Gibson Brands Forums

Fender HR Deville 212 vs 410

jrsdws

Considering a used purchase....lots available it seems. Please give me advantages and disadvantages between the 2x12 version and the 4 x 10 version.

I assume the 410 produces more sound due to more speaker area, but speaker replacements would be more costly.

And vice versa with the 212....probably a bit less sound (but sure its way loud) but cheaper speaker replacements.

Please give pros and cons.

I know that Neoconman said buy the 4x10 or you'd wish you had.

I believe he was speaking from experience.

Personally, I'd go play though them and see. I find I like the tone from larger speakers better than smaller ones, but sound is so subjective.

Good Luck and enjoy the hunt!

[thumbup]

I recently borrowed a friends Deville 2x12. I took it as back-up in case my B-52 crapped out at a gig.

IMO it is too loud for home use. I imagine that a 4X10 would be at least just as loud. Maybe I didn't play with it enough to work out the nuances, but it went from being barely audible to extremely loud with no in-between. I found the volumes controls to be wierd also. Master Volume controls the Drive Channel and Volume controls the Clean Channel.

I thought maybe there was a problem with his amp but talked to another owner who said, no that's the way it works.

Tens put out a lot more bass than people think, also. My last stint as a bassist lasted nearly 2 years and my favorite rig was/and is a Carvin 4;10T cab pushed by their R1000 (yea, 1000 watt) head. I never ran it at 1000 watts, because I only had the 1 cab, because it was all I needed.

The Fender Bassman was a 4;10 design, as well as the "Super Reverb" which is also a killer sounding amp when Bruce Brown (CDB) is kicking his "wide arsed open".

My Fender Prosonic (Bruce Zinkey design) combo has 2;10s.

Never underestimated good 10's if you have never really cranked them in a live situation.

Best of luck.

Going to check out a used 410 tonight....1997 model...one owner....all original...has never left the house since purchased and only played about once a month by an adult for his own pleasure. He claims it sounds the same as it did new...soo...it could be a winner at a great price.

Going to check out a used 410 tonight....1997 model...one owner....all original...has never left the house since purchased and only played about once a month by an adult for his own pleasure. He claims it sounds the same as it did new...soo...it could be a winner at a great price.

It's probably American made too, if it's a '97.

My Prosonic is a '96.

I know that Neoconman said buy the 4x10 or you'd wish you had.

I believe he was speaking from experience.

Indeed.

At lower volumes' date=' the 4x10 sounds a bit more lush and shimmery.

Kind of a chorus effect with more speakers.

Cranked up, they sound very similar to me - LOUD!

I have the 2x12, partly because I thought the bigger cones [i']must[/i] be better.

Just ain't so in this case.

I've found mine works pretty good with the master and drive both around 4.

Any higher with either knob and it just gets meaner sounding with no additional output.

Did I mention that this setting makes it LOUD?

A good used one - USA built - is probably a fantastic choice.

At worst it might need some tubes.

I smoked a preamp tube within two years of buying mine.

Picked up a 97' Deville 410...Made in USA...perfect condition...he bought it new and it never left this guy's little spare bedroom/music room. It had been so long since he'd used it he couldn't even remember how to change channels....only played clean anyway...and volume never past 2. A great buy I think at half the price of a new MIM model.

BRAVO!!!

Great honest little amp.

With no pedals, I always used the drive channel except for quiet/blues stuff.

Lets all the different guitars I own shine through.

Never had the gain over 4, any more was a waste of time.

The More Drive channel is worthless - sounds like ***.

I now have the Fulltone OCD plugged in and I leave it on the clean channel.

After 25 years, I've finally found a cool pedal to use full time.

Still, the HRD by itself is a great versatile tube amp even for the new price.

Enjoy it!

Archived