Gibson Brands Forums

Softball tryouts

duane v

#-o

Well its that time of year again, and my daughter and I went to her tryouts yesterday, and every year I donate my time to help coach when I'm available. But yesterday I received an utter body bashing from 12 to 14 year old young ladies. My job was to catch the pitchers, and since the pitching machine over-heated and caught on fire, I had to throw batting practice to about 80 girls[blink]

My ankle is swollen like a grapefruit, I was catching a girl that threw harder than Nolan Ryan, and one of her pitches got away from me and smacked my ankle dead on.[biggrin]

My left hand looks like a bruised stuffed pillow from catching a softball all day that isnt soft.

And my left hamstring feels like it's gonna snap like an old rubber-band, from pushing off the rubber while pitching.

And my pitching arm might as well just fall off my shoulder at this point.

The silver lining is the sun was out, and I received some well needed vitamin D to my face[biggrin]

I've been there, I taught girls softball for 11 years, both my daughters. I don't have to tell you that girls softball

is a special sport.

Try teaching a girl to throw overhand, pitch underhand and slide....very challenging but very rewarding

Have fun, I miss it

When I was in High School (Last year) I played on the Men's Tennis team every year and the tennis courts were right by the softball field. Since the Tennis team was a bit of a joke when the coach told us to do some laps I said I couldn't because my hemorrhoids were acting up and I needed to get one of the soft ball players to rub cream on them for me. So I mosey along to the softball field and start to taunt players so the coach ask me if I'd like to join practice, I said for sure. He had me pitch, although he let me pitch over hand. So I struck out like the first six and my taunting was quite high at this point, then a really big girl comes up and I got two strikes on her, then on the third pitch she nailed the ball... then the ball nailed my forehead. I had to go the ER with a concussion, the doctor was one of the guys on the tennis teams dad and I knew him well and he kept saying, "Nick, what have I told you about staying way from big girls" Not the highlight of my year :-k

Welcome to the realm of 'Old Farts'.

Time was a dad could catch softball practice, bare handed and nothing between the ball and his better stuff except a brass zipper and Froot of the Luims. [wink] This worked because they played slow pitch.

Now-a-days, they play fast pitch. So, you better suit up with shin guards, chest protector and a mask... oh yeah, don't forget the a cup. Some of these girls play for keeps. [thumbup] Doesn't hurt to have another dad relieve you after a few dozen pitches.

A hot bath will help along with a tube of BenGay. And... better do some exercises before next week-end or you'll be all knotted up by Saturday Night.

Softball in January?

When I was in HS, Baseball practices started, indoors, in late February/early March, with the first games the last week of March. We were a small school, so no try-outs. So, try-outs in late January sound about right.

My son was in HS baseball, same story. We watched him play a game in April. It began to snow... BIG [cool] flakes. Our Short Stop lost a pop-up in the momentary blizzard of baseball imitating flakes and caught the ball with his left eye. TYhe only baseball game I've ever heard of having a 'Snow Delay.'

Since the school year is over in late May, their seasons are really short. Standard equipment for baseball season was hand warmers. My son went through a dozen of them per week until late May.

Yes indeed, tryouts.

I sat on our local little league field scouting and evaluating 8-12-year-old-boys from 1:00 to 4:00 yesterday. I'll be coaching the minor league A's this year. Looking forward to it. My boys will tryout next weekend. My oldest boy might make the majors this season. He's 5-1 and 115 lbs. He plays third base, outfield and can hit. He's a lot better than many of the 11-year olds.

My 8-year old will be on my team.[thumbup]

:-k

My ankle is swollen like a grapefruit' date=' I was catching a girl that threw harder than Nolan Ryan, and one of her pitches got away from me and smacked my ankle dead on.:-k

My left hand looks like a bruised stuffed pillow from catching a softball all day that isnt soft.

And my left hamstring feels like it's gonna snap like an old rubber-band, from pushing off the rubber while pitching.

And my pitching arm might as well just fall off my shoulder at this point.

... [/quote']

Welcome to the world of getting older and still trying to hang out with your kids. The magic drug is naproxen otherwise known as "Aleve" Take 2 every 12 hours if your stomach can handle it - that's what my orthopedic guy told me to do. Kills the pain and the swelling - I wouldn't use heat for another 24 hours unless you want to blow up like a balloon. - ice those parts you can and be careful with the hamstring - if you really tweaked it it's probably gonna bother you for at least another month. Stay away from tylenol, it won't help the swelling and it will kill your liver.

..Stay away from tylenol' date=' it won't help the swelling and it will kill your liver.[/quote']

True dat!... But Naproxin, Ibuprofen and all other over-the-counter pain relievers will kill your liver if taken daily for weeks at a time.

Aspirin is the only over-the-counter pain reliever that won't trash your liver.

Archived