Gibson Brands Forums

Need feedback on this tone

Riffster

I have never recorded before and just got a USB interface and a Shure SM57. I am trying to get the hang of how to record successfully so some feedback is appreciated.

This a clip of a song I am working on and it is recorded with My Les Paul and my Mesa 5:25, there are 2 tracks, the rhythm uses the bridge pickup and the other track is using the neck pickup. This clip is a little cramped but hopefully you get the idea. I don't want to record a longer track to find out I am not doing it right.

The clip is kind of the essence of the song, a little cramped but I was improvising and I liked it, I already have an idea for the intro and verses and I will have to work on a solo.

How does this tone sound on your end?

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8781959&q=hi&newref=1

Definitely continue!

What software/DWS are you using? Ableton, Garage Band, Reaper, ProTools? I play with Garage Band and Line 6 toys. Lots of fun! I also sat down with a good friend with ProTools who works at it a lot more seriously than I do and put my first recording project down. I'll have to figure a way to post it.

It's a nice sound you're getting. I'm itching to hear rhythm and vocal on it!

Sounded good' date=' kinda reminded me of maybe Neil Young meets The Outlaws, that bridge pickup sounds awesome, necks a bit mudded, but all in all it sounded pretty damn good! [/quote']

Yea, I was thinking (or wishing) Rory Gallagher plays an LP but you are right that it has a Neil Young vibe.

I liked it... the lead reminds me of Dire Straights' "Brothers in Arms".

I love that song' date=' maybe your are onto something, since I was going for a sad/melancolic tone an out-of-phase pickup setting may work there.

Definitely continue!

What software/DWS are you using? Ableton, Garage Band, Reaper, ProTools? I play with Garage Band and Line 6 toys. Lots of fun! I also sat down with a good friend with ProTools who works at it a lot more seriously than I do and put my first recording project down. I'll have to figure a way to post it.

It's a nice sound you're getting. I'm itching to hear rhythm and vocal on it!

I am using a Line 6 UX1, a Shure SM57, Mesa amp and my LP, I am so new to recording that RiffWorks is more user friendly to me, the USB interface did come with Ableton so I will learn how to use that program.

Thanks for the feedback, I was nervous about posting anything but then I thought: if I was a great player with great songs that everybody liked then, well, I'd be rich and famous.

I am liking recording a lot, I feel all the noodling and unconected riffs I play have a purpose now.

Just switched to IE and got to hear it. Have to say that's a great rhythm sound - crunchy and bright, with loads of detail - perfect. The lead tone is good - it's a nice compliment to the crunch tone, and I think all it needs is a touch of reverb to open it up.

Classic guitar tones !

Archived