Gibson Brands Forums

Hang-em by the neck or not

cudamax2343

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Hercules stands at gigs. At home the guitars are in cases. No ill effects.

As long as the neck grips are padded and nitro finish safe, you're ok. Can't see how the body's weight would be a problem. No more than storing a guitar on its side, upside down etc inside a case.

Ive got eight guitars on wall hangers including two les pauls / stingray bass/flying vee/ explorer/jackson/strat/and an ibernez 12 string and its never been a problem. I use swing string hangers and there fine, when Ive played any of them I clean and tune the guiter before I put It back and next time I use the guitar its still perfectly in tune. Keeps them out of the way and safe and always makes a great conversation starter. Take a look at all the guitar shops that hang there guitars, mine have been on hangers for years with no problems. The thing that makes me nervous is guitars on stands.

Is it safe to hang your gibson by the neck. Does anyone know if gibson recommends against this. I wont do it never have.

Excellent question! I also noticed in browsing your awesome photobucket "Gallery of Guitars" that you have some horizontal(ish) mounted guitars... may I ask if those are the String Swing mounting brackets and/or what you think about them?

what really is a problem is leaving them for extended periods of time (months?) on those multple guitar stands, the ones that let you place your guitars one after the other... part of the wheight rests in only one side of the neck, if you use them for shows its ok, but if you leave your guitars there, i´ve heard the neck can end up damaged... is this true?

When I bought my Studio, It hung in the store for almost a year and a half. It had some minor scars on both sides from the cheap hangers. Those scars got me one heck of a discount.

I've used String Swing Wall mounts in my house for years with no problems.

Probably wouldn't hurt to cover them with a cotton (a sheet or T-Shirt) material though.

I will not hang-em from the neck, I'm goofy about that. Some say that they have done it for years, and I have even heard it keeps the neck straight. A few of my guitars are real heavy and this one is a first run soild acrylic with an acrylic headstock and were a real problem with snapping right off. They were quickly changed to the wooden headstock. I use 99 cent bicycle hooks from wal-mart screwed into wall studs to hang-em on the body weight not the neck, I know the ends are rubber coated. 000_3957.jpg000_1955.jpg000_3290.jpg

In just about any guitar store you go in there are rows and rows of guitars hung on the wall... so it can't be all that bad for the guitar. Although the guitar stores don't plan on having hang around for a long time... The hangers should be of good quality with lots of padding... What I'm not sure of is if the weight of the guitar hanging by its headstock puts stress on the headstock... After all that is the weakest spot of the guitar... Any opinions on that?

In just about any guitar store you go in there are rows and rows of guitars hung on the wall... so it can't be all that bad for the guitar. Although the guitar stores don't plan on having hang around for a long time... The hangers should be of good quality with lots of padding... What I'm not sure of is if the weight of the guitar hanging by its headstock puts stress on the headstock... After all that is the weakest spot of the guitar... Any opinions on that?
MY POINT EXACTLY

Wow that is a wild guitar you got there Cudamax2343... Nice collection too... Have any pics of your entire collection? Sometimes I forget other guitar exist besides Gibson...
Ask and you shall receive my man. Here is a look into my world. IT'S A VARY LARGE FILE. All the photos on the bed shot's are when we pick-em and tune-em then all go down to my sub-basement to jam. I do have more and now you will know why I say "MY ADDICTION IS OUT OF CONTROL". Go to http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/cudamax2343/

I had some of mine on hangers (String Swing) when my kids were small.

Gives me the heebie jeebies.

One screw going into drywall (sure you're on the stud?) is not secure enough for me.

If a guitar falls just a couple of feet, it's gonna be ugly.

If I had a wall with cedar or some sort of robust exposed wood I would feel better.

All mine are on Rockstands by Warwick, they lean ever so slightly so there's no pressure on the neck.

All my nitro finish guitars are on stands covered with cotton, my mother in law cut up a towel and sewed Velcro on it to cover all the foam rubber.

In addition, they all live inside a big wooden cabinet to keep them out of sight and keep dust off.

I found a website that (very accurately) calculates the amount of total tension of a set of .010" to .046" electric strings at 103 lbs. I figure my LP weighs 9 lbs so if there's 103 lbs pulling the headstock towards the body, then gravity pulling 9 lbs the other way can't do any harm. In fact the net tension of 94 lbs is probably like throwing a set of .009"s on it.

I had some of mine on hangers (String Swing) when my kids were small.

Gives me the heebie jeebies.

One screw going into drywall (sure you're on the stud?) is not secure enough for me.

If a guitar falls just a couple of feet' date=' it's gonna be ugly.

If I had a wall with cedar or some sort of robust exposed wood I would feel better.

All mine are on Rockstands by Warwick, they lean ever so slightly so there's no pressure on the neck.

All my nitro finish guitars are on stands covered with cotton, my mother in law cut up a towel and sewed Velcro on it to cover all the foam rubber.

In addition, they all live inside a big wooden cabinet to keep them out of sight and keep dust off.[/quote']

Yo NeoConMan, your link at the bottom doesn't work.

Yo NeoConMan' date=' your link at the bottom doesn't work.[/quote']

You gotta make sure you copy the whole address into your browser.

If you just click on it, it only uses part of the address and yer lost in cyberspace.

I don't know why.

Archived