Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Fretboard?

MikeH

I've always been a Fender Guy, but I picked up a Les Paul Studio just to mess around with in the office, and I love it. Blows majority of my stratocasters our of the water.. including ones that cost 3-4 times as much ;)

So I don't know my serial number offhand.. but I do know it's 94xx7xxxx

So I would read that as a 1997 Les Paul... awesome... But, Through all my years with Upright basses, Guitars, Bass Guitars and Violins... I can tell the difference between Ebony and Rosewood. I've read that Les Paul studios with ebony fretboards ended in 1994... but I would, if my life depended on it... Say the Fretboard of my Studio is ebony... It's an Ebony colored Les Paul... but I would go to the grave, saying it's an ebony fretboard. I have no reason to believe the fretboard was ever replaced as I know the original owner fairly well and had said he never replaced it... Any ideas? Thanks!

There are some studios made with ebony fretboards. A buddy of my got one at Fullers a year ago or so - alpine white, with gold hardware and an ebony fretboard (ebony is still the listed fretboard spec for an Alpine White Studio on the Gibby site). Really looks sweet. I've seen ebony on other studios, but it's unusual.

The Gibson site shows the new studios come with rosewood fretboard on all colors but the white. White Studios still come with the ebony fretboard. So there is a possibility that your 97 does have an ebony fretboard. But I am in no way an expert on the Les Paul.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio/Overview.aspx

Gibson used Ebony Fret boards on some of the black studio's

I have seen couple. I have an 86 Wine Red and it has the

Ebony board and just dot inlays. I wouldn't be surprised in the

least if it was Ebony.

CW

@MikeH maybe if you could post a photo we could help you.

Like the guys said, nowadays pretty much all the Studios have rosewood fretboard, except for the Alpine White and Silverburst models (ebony), but before 2000 there were also Studios with ebony!

yea the whites are ebony because the rosewood would 'bleed' into the white finish.. but my paul is a ebony colored paul (original finish)

Like has been stated, it is quite possible that your Studio does have an Ebony fretboard..My 2008 SG has an ebony fretboard, although it is a limited run edition in the blue mist color. There was a 2009 special run LP Studio in the blue mist that also has ebony fretboard...Anything IS possible!

http://www.gibson.com/jp-jp/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/09%20Special%20Run%20Series/Les%20Paul%20Studio%20Blue%20Mist/

I have a 91 wine red studio that I am pretty sure is ebony as well. I just purchased an SG Classic which has a Rosewood fretboard and it is very different.

DSCN4115-1.jpg?t=1267843436

DSCN4116-1.jpg?t=1267843609

Not the greatest photos. sorry about that.

Fuller's?

In Houston?

Yep. He went to the store (not online). He really liked the store.

He did a couple favors for me so I was gonna get him a Fuller's t-shirt as a thank you, but he's a big guy. Unfortunately, Fuller's don't sell their t-shirts in xxx.

Saffel, that sure looks like ebony, I heard that some of the alpine white models were re-sprayed to various colors due to demand. Don't know if this is correct or if Gibson just grabbed whatever boards that were finished and slapped them on other models. But, I do love the ebony.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a 1994 LP Studio Wine Red Gold Hardware. It has an Ebony Fretboard, so go figure. Cant really find any info on this on the net. I'm guessing it was a special order item????

Any idea guys and gals.

AD, New Zealand

I read somewhere (maybe the gibson lp book), that gibson used whatever lower quality material for the studio fretboards. Weather it was rosewood or ebony. I believe originally supposed to be rosewood, and if quantity for rosewood couldn't be met, they would use lower quality (astetics? only) ebony on the studio's. I could be wrong though, have been in the past. Anyway, great looking guitar!!

I read somewhere (maybe the gibson lp book)' date=' that gibson used whatever lower quality material for the studio fretboards. Weather it was rosewood or ebony. I believe originally supposed to be rosewood, and if quantity for rosewood couldn't be met, they would use lower quality (astetics? only) ebony on the studio's. I could be wrong though, have been in the past. Anyway, great looking guitar!![/quote']

You've probably read it in Tony Bacon's "50 Years of The Gibson Les Paul" - they used lower-grade ebony (BTW, ebony is not always as dark/black as we think).

I don't know how I missed this the first time I read your post but

your guitar is a 94 not a 97. 94 was the Gibson centennial and all the

serials from that year started with 94 so the first and the fifth for the year

wouldn't apply.

CW

Archived