Gibson Brands Forums

What EFX Pedals Are You Using With Your Hollow Bodys?

JazzGtr

Personally, I'm against the idea of using a pedal with my 4 hollow body guitars.[blink]

My idol Wes Montgomery never used such demon devices. He was once quoted for saying "All I need is a guitar, cord, amp and my hands to produce all of the efects I need". And I still believe he so gifted, he probably could do it.

And as much as I tried not to use them, I must admit, I have falling off the wagon many times.[confused] Sorry Wes!

So, here's my list of EFX per hollow body guitar:

L5: Boss Digital Reverb, Boss Chorus

ES 346 PJR: Xoctic Robotalk 2, Xoctic RC Booster, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah

CS 356: Xoctic BB Booster, Xoctic AC Booster, Boss Digital Delay (soon to be replayed with Plush Replay Jr.)

Jazz

Isn`t the question here which kind of music you play? And the style of this music?

For example... when playing (standard) Jazz you would probably only use chorus, reverb and perhaps a bit compressor... but you could just play pure guitar into the amp... and what about Modern Jazz? You may want to use more here...

I guess for blues it`s pretty much the same...

No outboard pedals. The amp I use for the jazzboxes does have built-in chorus/ phase/ flange, reverb/delay, and channel switching.

With my general and usual setup I always dial in a little reverb, and have used the chorus and channel switching on occasion.

The big band recently did a song that called for wah-wah. It must have been a first to play an L-5 through a Cry Baby. Certainally nothing Wes would have done.

Isn`t the question here which kind of music you play? And the style of this music?

For example... when playing (standard) Jazz you would probably only use chorus' date=' reverb and perhaps a bit compressor... but you could just play pure guitar into the amp... and what about Modern Jazz? You may want to use more here...

I guess for blues it`s pretty much the same...[/quote']

No, that's not the question. Although if I owned only one guitar, your point would be correct. For example, I don't use my L5 to play rock. I would either use my PRS or Strat. Since I owned a type guitar for most genres it's simply to stay true to the music by choosing the guitar first that sounds best, if that makes any sense. [crying]

I just wanted to know how many hollow body owners were using efx with their guitars and to what extremes.

Jazz

These days my playing is mostly limited to home recording rather than, say, playing in a cover band where you're trying to replicate specific effects, but I have a few goodies for my CS-356 that come in handy in that situation:

A Crybaby Classic, a TR-2 for infrequent tremolo, a BD-2 for a nice organic overdrive, an OCD for a nicer and more organic o.d. that pushes toward distortion, and an Option 5 Destination Phase because, well, I love a good phaser and this one has stereo output. All that goes into a Damage Control Womanizer pedal, which is my main tone generator and the only thing on much of the time. Silly name, but it's a terrific, tube-driven direct-recording option that sounds a lot like a small Fender combo. Most everything else I need for recording (delay, reverb, compression) comes from software.

I have a zoom 707II and use it to dial in a little bit of what the other guys mentioned.

But it's more to overcome some of what I consider a slight weakness to my amp rather than to get a totally different sound.

OTOH, I do have a Leslie emulator I use on the semi-hollow. That's actually a replacement for an old Fender Leslie.

That latter is actually for when my head likes to think I'm fretting a B3. <grin>

m

Archived