Gibson Brands Forums

Hang-em by the neck or not

cudamax2343

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW,WOW. I love that custom armour'e, that is so classy, got to have one. I have never seen a 12 string sg, real nice and that 61 is that a reisue or a 61, well they are all nice even that hammer-less what 357 or 38. I've got a hole puncher, my snub-nose stainless 44 that puts holes in trees and is only good for about 25 feet. You should if you haven't already install lights in that armour'e

You gotta make sure you copy the whole address into your browser.

If you just click on it' date=' it only uses part of the address and yer lost in cyberspace.

I don't know why.[/quote']

I'd say you qualify too as suffering from GAS as well...

WOW' date='WOW. I love that custom armour'e, that is so classy, got to have one. I have never seen a 12 string sg, real nice and that 61 is that a reisue or a 61, well they are all nice even that hammer-less what 357 or 38. I've got a hole puncher, my snub-nose stainless 44 that puts holes in trees and is only good for about 25 feet. You should if you haven't already install lights in that armour'e[/quote']

I dunno about the link.

I go into my profile and add it, but when I exit back into the forum only half of it is highlighted.

Did the same thing in the old Gibson forum.

Yeah, the SG 12 string was a real catch. I can't play it to save my *** but it's nice.

SG 61 with Maestro is a 2006. Gibson made a run of 48, my dealer got four of them.

S&W 642 in 38 +P, only weighs 15 ounces. My main concealed carry piece.

I have a pretty extensive firearm collection, I just got my FFL (Federal Firearms License) so I'm a dealer now.

I bought a rope light to put inside the armoir, I just never got around to it.

Looks like you got alot of toys yourself, you run a bar?

I dunno about the link.

I go into my profile and add it' date=' but when I exit back into the forum only half of it is highlighted.

Did the same thing in the old Gibson forum.

Yeah, the SG 12 string was a real catch. I can't play it to save my *** but it's nice.

SG 61 with Maestro is a 2006. Gibson made a run of 48, my dealer got four of them.

S&W 642 in 38 +P, only weighs 15 ounces. My main concealed carry piece.

I have a pretty extensive firearm collection, I just got my FFL (Federal Firearms License) so I'm a dealer now.

I bought a rope light to put inside the armoir, I just never got around to it.

Looks like you got alot of toys yourself, you run a bar?

[/quote']

Don't want-to get to much more into my personal life, than is already out there but, what-cha charge-in for the cailco 100rd in 9mm & 22, not the clear ones, and you got any access to any of the old mossberg's 8 or 9 shot with the laser aim in blue or the para-ordinance p14/45 in stainless with its boot back-up or the 12ga flatcha rds, the ones with 2 steel balls with a panio wire attached. Are you allowed to move any of those

Wow!

Well, the ammo is something you can do on your own, you don't need me to get it for you.

If I bought it, then shipped it to Illinois, the freight would be a killer.

Just find a dealer in your area or mail order it.

Also, I don't know what your local regs are, Chicago area is pretty ugly for gun owners.

If I sold a gun to you, it would have to be shipped to a FFL there, and he would want a few bucks for participating.

I'm sure you could do just as well on the deal somewhere around there.

Lotsa guns made in Illinois, Springfield and Armalite to name a couple. You must have some good dealers there.

I don't sell anything old or used, that's what gun shows are for.

I sell strictly new from manufacturers to stay out of trouble.

I'm sorry guys, but I just can't see it.

There's no load placed on any part of the guitar by hanging it from the headstock.

It will be subject to the same string tension/truss rod forces no matter where it is - even upside down.

If the neck bowed on a guitar that was rarely played, I would say it's the same reason as always;

It wasn't noticed or acted upon in a timely fashion, and was probably aggravated by climate swings.

It goes too far for too long and it's tough to fix.

I've seen the same thing happen to perfectly good old guitars stuck in a closet for years.

Pull it out of the case and the neck is all f-ed up.

"Oh no!!! How did THIS happen?"

The old trick of loosening the strings a little first doesn't work either. Too loose and the truss rod acts unopposed.

Bad news.

All guitars need to be inspected now and then if they never get played. Make minor adjustments when needed.

I'm sure they will cover their *** and say to store it in its proper case as to not get any legal battles down the road,but I think as long as you have the strings on it,it will be fine.The tension of the strings should out weigh any stress from the weight of the guitar hanging by the neck.It may subject your guitar to other issues though,such as fading sooner or dust,etc,but otherwise I don't really think it hurts anything

The tension of the strings should out weigh any stress from the weight of the guitar hanging by the neck.

My point exactly. Many' date=' many off-topic posts ago I posted this...

I found a website that (very accurately) calculates the amount of total tension of a set of .010" to .046" electric strings at 103 lbs. I figure my LP weighs 9 lbs so if there's 103 lbs pulling the headstock towards the body' date=' then gravity pulling 9 lbs the other way can't do any harm. In fact the net tension of 94 lbs is probably like throwing a set of .009"s on it.[/quote']

With all that string tension, a few pounds of mahogany isn't going to make a bit of difference. In fact, you could argue that it actually helps by taking a bit of stress off the neck. Again, I don't think it does make a difference, but in reality you've got strings (with over 100 lbs of pull) trying to rip the neck off of your guitar. Hanging it relieves that stress by almost 10 percent.

I'll just add this. First off, hang 'em or don't. To each his own. Some of my guitars have been hanging on the wall for 20 years. The necks are straight as an arrow, and I assure you they are all quite playable.

Also having raised three daughters over the last 25 years, they have been much safer on the wall, then they would have been on any stand. IMO the only safer place would have been in their case. But I like to enjoy looking at them

How is hanging a Guitar horizional any better for a guitar?

I'm not sure it's still a preferred way, but from a scientific point of view the weight of the guitar is supported by 2 points, instead of just one. This of course reduces the weight on one specific point of the guitar.

I had some of mine on hangers (String Swing) when my kids were small.

Gives me the heebie jeebies.

One screw going into drywall (sure you're on the stud?) is not secure enough for me.

If a guitar falls just a couple of feet' date=' it's gonna be ugly.

If I had a wall with cedar or some sort of robust exposed wood I would feel better.

All mine are on Rockstands by Warwick, they lean ever so slightly so there's no pressure on the neck.

All my nitro finish guitars are on stands covered with cotton, my mother in law cut up a towel and sewed Velcro on it to cover all the foam rubber.

In addition, they all live inside a big wooden cabinet to keep them out of sight and keep dust off.[/quote']

Using the supplied drywall screws is dancing with the devil. I screwed 1x6 planks into the studs of two interior walls, and then screwed the hangers into the 1x6's. It's rock solid. The String Swings are nitro safe and have never left a mark on any of my guitars.

Gibbies1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have you seen these hangers yet, the Grip. they're a fairly new company but the product is sweet. there is rubber padding to protect the neck and it's easy to mount. I found there website in guitarworld www.guitargrip.com check em out.Warmoth2.jpg

Archived