Gibson Brands Forums

"Comfort" Chords, Keys and songs

Johnt

Increasingly I find that when I pick up a guitar I hit, initially, the same chords, same key and same song.

Dependent upon mood for example I played the Epi J200 for 10 minutes this morning then picked up the 335 to play some Chicago blues (ashford style|)

But there always seems to be a similar starting point.....

OK so I move on from that (in order to test my ongoing quest to master the 6/7 guitars sitting in cases in the attic.)

My comfort key is definately C ( or maybe G)

Curiously therefore my comfort chords tend to be C G Am

My comfort songs are

Something

Lying Eyes

Me and Bobby McGee

I would rather go blind

Crazy

I will always love you ( NOT the flipping Witney somebody "version")

And when I get mad

Classic Gas

Piece of my Heart

Lola

How's about you?

Comfort chords. Hmmmm. I can play E, A, D and F#m in my sleep so I guess those would be my comfort chords. Many of the songs I sing I do in those chords too because I tend to sing a lot in B or Bb but who the heck wants to play THOSE chords. [cool] So key of A capo 2 and I'm set. I do have a real penchant for G, F and Am tho'

Up to a month ago, would have slipped into drop D, maybe Stack-lee or Chump Blues. These days, its wide open. Exploring melodies lot. Just grab an F formation up the neck --or A or D -- and have at it. Or C in first position.

First thing I play, nine times out of ten, is Country Road by JT. Usu. don't finish it, nor sing. Then I launch into original stuff. But if I stop thinking, I automatically play Country Road again. It's getting a little scary honestly...

It varies...

Sometimes just a reeeeeally basic delta sorta blues in E, sometimes "Stormy Weather" in C; sometimes "Stormy Monday" in A - but ignoring the root chords.

That's now. I went through a time of "somewhere over the rainbow" in C... "nobody knows you when you're down and out, ditto," or if I'm feeling a bit odd on a given day, "Twilight Time" in G.

Used to was, perhaps more likely some ragtimey stuff to an old Leadbelly thing like "Keep your hands off." Sometimes I'll start right off with "Misty" in C.

But then it's 99 percent fingerpickin' regardless the guitar I pick up.

Stackolee I generally did in C. If I'm really thinkin' about the old days, "When you and I were young, Maggie," in C. Sometimes just a straight "folkie" fingerstyle, sometimes with some added ... stuff. <grin>

m

C9th is cool...full C (with bass G on 6th String)' date=' G is my favorite...so many chords so little time....lol[/quote']

You can say that again!

You can never have too many C9s in a song.

One of mine is The Only Living Boy in New York. Big G then C9 as above. Also But Honestly by Foo Fighters, the first few bars. Both great testers for a 12 string.

Science - Paul Weller

Blackbird for those rare occasions when I'm brave enough to try a bit of finger picking in public.

First chord I play on any guitar is likely to be G.

Your 'comfort' chord or song you play when first picking up a particuilar guitar is scientifically valid. Your ear knows what that chord sounds like on your own guitar, on previously assessed guitars and you can then compare the tones in your head to what you've just picked up.

No apologies necessary.

Picking up an acoustic (not mine), my go to would be - G and E chords, and I 'd surely flatpick Here Comes the Sun to get a feeling for how well the fingerboard runs and single notes sound.

Comfort (my guitars) - not so much chords, but songs

Peaceful Easy Feeling (or a couple other Eagles songs)

Moondance (or others by Van Morrison)

I'm Fixing a Hole (or anything by the Beatles)

Archived