Gibson Brands Forums

Bought an unusual AJ tonight

fp

I've been looking for a recent Montana slope shoulder guitar for a little while now and was mainly focusing on AJ's. I was hoping to find one with an adi top but just wasn't seeing any on the used market. Well the one I finally found is a rare one I believe. It's your typical AJ with rosewood back and sides but it has an adi top but the oddest thing is it's top is finished like the OJ reissues are, with the small burst finish. It was one made for Fullers guitar shop, which I know many of you are familiar with. I bought it from Jon at My Favorite Guitars in Florida. I saw it this evening on E-Bay apparently right after he started the auction. I've bought guitars from Jon before so I expect it to be what he say's it is. It suposeably is in unplayed condition. That part isn't so important to me but I really like the fact that it's the only AJ I've ever seen with the small burst finish. If any one is interested in seeing a picture of it you can find it listed under Gibson jumbo, completed auctions at E-bay. I'll try to post pictures after I get it.

Thanks guy's. I don't reaaly know what to expect about the sound of this. I've liked every sitka topped AJ I've played over the years so I'm hoping the adi top may add a little more volume, I don't know. I just hope it's not to brash and metallic sounding like some square shoulder dreads I've tried with the adi top. We'll see I guess.

fp, congrats on your new AJ. The burst looks like the one on my FVG J35, which also has a red spruce top. Fuller's issues often have cool touches like that, and unique specs.

Can't wait to hear more about it when it arrives. Besides how it sounds (which I bet will be great), I'd be in interested in what the neck profile is like. My FVG J35's neck is about a tenth of an inch deeper than my AJ's, and that makes it feel much bigger. I'd be intersted if the FVG AJ has the same neck, or not.

I wouldn't worry about the red spruce making the guitar sound too metalic. I have two guitars with red spruce tops, and if anything, I would say they have more clarity and responsiveness. Of course, it's impossible to say just what effect the top has on a particular guitar with any certainty (what could you compare it to, without taking the top off and replacing it with another?), but for whatever reason, my two red spruce topped guitars are definitely among my favorites. I hope you new AJ will become yours.

Red 333

Archived