Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for info about Robots

kingtf

Good afternoon all:

I have an opportunity to pick up a Robot LP. Being fairly unfamiliar with the technology and its capabilities, what do I need to know about the Robot Les Paul.

What should I be looking for/aware of?

Thanks for any input y'all can provide.

Do you want the honest answer, or do you want it to be coated in sugar?

You're better off getting a regular LP of some sort, because the Robot LPs (all incarnations) are POS, and I'm not just saying that because I don't like them.

Ever since their launch, people have had numerous problems with them. Everything from finish/construction issues to problems with the software/electronics, the lack of correct peripherals is a huge problem as well. Not to mention that they don't come with a user-manual, and Gibson CS is clueless when it comes to them. Also, if ANYTHING goes wrong with the electronics, they cannot be fixed by a guitar repair person, or even by Gibson, they will have to be sent back to the electronics manufacturer (in China), as they don't have the ability to fix them in-house.

I'm sure there are a few that are decent (that actually work), but IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

As far as I'm concerned, Robot LPs are the Xbox 360 of the guitar world.

Just my honest opinion.

Do you want the honest answer' date=' or do you want it to be coated in sugar?

You're better off getting a regular LP of some sort, because the Robot LPs (all incarnations) are POS, and I'm not just saying that because I don't like them.

Ever since their launch, people have had numerous problems with them. Everything from finish/construction issues to problems with the software/electronics, the lack of correct peripherals is a huge problem as well. Not to mention that they don't come with a user-manual, and Gibson CS is clueless when it comes to them. Also, if ANYTHING goes wrong with the electronics, they cannot be fixed by a guitar repair person, or even by Gibson, they will have to be sent back to the electronics manufacturer (in China), as they don't have the ability to fix them in-house.

I'm sure there are a few that are decent (that actually work), but IMHO, it's not worth the risk.

As far as I'm concerned, Robot LPs are the Xbox 360 of the guitar world.

[/quote']

Xbox 360?

Boy if this wanst a guitar forum i would turn this topic into an argument.

I love my robot and they are now hard to find. Sam Ash is sold out. I have had no problems and all the professional musicians I know love my guitar and want it. Hey, mine is great but just run a search online and you will hear reviews by the hundreds and most are good. I did do my research before buying.

PICT0503.jpg

They are pretty good guitars for the money if you play in multiple tunings on a regular basis, at least that's why I bought mine. But, if you don't play multiple tunings on a regular basis i don't see why you would need the robot.......unless you don't know how to tune. BUT, honestly if you don't know how to tune you wouldn't need a Gibson anyways and are better off with a Epi....... [scared]

Also' date=' if ANYTHING goes wrong with the electronics, they cannot be fixed by a guitar repair person, or even by Gibson, they will have to be sent back to the electronics manufacturer (in China), as they don't have the ability to fix them in-house.

[/quote']

Tronical is the supplier for the powertune system and it is in Germany not China.

Just one thing to consider before buying:

The street price of the very first run limited models, actually decreased significantly snce their launch. A year ago I saw e-bay closed deals that did not fetch more than Standars in the same condition.

On the other hand, this doesn't necessarily guarantee anything for their future value. Hell, Gibson was selling far more SGs than Les Paul when they first introduced the SG.

Anyway, in the years I have come not to trust electronic products (yes, Robot is AS WELL an electronic product) that claim to do multiple things. Doing one thing right is enough for me. I would only consider getting one only if I actually needed fast alternate tuning quite often.

Best of luck with what you decide anyway.

Archived