Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need for a Home Studio?

Silenced Fred

What do I need?

I want to have a nice spot to record and play and such.

So far, I have a room, about 12X12, guitars, an amplifier, and a macbook pro with garageband. Soon, I will be getting a VOX Tonelab ST for recording direct. What should I get?

This will be an ongoing project, so I just want general ideas as far as furniture, gear, recording stuff, mics, the whole nine yards.

Also, if you could tell what you have, or better yet, post pics! [crying]

Thanks

57 cases a beer.........a dedicated toilet, shower ......fridge.....microwave......duct tape....miles o cable an wire.......

area for hangers on to rotate thru.......backup everything.........oh sorry I was on a roll.

Hmm

A couple of mics-Lexicon Alpha USB Interfaces, can run two tracks, so I figure, you can record direct and mic ambient noise?

A stool to play on

Cables, connectors for pedals etc

Guitar stand or the similar

Not to many hard surfaces, something about reverberation

Inspiring sh!t on the walls...

Thats all I can think of.

I may be wrong about the mics point.

Make sure none of it rattles or buzzes while you're recording.

Lots of upholstery helps with this...

Yup...

Fred, this room you speak of, is it your bedroom or a seperate room?

To me there is few nicer sights than waking up to see a Les Paul..

Of material items I mean.

Direct in is ok, but you probably will want to mic up your amp eventually. You can't go wrong with the classic, a Shure SM57. Eventually you'll want to upgrade your DAW. There are lots of good ones out there. I got PreSonus FireStudio Project and then upgraded to CUBASE 5.

It is an extra room in my basement. I will be going to Community College for my first two years, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to major in and it will save a ton of cash, and then move onto a University after that. This guarantees another two and a half years at home, so I will have plenty of time and hopefully some extra cash :-k

I kinda want to set up so I can record by mic'ing an amp, but I need a smaller amp first. I think the direct line in with the VOX pedal will suit me for now, and allow me to learn a lot more about recording and formatting information.

Not too much that rattles around (thank god) hanging off the walls, but yes, it will be an ongoing project. purchases in projected order (doubt they will stay this way, but its a plan):

VOX Tonelab- record into macbook, onto garageband. Mainly will be using backing tracks for other instruments, but hopefully that will change.

Mixer and Mics- record by micing amps, and stuff like that

Furniture- Some decent seating, better table, and the sort.

Blackie- I don't drink, so no beer. I do have a bathroom very close to it, very sparingly used, so that could be a purpose.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have their own studio at home though?

Bathroom = vocal booth' date=' assorted sound effects.[/quote']

Worked for Les Paul...

"I think it really points up a central aspect of Les’s innovative nature – that when he was creating all those hits, nobody but nobody in the business that I’m aware of was recording, arranging and writing their own tunes, in their own home, in the basement, bedroom, garage, whatever room sounded best for Mary’s vocals. The bathroom, because it had better reverb, was often used to track the vocals."

Worked for Les Paul...

"I think it really points up a central aspect of Les’s innovative nature – that when he was creating all those hits' date=' nobody but nobody in the business that I’m aware of was recording, arranging and writing their own tunes, in their own home, in the basement, bedroom, garage, whatever room sounded best for Mary’s vocals. The bathroom, because it had better reverb, was often used to track the vocals."[/quote']

I've learned two things from my teacher on recording: Using the bathroom to record, as well as play into a corner. It adds volume and definition to your playing. Cool stuff actually

VOX Tonelab- record into macbook' date=' onto garageband. Mainly will be using backing tracks for other instruments, but hopefully that will change.

Mixer is not needed and Mics (a 57 will do for now) and get 2 good quality boom stands- record by micing amps, and stuff like that

Furniture- Some decent seating, better table, and the sort.

And away you go. You're set. Now start recording.[biggrin]

And away you go. You're set. Now start recording.[biggrin]

No mixer? I was planning on getting some mics (what would you recommend?) and I was kinda thinking of recording the whole shebang (drums' date=' bass, guitar, vocals, everything. I wouldn't supply mics for it all, but wouldn't a mixer be helpful for that? Down the road of course, I'm not gonna walk into a music store $2,000 lighter soon [biggrin )

Thanks though, but I think I might go with some mics, recommendations for both micing an amp, and for vocals?

Make sure none of it rattles or buzzes while you're recording.

That's true! I don't have a recording studio' date=' but in my basement where I crank my amp, I have this old (90s) South Park lunch box that rattles like a snare drum whenever I hit a power chord [smile

Okay. So I did some research and what I will be doing is mic'ing an amp. It makes a ton of sense. But here is my problem, what interface do y'allins recommend? I have been looking at the Apogee One, as it is designed to work with Garageband and stuff like that. Are there ones that are recommended over this, more words of kindness towards the Apogee, anything? Thanks again guys, you know your stuff and really have been helping me out

Many of my daughters friends go there and they really like it. She will be

taking some math courses there over the summer.

Right now shes at WIU, you should check out that school when your ready.

Good Luck

Many of my daughters friends go there and they really like it. She will be

taking some math courses there over the summer.

Right now shes at WIU' date=' you should check out that school when your ready.

Good Luck[/quote']

Yeah, it is a good starting off point and will help me decide what I want to do. I am considering going into journalism, but I can not decide between print or broadcast, or even possibly going into becoming a radio disc jockey...

I am thinking about going to Illinois State or Northern, but it is a great place.

Archived