Gibson Brands Forums

Another One Bites The Dust.....

Murph

Yeah, and around here...it's cops waiting outside the "Live Music" clubs, to arrest as many people as possible!

With a Designated driver, or not! In fact, in a neighboring town, one couple took a cab home, because they had

been drinking, and didn't want to risk driving. The cops saw them get into the cab, pulled the cab over, and

arrested the riders! So....It's really getting crazy! Club owners don't want the hassles, anymore...along

with the expenses. So...."Live Music" is getting harder and harder to come by, these days....in "Small Town America!"

;>(

CB

Yeah' date=' and around here...it's cops waiting outside the "Live Music" clubs, to arrest as many people as possible!

With a Designated driver, or not! [/quote']

I guess there is more money in closed clubs?

[biggrin]

Taxes' date=' insurance, and the fear of Obamacare.......

It's a shame, I agree.......[/quote']

murph, what in god's name has "obama care" got to do with the the closing of some dive bar? i mean really? where i live in fla. we've lost lots of hospitality jobs in the last year. to a man, every former manager/owner has squarely blamed the economy for these woes. i'm in this business and saw this stuff coming at the end of 2007. i circled the wagons and have survived up to now. how is it that where you are obama is at fault. i just don't get it.

murph' date=' what in god's name has "obama care" got to do with the the closing of some dive bar?

[/quote']

Wow? This

"DIVE BAR"

seats around 300 people. Has many employees, and is closing because the economy sucks "THIS YEAR" (Obamas year)

They also figured in the upcoming taxes. Maybe you don't know how that's gonna work?

They do....

Well, the small bar and bar/grill/club owners around here, don't seem to hire bands, much, anymore...

even though, every time they do, they make more money, on food and drinks. Too many liabilities, I

suppose.

But, also...a lot of people don't seem to go out, as much, anymore...anyway. Economy, "legal" hassles,

alternative distractions, that didn't even exist, when I was growing up, here. We used to have a "dance,"

"teen-hop" etc...with really good live bands, every weekend, within a reasonable driving distance. THAT,

almost never happens, save a few during the summer holidays (Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July,

Labor Day, etc.). A few others, now and again...but NOTHING like the '60's, even early '70's. I was talking

to a fellow musician, that has lived around here, all his life...(I moved away for 35 years, and came back)

and asked him, if it was due to better "in home" entertainment, etc. He said, he felt like that was a "part of it,"

but he thinks the legal hassling, and tougher drinking/driving laws, and non-smoking laws are the bigger reason.

Who knows, for sure? I think some of the cities, do OK...live music wise, but the rural/small town areas,

are really hurting! At least, around here.

CB

I'm sorry that the club is closing' date=' but you can't blame this on strictly politics (there are other factors). People just can't go out and afford to go clubbing right now until things cause a lot people are out of work.[/quote']

Yep.....

Wow? This

"DIVE BAR"

seats around 300 people. Has many employees' date=' and is closing because the economy sucks "THIS YEAR" (Obamas year)

They also figured in the upcoming taxes. Maybe you don't know how that's gonna work?

They do....

[/quote']

unreal what passes for reason and logic around here sometimes... BTW, i've been in the bar biz for 30 years. i know a sh*thole bar when i see one. they're typically where i'm most comfortable. the graffiti on the back wall of the stage is very tasteful!

edit: don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to insult or diminish your fondness for this particular place. there have been many dives in my town i was very fond of that have gone by the wayside. it just happens. they have a life cycle. it, in my opinion, has nada to do with who's in the white house. to say that it does is to stir up sh*t intentionally or carelessly.

i know a sh*thole bar when i see one.

Yep. Sorry about that. Just a sh!thole, and no-one should care about the employees, they can just get free healthcare and free food, and free rent.

What the heck was I thinkin'?

dare me to what? i'm not unsympathetic. for pete's sake, the place i managed for 24 years went under this year and i and 25 other folks lost their jobs. it had nothing to do with obamacare though. it had everything to do with an idiot owner with a drug and alcohol problem who thought he knew everything and would not listen to more experienced, sober folks like myself. and more often than not, that's the case with bars. murph, the bottom line is, i get weary listening to people slam obama for everything under the sun. it's bullsh*t. when things began taking a turn for the worse in 2007 i did what i had to do to survive and am still doing so. yeah, i crabbed about bush but i also knew alot of what we were in for was our own fault. i voted for obama but things didn't magically get better for me because of it. i'm in the same boat as everyone else. fer chrissake, we all are. we'd do well to remember that when we're *****in' at each other like a bunch of spoiled brats.

i'm sorry a joint you liked is closing and there's one less place for you to play but, it ain't obama's fault. matter of fact. i'm getting ready to open a new place. send me a demo, if you're worth a sh*t i might book you. do some fishing and catch a tan during the day down here in fla.

just sayin'.

Archived