Gibson Brands Forums

Just to say good-bye

Cruznolfart

Gotta take Missus to the airport this AM. She's flying to San Diego to visit her oldest friend, the paternal grand-mother of her two children. The purpose of the trip is for them to bid each other farewell. Marie hasn't much time left. When my wife was raising her kids, Marie and husband Jamie were pretty much the only help or support she had, even after she and their son had divorced. Jamie passed 10 years ago. This is the last of the elders of any branch of our families. This will probably be the most difficult one for my Missus. I do hate good-byes.

Big Wheel keeps on turning, Brothers and Sisters, enjoy the day.

I can relate. My first mother-in-law, my daughter's grandmother, is in her late 80's and not in the greatest shape but still plugging along. She is a saint. Every time I see her I have to think that it may be the last so I cherish every minute with her. My best wishes to your missus and you.

Thanks, Grampa and Neo, for your good wishes. First leg is already a mess. Flight from Medford to SF delayed due to fog, causing her to miss the SD connection. She's been re-routed through Salt Lake City. The trip that should have been about 4 hours long will now exceed 8. And the guy that stepped in line in front of us because he was "in a hurry, s'cuse me" had his day all effed up in about a heartbeat. What a jerk. (he made the right choice, though)

Air travel is a PITA on a good day. This wasn't one of them.

My life so far had a lot of goodbyes in it, mainly with friends and family left behind or roads separating... I can partially relate to this. But the alternative, not to have the chance to say goodbye, is even worse. I never managed to say goodbye to my grandpa, whom I adored, just for a day...

I'm wishing all the best for your family & friends Cruz. And a lot of courage as well...

My life so far had a lot of goodbyes in it' date=' mainly with friends and family left behind or roads separating... I can partially relate to this. But the alternative, not to have the chance to say goodbye, is even worse. I never managed to say goodbye to my grandpa, whom I adored, just for a day...

I'm wishing all the best for your family & friends Cruz. And a lot of courage as well...[/quote']

Thank you, Hector, you're very astute. An opportunity lost would be forever regretted in this case, I think. We appreciate your good wishes.

I'm sorry that her time is coming to an end. The other side of this tho' is that they have an opportunity to say good-bye, which while very difficult, is also something that many people don't have. I'm sure it will be hard but the things that each will be able to say may help with resolution and closure for both when her time is done.

My best wishes for you all....

I'm sorry that her time is coming to an end. The other side of this tho' is that they have an opportunity to say good-bye' date=' which while very difficult, is also something that many people don't have. I'm sure it will be hard but the things that each will be able to say may help with resolution and closure for both when her time is done.

My best wishes for you all....[/quote']

Thank you, Karen, I'm sure you're right. I know Mrs. Cruzn would have been devastated had she not been able to see Marie one last time. We have both been very fortunate in that regard, having been able to be with 3 of our 4 Parents when their times came. The comfort that gave those who were passing was part of it. The sense of well-being...having been able to do that one last thing for someone so beloved; that's worth more than anyone could possibly describe. Especially when we get to missing them. (that's a lot more often than some folks might believe)

Sorry for the Loss. It's great that you have such a positive influence in your lives' date=' and while you have to say goodbye, the influence will always be there for you to pass on.

Hope your Missus finds the return trip a little less frustrating.[/quote']

Thank you, Shon, we have been extremely blessed with the people we've had in our lives. And yes, they do keep right on living through us, every time we remember them or speak of them, or do or say something the same way they did. Happens every day.

Coming home is always a shorter journey than leaving, and welcomes are sweeter than good-byes. We got to thinking, this is probably the last time we'll be separated by the travels of one without the other. Somewhat bittersweet.

Thanks again, my friend.

Hope Mrs. Cruzn's trip is okay and the visit isn't too stressful.

Thanks, Steve, I know she'll be glad she went, in spite of any inconveniences or stress. It's the very least she felt she could do, considering all Marie (and Jamie) did for her and the kids over the years. Well worth any effort.

Cruzn' she gets to see someone very dear to her heart and will know doubt benefit from the trip and time spent with Marie. As we grow older it's so important that we work harder to bridge the distance between family and friends. It'll be all right. It is after all, the necessary and proper thing to do.

Cruzn' she gets to see someone very dear to her heart and will know doubt benefit from the trip and time spent with Marie. As we grow older it's so important that we work harder to bridge the distance between family and friends. It'll be all right. It is after all' date=' the necessary and proper thing to do.[/quote']

Thanks, Todd, you got that right; it is the proper thing to do. We would go to any lengths to pay our respects to those who've been so supportive and important in our lives. They are our history.

Archived