Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Scale Length.

Andre S

I'm not sure I understand the question. The scale length is fixed' date=' based on the design and construction. What is it you're trying to accomplish? [/quote']

Trying to get a slinkier feel on my strings. They really stiff.

Trying to get a slinkier feel on my strings. They really stiff.

You can either get lighter gauge strings or try some Newtone Silk and Steel strings

check out this post over on AGF....you are not alone in your quest.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83632

I love shorter scale guitars..all my guits but one have a shorter scale and I do feel the difference when I play my 000-15S with it's 25.4 scale.

Wow' date=' you move fast! Why, just last week you were posting in the Vintage section that you were in the market for one.

And yours has a longer scale length? Must be worth a lot of money, because every one ever made was 24-3/4".[/quote']

Yeah I found one for sale at a place called Jacksons Rare Guitars. for the price they were asking (AU$5000) it was hard to let is pass. Mr Jackson himself said that he's seen the L5-S with three different scale lengths - 24 3/4, 25 (like a Johnny Smith) and 25 1/2. He said that the 25.5 is by far the rarest, although it wasnt technically custom because Gibson was already producing fretboards and necks that size.

Changing scale length requires:

1. "Stanley" cross cut saw

2. Steady hand on above saw

3. Whole mess of clamps

4. 2.6 gals of hide glue

5. Fret saw

6. 3' of new fret wire

7. Fret file

8. Fret dresser

9. Pint can of wood filler

10. Pint of rosewood stain

or

$5,173.16 to have the boys down to the Guit tar Center do it for you.

Changing scale length requires:

1. "Stanley" cross cut saw

2. Steady hand on above saw

3. Whole mess of clamps

4. 2.6 gals of hide glue

5. Fret saw

6. 3' of new fret wire

7. Fret file

8. Fret dresser

9. Pint can of wood filler

10. Pint of rosewood stain

or

$5' date='173.16 to have the boys down to the Guit tar Center do it for you.[/quote']

Don't forget the snake oil!

Yeah I found one for sale at a place called Jacksons Rare Guitars. for the price they were asking (AU$5000) it was hard to let is pass. Mr Jackson himself said that he's seen the L5-S with three different scale lengths - 24 3/4' date=' 25 (like a Johnny Smith) and 25 1/2. He said that the 25.5 is by far the rarest, although it wasnt technically custom because Gibson was already producing fretboards and necks that size.

[/quote']

Wow . . . Jackson's Rare guitars is so expensive, but it's a great shop. (it's probably not expensive by Australian terms though. When I lived in Australia all guitars were really expensive! That's probably about the only reason I left).

Wow . . . Jackson's Rare guitars is so expensive' date=' but it's a great shop. (it's probably not expensive by Australian terms though. When I lived in Australia all guitars were really expensive! That's probably about the only reason I left). [/quote']

Its the only one I trust in Australia to give a good appraisal of vintage guitars. by australian terms, 5000 for an L5-S seems about average. I've seen five with the short LP scale length, two with the longer Johnny Smith and the one I now own is the only one I've ever seen with a 25.5 scale length. I measured it up against my other long scale guitars and it is indeed 25 1/2. It would appear that they did infact produce some with longer scale lengths (wether by custom order or Gibson's infamous inconsistency during the 70's I'm not sure).

Archived