased it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't order one... especially if I were looking for mo' special guitar like a Robot or GOTM.

You guys are right, of course. But I just don't have the time to shop around. I have a 14 month old and twins on the way (I have been busy). I am lucky to get more than 10 minutes to run out on a weekday. I played a number of Gibsons to make sure it was the right guitar. I then found a certified dealer in Wisconsin (I live in Illinois) who gave me a great price on an LP I wanted (standard, heritage, 60s neck) and agreed to ship it across the border for free (and no taxes). They are about an hour away so I figure if the guitar is complete crap I will return it. They are a very reputable dealer and great to deal with.

The other advantage is that it hasn't been sitting around the shop all day. It is coming from the factory. I figure if I am paying $2k+ for a guitar then I have should have the right to put the first scratch in it. I also hate the big guitar chain stores. Never had a good vibe from the people who work there.

It is not ideal...but my options are limited.

The good news is that we are finishing our basement. My goal is to sneak down there every night and drown out my crying brood with my Gibson (when it arrives, that is).

I doubt only Gibson's "best craftsmen" work on Supremes...they don't have elves that come out once a month to build Les Paul Supremes on a "Les Paul Supreme only" assembly line and then go back to their tree (I'm thinking of Keebler Elves right now). I think you're letting the name get to your head. It's just a Les Paul with a few differences. I'm betting they're made by the same people that make every USA Les Paul.

That they are!

It's just more eye candy to execute in the building.

But I still can't believe that Gibson is putting the 490R / 498T in the Supremes...........................you can get those in a Studio, and I doubt there's a big difference in sound between the two.

'57's would have been a better option IMHO.

I walked into Dietze music house to look for a 60's Gold Top. They didn't have any in stock (though I was tempted by a 50's Honey Burst). One of the guys there said that the Dietze in Omaha (60 miles away) had a used 60's Gold Top and offered to bring it down the next day as they were trading some inventory. Coincidentally, it had originally belonged to the guitar tech here in Lincoln and I imagined they traded inventory and it ended up in Omaha before coming back to me.

So to answer your question, I waited one day for it to arrive. Walked in, played it, and knew it was the one.

But if it's any consolation, it was one of the longest days EVER!!! ;-)

Archived