Gibson Brands Forums

Ahhh My night is ruined.

crazycord

So I just got done with a gig probably resulting in 3 hours of play time and had put some other time on it so the usual fingerprints and such had appeared so I picked up some of the Dunlop polisher to clean her up. However after getting all the stuff off the part where I drape my arm over the guitar is still hazy. This freaks me out as I just got it a week or two ago and my night has officially gone downhill. Is there something wrong with the finish of my guitar? or what should I do!!

Thanks for any help!!

Is there something wrong with the finish of my guitar? or what should I do!!Thanks for any help!!

This drives me nuts. I get it bad, too. Naptha works OK, as long as it hasn't built up for a long time.

I'm gonna try the virtuoso cleaner/polish. Even though I KNOW it's OK to use lighter fluid on your nitro finish, it still feels wrong.

That is a point of contact on the guitar as it is used for it's intended purpose. The only way you're going to keep the guitar pristine is to never play it. It's a tool........a beautiful tool, yes, but a tool nonetheless. Making use of said tool leads to some scuffs, scratches and bumps that in no way affect it's usefulness. Virtuoso is good stuff and will usually clean up forearm rash pretty well, but get used to the idea that your guitar is not immune to the wear and tear of time and use. Don't sweat the small stuff and you'll sleep better at night.

That is a point of contact on the guitar as it is used for it's intended purpose. The only way you're going to keep the guitar pristine is to never play it. It's a tool........a beautiful tool' date=' yes, but a tool nonetheless. Making use of said tool leads to some scuffs, scratches and bumps that in no way affect it's usefulness. Virtuoso is good stuff and will usually clean up forearm rash pretty well, but get used to the idea that your guitar is not immune to the wear and tear of time and use. Don't sweat the small stuff and you'll sleep better at night.

[/quote']

And of course you could always wear a long-sleeved shirt.

Fancy-dancy finishes used on expensive guitars of all makes are prone to this type of reaction to body sweat/ oils. Cheaper guitar finishes are mostly impervious to most assaults short of upland game loads. Everyone's body chemistry is different, so everybody's experience with this hazing is different. I doubt it has anything to with deodorant or other toiletries. It looks like normal fore arm sweat haze. The above tactics work. I would suggest when playing long gigs in the future, wear a long sleeve shirt. Some long sleeve shirt materials are lighter and can be quite comfortable in a warm environment. If you get a bit het up, just roll up your other sleeve. That's what the cuff buttons are for. I have seen gaiters made especially for this purpose, a tube / sleeve with elastic at both ends, long enough to cover from wrist to elbow. Some are half gators that wrap only half way around the arm and have elastic to hold them on the arm.. Mostly, though they make you look like a Goob.

Eventually, you will likely see a similar hazing on the neck. It's gonna happen.

If the finish goes hazy it has absorbed some moisture.

So does this mean the hazing will diminish some after a few days, weeks, years; if it theoretically didn't have any moisture come in contact with it in the place of hazing?

Also would humidifying keep the hazing the finish "wet"?

:-$

That is a point of contact on the guitar as it is used for it's intended purpose. The only way you're going to keep the guitar pristine is to never play it. It's a tool........a beautiful tool' date=' yes, but a tool nonetheless. Making use of said tool leads to some scuffs, scratches and bumps that in no way affect it's usefulness. Virtuoso is good stuff and will usually clean up forearm rash pretty well, but get used to the idea that your guitar is not immune to the wear and tear of time and use. Don't sweat the small stuff and you'll sleep better at night.

[/quote']

I agree whole heartedly ! :-$

So does this mean the hazing will diminish some after a few days' date=' weeks, years; if it theoretically didn't have any moisture come in contact with it in the place of hazing?

Also would humidifying keep the hazing the finish "wet"?

[cool

Maybe.

I have had the same thing happen to a number of instruments. I clean the spot and some of the haze goes away. Then I leave it alone and it fades away completely. Eventually, like if you do this over and over, it will wear the finish away and you'll have your very own well played distressed guitar.

Humidifying a lot will slow the process of the haze fading away but it will still clear up eventually I bet. I wouldn't purposely keep it in a very dry environment to fix the finish problem, you might create too many other problems like top sinkage, fret ends sticking out etc. which happen anyway in cold northern climates when you don't humidify.

I agree with Buc . . . your guitar was made to be played to create music. Use it for that. Don't get too hung up on honest playing wear.

I'm in this camp too. Both my SWD and 335 have forearm haze. I panicked when I first noticed it but now it's just part of the mojo..................well not really mojo but you know what I mean.

Archived