Gibson Brands Forums

i am sick and weak with lust....

jefleppard

I know Grampa here on the forum has one and loves it. Sadly my only experience with one was repairing a couple cracks on one a couple years back. I found it to be heavy and lifeless. It had been in storage for a couple decades so it may have had to 'open up' again. And if I recall, it was late 60s which could have meant heavier overall construction.

They seem to bring a good price and those who own them really like them, so that one I worked on could have just been a dud. It happens.

I know Grampa here on the forum has one and loves it. Sadly my only experience with one was repairing a couple cracks on one a couple years back. I found it to be heavy and lifeless. It had been in storage for a couple decades so it may have had to 'open up' again. And if I recall' date=' it was late 60s which could have meant heavier overall construction.

They seem to bring a good price and those who own them really like them, so that one I worked on could have just been a dud. It happens.[/quote']

And I indeed love it. Mine is not in the pristine condition as the one you're looking at. Mine is from 1966 and I suppose it is one of the "heavy" Gibsons but it doesn't feel or play heavy. It is built like a Mack truck, I think it may be indestructable, but it rings like some if the lightweight '30's Gibsons. I say buy it.

Those are Golpeadors----some flamenco guitars have them installed. I guess Gibson was trying to appeal to the folksinger/flamenco niche market, during the apparently short-lived folksinger/flamenco craze. There's nothing quite like Positively Fourth Street played flamenco style.

I don't know' date=' I just don't like the pick guards. Kinda hideous to me.:- [/quote']

I agree. They had been removed from mine before I got it and only the "shadow" remains. It also had been refinished in a very non-original way, but I wouldn't change it. It has a very cool "vintage" look that exudes mojo. Now if only my playing measured up.

Cunk' date='

one is available not too far from me that I can check out if your GAS defeats you. http://www.gbase.com/powered/geardetails.aspx?dealer=45c9c7fe-27d8-4359-b509-393c19e5856a&item=2207975

[/quote']

thanks for that. i'm gonna hold off. my gas list is long so i'll likely confuse/depress myself into paralysis. lol. if it is near you, play it anyways. this model is interesting as it seems like there is no definitive tone - there are as many different tones as there are guitars. we'd all be interested in your results.

looks like a cool store too.

Archived