Gibson Brands Forums

Bogus Or Real ????

RIPRIDER

i'm definately no expert on this but to me, the pickup selector pad is crooked (shouldnt be), the binding looks too yellow,i dont think the serial number should be stamped in ink like that or in that format and the inlays look really gold, which ive never seen before.

Like i said, im no expert but thats what looks wrong to me.

Ya its a shame that that Fake is going to screw someone big time...Look at the Gibson on the headstock also..where to swoosh is from the O to the N is on the top....some poor bastard is gonna take it in the A$$$$$

Ya its a shame that that Fake is going to screw someone big time...Look at the Gibson on the headstock also..where to swoosh is from the O to the N is on the top....some poor bastard is gonna take it in the A$$$$$

I don't know guitars very well by ANY means, let alone Gibsons... And that one looked funny for some reason. I wonder why... Oh wait:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/9552

Look familiar? "Epiphone Les Paul" in Google - must be hard to modify a headstock. Tempting to report it to eBay, people need to learn; I('ll) feel bad for whoever eats up fakes so easily.

It's real. Binding is yellowed because it's 20 years old. Pickup switches don't always come perfectly straight from the factory. The guys feedback is flawless and all the pics look accurate. Plus, the price is way too high and accurate. People selling fakes don't have that many pictures. It even has the correct tuning keys for a reissue of that kind. Not all that glitters is Chinese. They're good but not THAT good. Someone back me up here!

O.K. this is a one in a lifetime find. Brand new/old stock on a 35th anniversary black beauty, my god I will never see one more like this in my lifetime. At the risk of forgers finding out this, I'll set you guys straight on this one, try and follow along, you guys should know this. The logo, I still have not seen a good forgery, some are close, but not this one, It's real

(1). The top of the "S" were it starts to go into the "O" is wider and looks smeared. That's right

(2). From the top of the "O" just when it leaves the "O" and goes into the "N" is real skinny and almost looks like (if you look at it sideways) 90wt oil when it drips. That's right.

(3). The dot on the "I". That's right and in the correct spot.

(4). The inside of the "B" and "O" is like a "D". That's right.

(5). The bottom of the"G" when it goes into the "I" is just right, real skinny and turns the two into a "U". That's right.

(6). On the bottom of the "I" and the "B" you have your 3 little drips, 1 on the "I" and 2 on the "B". That's right. (7). It's got the closed "B" and the closed "O".

These things are gibson's trade mark signatures in thier logo just like trade marks on a u.s. dollar bill, and they are all there on this one, you just have to look at it.

The only thing that's a little off is the top right in the "O" in the "B" it's too thick right there and almost looks smeared and in the tip of the whip on the "N", well it's off, but you'll never find all six of the correct things I have pointed out to "you-all" in a fake or forgery.

The fact that the guitar is outside under that bright sun doesnt thrill me either.

Nitro is a skin, and we all know what the sun does to skin.

btw...Riprider.

That guitar in your avatar is stunning!....beautiful piece of wood.

A word of caution... I did a google on, 1989 35TH ANNIVERSARY GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM. I found a guitar store in Sydney Australia that have and are selling the same guitar and they also say the guitar is new and unplayed.... The guitar on Ebay is being sold from Florida. What are the chances of two 1989 35TH ANNIVERSARY GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM's that are new and unplayed?

The fact that the guitar is outside under that bright sun doesnt thrill me either.

Nitro is a skin' date=' and we all know what the sun does to skin.

btw...Riprider.

That guitar in your avatar is stunning!....beautiful piece of wood.[/quote'] Oh come on man on the right sunny day, outside will produce the best photo's

Oh come on man on the right sunny day' date=' outside will produce the best photo's[/quote']

I agree, the best photos are taken in natural light. I wouldn't think they actually left that gutar outside after taking the pictures.... A few moments in the sun won't harm the guitar or it's finish.

I thought real as well' date=' the serial # is applied like my custom shop which always surprised me.

[img']http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/jmonk/SL380390.jpg[/img]

Hey Jomo, got a photo you would like to share of the gibson logo on the front of the headstock, for a comparison purpose only, and well so i can drool and slober over myself in jealousy.

Hey Jomo' date=' got a photo you would like to share of the gibson logo on the front of the headstock, for a comparison purpose only, and well so i can drool and slober over myself in jealousy.[/quote']

Hey ... you arent trying to copy that logo arent you? =D>

I thought real as well' date=' the serial # is applied like my custom shop which always surprised me.

[/quote']

That's why it's important to get the certificate with the custom shops. Problem is there are too many sources of things like decals and such being made, and Gibson probably has it's hands full tracking down all of the sources to prevent all of theose Trademark violations. I would think Gibson would be taking all of those sellers on eBay right here in the US selling the headstock logos. The potential for buying a fraud is so great anymore, that is why I only buy my Gibsons from Authorized dealers where my purchase is backed by Gibson, or from reputable dealers like Gruhn's and Elderly where they will stand behind what they sell.

Archived