Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Not Giving Up, Honestly!

Shnate McDuanus

Hey guys, sorry for all of the trouble.

Also, thank you all for the encouragement. I didn't really want to come off as "needing attention," but I'm sure that's how it ended up. I'm sticking with it, though--the playing, that is. I'm going to try to keep on playing for as long as my fingers keep moving and my ears keep hearing. I'm sure that in time I'll find myself very proud of something or other, and then soon after I'll get even more discouraged than I had been.

Unrealistic goals shouldn't cause me to give up on something that, frankly, I love doing. Hell, I'm sure Rory wouldn't have wanted me to play like him anyway. It would only make his music less special, without doing anything for me, because even then I'd just be an imitation.

I'm going to keep pounding out notes, because every one is just a subtle improvement on the last.

That all said, here's the next thing for me: I've set a few goals, to keep myself motivated.

I've compiled a list of ten songs I'd like to learn to play competently within the next year.

I've also finally decided upon a new amp, and I'll begin saving up towards that. That's a more long-term goal, as I have other expenses I need to deal with at the same time.

I'm going to make an effort to teach myself something new every day I pick up a guitar--if I reach for the guitar, I won't go to sleep that day until I've taught myself something new and been able to apply it somewhere.

I'm going to make an effort to play with others at least once a month.

I have a teacher who's been working with me on theory and technique for a while now, and I'll continue to work with the exercises and assignments he provides me.

I'm also going to make an effort to write at least two new songs of my own within the year--in addition to the ten that I'm planning on learning.

These goals all seem fairly realistic and manageable to me--I've already begun to work on those ten songs, and it's all moving along much more swiftly than I thought it would.

I'm excited about it now! This year is going to be fun and productive.

Here we go. [cool]

Guitar takes a lot of work. Sometimes you really disappoint yourself when you watch or hear someone who's amazing, but if you keep at it, eventually you will impress yourself. It took LONG time for me to be comfortable with my own playing. If you stick with it, challenge yourself, and always practice- you will shred one day.

Instead of trying to sound/play like Rory Gallagher' date=' you should be trying to develope you own style/sound. Not that you can't try to emulate him, but when you base your abilities on someone else, it can hamper your ability to progress.

[/quote']

Well put.

The key word here kid is ''realistic''. Unrealistic goals or the absense of them lead to non-progress, frustration & dissapointment. Keep it realistic and stick to it.

And also remember: It's a hobby to you. It is supposed to be FUN and not a cause of frustration. Always practise but also keep in mind that you need to simply play and f$ck around with your guitar as well! It's healthy![biggrin]

I've compiled a list of ten songs I'd like to learn to play competently within the next year.

I told myself that I would never consider myself a guitarist until I could play three songs;

Dust In The Wind

Hotel California

Stairway To Heaven

30 years later' date=' I'm still not a guitarist.

[biggrin

Good to hear Xdemonknight! It only gets easier, but you never run out of things to learn. There's always a new technique or music genre.

Say Neo, what's hangin' you up on those? I'll offer some help learning any part you need help with.

Hybrid Picking on the opening to Stairway,

Capo at the 7th fret on your 12 string SG for the intro to Hotel, I could post the chord voicing if you like,

and there's two acoustics on Dust in the Wind making it very hard to cover solidly on one acoustic, but a little pseudo-jazz voicing on the A minor sells it nicely.

Instead of trying to sound/play like Rory Gallagher' date=' you should be trying to develope you own style/sound. Not that you can't try to emulate him, but when you base your abilities on someone else, it can hamper your ability to progress.

[/quote']

Read my post. I said (or implied) that I wasn't trying to sound/play like Rory Gallagher. I'm trying to develop my own style/sound.

Why does everyone seem to get so hung up on that as if it were my main talking point?

Read my post. I said (or implied) that I wasn't trying to sound/play like Rory Gallagher. I'm trying to develop my own style/sound.

Why does everyone seem to get so hung up on that as if it were my main talking point?

My own impression is that everyone seems to be trying to help you get past something you should be able to deal with on your own. And you're still whining. Man up.

I told myself that I would never consider myself a guitarist until I could play three songs;

Dust In The Wind

Hotel California

Stairway To Heaven

30 years later' date=' I'm still not a guitarist.

[biggrin

One of the first songs my old guitar teacher taught me, once I became proficient enough, was Dust In The Wind. He taught me a style called Travis Pick, and once I learned it, finger picking is almost second nature.

That song, and a classical piece called The Spanish Ballad were the two songs that taught me the foundations of finger picking.

Archived