Gibson Brands Forums

Joan Jetts Melody Maker questions.

duane v

Well since I've been informed I wont see my Bucket head LP until March[crying] .. I've decided to embark on another project (JJ's MM)..... in the mean while

1. Who has played one???? and what's your take on the instrument.

2. I have a 82 Gibson Khaler tremolo, a 1983 Tim Shaw pup, and a Gibson embossed 73 single coil pup I plan to route for....

The above mods are what I have planned if I get a good response about the guitar. My daughter has a 2008 MM, and it does play very well after its maiden trip to the Luthier that is.

Ive played two.

It was either one of those or two pup MM.

I took the two pup since the neck felt better and it has two pups.

They are worth the price but if you were a begginer i say save up for a studio.

Anyway you should go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO' date=' nothing Gibbie makes is really a beginners guitar, even the MM's, Studios, and Special fadeds can be professional quality, if you get a good one.[/quote']

Too right mate. Heck, the Gibson LP Junior is the weapon of choice by many legends - You can still see Keith Richards playing one today.

Duane, I think a stetsbar (just like the one you put in there) will look better than a kahler. The kahler will look too modern and hi tech while the guitar kind of calls for something a little more conservative and I think the stetsbar has that look, a bigsby would be too much of a vintage look, don't know if you are into that (for this guitar).

What about both pickups with nickel covers? (the neck would have to be a lipstick style pickup [cool])

Anyway, let us know when you get her and when she's ready.

Duane' date=' I think a stetsbar (just like the one you put in there) will look better than a kahler. The kahler will look too modern and hi tech while the guitar kind of calls for something a little more conservative and I think the stetsbar has that look, a bigsby would be too much of a vintage look, don't know if you are into that (for this guitar).

What about both pickups with nickel covers? (the neck would have to be a lipstick style pickup [biggrin)

Anyway, let us know when you get her and when she's ready.

The Kahler I have is 1982 Gibson stamped brand new out of the box. I gave it to our polisher at work, and she's going to color buff it so that the nickel will show. She's really good at doing things like this with chrome. She handles all our Harley Davidson tool sets.

The lead pick-up has been sent to vintagevibeguitars. It's a Gibson 74-75 PAF, I'm having it rewound to allow for more crunch.... The pup cover has been plated nickel

The neck 74 SG100 single coil pickup is at Curtis Novak getting a Jeff Beck / Hendrix rewind.... The plastic emboss cover is brand new too.

The only issue I'm having trouble finding is some chrome / nickel Schaller late 70 Gibson stamped tulip style tuners. I don't like the Grover's it came with.

It reminds me of Thundergod's Telepaulster.

Oh... definitely casting my vote for keeping the black PG.

I'd also respectfully request pics of the modification process.... that would be VERY cool and educational.

Good Luck!

One more observation....

I've never been a witch-hat volume / tone knob person. But I must admit they look very right on this guitar[cool] ..... They truly add to the already black & white old converse sneakers look[biggrin]

i had my eye on one here in town and played it several times. i loved the BB3. it is a great guitar with a great pickup. the tone isnt mushy at all. the burstbucker 3 has great power but good definition as well. the guitar plays easily - the neck feels great and the tuners (white button) hold their tune well. overall, a great guitar. the one here was a customer return and priced at $575cdn. someone bought it while i was humming and hawing over it.

^^^^

Oh yeah [biggrin] ... that is a nice looking axe' date=' sir!

Will this be your signature model?

When can we order one?

[biggrin

Well I did get the guitar from SweetWater for $669.... great deal IMO.....

Over the last twelve months I've been able to get four brand new Gibson's four under $2500. And they have all been modded to be unique... I know this may go against some of those that feel a Gibson shouldn't be modded, but some Gibby models beg for it IMO

2009 Gibby LPJ = $799

2009 Gibby SG faded = $699

2008 Gibby MM = $320

2009 Gibby JJ MM = $669

I think the Kahler would be awesome.

Also' date=' I'd pay for one of your modded JJ MM's, Duane.

...Well...if I could afford it.[/quote']

Well in all true Gibby fashion I would have to charge....

Duane V #1 Sig: Non-aged an Non signed = $5000 list

Duane V #1 Sig: Aged and Non-signed = $10,000 list

Duane V #1 Sig: Signed, Aged and Played with assorted duane v DNA traces throughout the guitar= $25,000 list

As a bounus I'll throw in a free case[biggrin]

Well in all true Gibby fashion I would have to charge....

Duane V #1 Sig: Non-aged an Non signed = $5000 list

Duane V #1 Sig: Aged and Non-signed = $10' date='000 list

Duane V #1 Sig: Signed, Aged and Played with assorted duane v DNA traces throughout the guitar= $25,000 list

As a bounus I'll throw in a free case[biggrin']

My MI_ Epi Duane V sig copy plays as nice as any Gibson Duane V and sounds even better, if you can believe that. I'm not even going to change the pups. And the scratchy pots are MOJO, man!

Archived