Gibson Brands Forums

I'm leanin towards G&L over Fender

DAS44

I played a few (Along with a LP Custom Korina that I wasnt supposed to be allowed to play but the guy at Sam Ash let me) and my lord I loved em more than any strat I've ever played. They played nearly as well as my LP (I've never played anything that played as nice as my LP).

The tone? Fantastic

The feel? Incredible

the finish? beautiful

I was playin it through a Mesa Lonestar Special and MAN WAS IT SWEET!

The Korina LP. Usually they wouldnt have allowed anyone without the moola to buy it play it tbut the guy decided to let me give er a whirl. I was awestruck to say that least. Everything was perfect. Played just as well as the G&Ls but looked SO FANTASTIC. It was very very out of tune so I did what I could by ear and lord it was fantastic.

American Fender to G&L' date=' or imported Fender to G&L?

Big difference in both brands.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples, that's a common mistake - or salesman trick.[/quote']

american and I did compare.

G&L is the same as Heritage guitars in many ways.

Compares favorably to the original, better guitar in some cases.

Both can be had for a song if you shop around, the too-high prices can give way to a motivated seller.

I've seen several examples of both brands being bought dirt cheap because the owner couldn't find a buyer.

Most players don't know anything about them, and shy away unless they're obscenely cheap.

I like G&L, Great Stuff. Kinda like PRS of the Fender World. Very well made, very good sounds. Aesthetically speaking I don't care much for the headstock, but that's a minor issue.

Perhaps it's some sort of Vanity or Brand Recognition, but I'd rather have a Gibson and a Fender than a PRS and a G&L. Not that I'd turn any of them down.

Why would the case that it's in have any bearing on the quality of the guitar? [cool]

shiftysmilie.gif

Yer silly! [biggrin]

I haven't played any G&L' date=' so I wouldn't know. I think they look great (oh, but what a picture won't tell you about a guitar,) and sound demos inform me that they sound good (but, of course there's more to a good sound than just a good guitar,) and your review leads me to believe that they're great--I trust you, so I believe that they have the potential to be great. I'd be willing to try a bunch, but no guarantee (yet) that I'd walk away with one. Thanks for the mention, though! I almost forgot they existed until you brought them up.

I know however, since checking out my dad's old Tele (that I finally had the opportunity to pick up,) that a vintage (or, as I like to say, [i']old[/i]) Fender can be a very, very great guitar. But I think we already knew that. I could go on about it now, but I think I'll post a thread about it tomorrow, with pics that I can't snap right now, and a story that's too much to tell right now. I'll get to it, though. Eventually...

The Sam Ash at W 48 between 6th and 7th has got some G&Ls for yeh. They know me at this point..... I kept coming back because there arent many good guitar shops round here.

you know Rudy's guitar shop across the street? They got some nice stuff in there (vintage [lol])

The Sam Ash at W 48 between 6th and 7th has got some G&Ls for yeh. They know me at this point..... I kept coming back because there arent many good guitar shops round here.

you know Rudy's guitar shop across the street? They got some nice stuff in there (vintage [blush])

Oh yeah, I know my way around all of the places in the city. I bought my SG at that Sam Ash, and I go back to them for a lot of stuff.

Archived