Gibson Brands Forums

How would these go on my Gibson Les Paul Studio?

moff_93

I wanna change the pickup covers on my Gibson Les Paul Studio, as you can see from the pics they're chrome. I wanna change em to gold, what do you think?

P3162299.jpg?t=1268706703

P3162303.jpg?t=1268706735

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Hardware/Covers/Neck-Humbucker-Chrome.aspx are these the right ones to use?

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Hardware/Tailpieces/Stop-Bar-Chrome.aspx and is this the right stopbar to use?

I just wanna be sure before I order them if I do, I wouldn't change them myself basically cause I don't trust myself to not ruin the whole guitar haha but is it hard to change them? Thanks guys

To change the pup covers its a fairly simple thing. If you take your pickups out of the guitar you'll see to solder joints one on each side of the pup. These do two things, 1 it keeps the cover secure 2. it grounds the cover. The cover is metal and when you through metal on the guitar you need to ground it to prevent a bad buzz.

So to replace it, take a soldering gun and melt the current solder and just slide the old one's off, then slide the new one's on the solder them where the old ones were soldered on. It's probably one of the easiest things you can do.

Now for the stop tail, that is the same one on your guitar. Again a really easy thing to replace. Just one thing you need to be careful with is the bushings, when you pull the old ones out be careful its easy to chip the finish. Same thing about putting the new ones in, its easy to chip paint so be sure to go slow.

To change the pup covers its a fairly simple thing. If you take your pickups out of the guitar you'll see to solder joints one on each side of the pup. These do two things' date=' 1 it keeps the cover secure 2. it grounds the cover. The cover is metal and when you through metal on the guitar you need to ground it to prevent a bad buzz.

So to replace it, take a soldering gun and melt the current solder and just slide the old one's off, then slide the new one's on the solder them where the old ones were soldered on. It's probably one of the easiest things you can do.

Now for the stop tail, that is the same one on your guitar. Again a really easy thing to replace. Just one thing you need to be careful with is the bushings, when you pull the old ones out be careful its easy to chip the finish. Same thing about putting the new ones in, its easy to chip paint so be sure to go slow.[/quote']

Sure about the grounding?

I took off mine and left them off for a time.

When I put them on, I just fit them on..no soldering simple push and pull...no buzz whatsoever.

Sure about the grounding?

I took off mine and left them off for a time.

When I put them on' date=' I just fit them on..no soldering simple push and pull...no buzz whatsoever.[/quote']

It really depends if you have a good connection by just pushing them on. Every piece of metal on your guitar is connected from the tuners to the nut on your input jack. So if you have a solid connection with your pup covers then your ok, but for most people myself included don't want to chance it by not soldering them. That way there is nothing that can go wrong really.

I'll add my 2 cents. Your pickups are grounded at the volume pot via the braided wire that comes from the pickup. Example: Uncovered pickups- Zebra coils. Soldering the covers just keeps them in place so they won't fall off. As to what looks better. It's your guitar and you have to like it . Doesn't matter what i like. ( chrome )

Thanks for the replies, I think I will keep the chrome on now...I always liked the look..hence the reason I bought it haha but I also did like the gold and white. So chrome it is staying! Oh and tbonesullivan I was going to have gold pickups AND gold hardware I was just asking about the pups first :D but Thanks again

I wanna change the pickup covers on my Gibson Les Paul Studio' date=' as you can see from the pics they're chrome. I wanna change em to gold, what do you think?

Thanks guys[/quote']

In my honest opinion, if you change the pickup covers and stop bar to gold, I don't think it would look good without changing all of the hardware too. Bridge, tuning machines, pickguard bracket, jack plate, and you could change the speed knobs from black to the gold ones. To make it look right would cost over $300 US plus the shipping charges. And if you would have someone change it all for you, it would be quite an expense.

I'd keep the chrome..My 2cents.

Chrome is chrome.

I like it.

Gold isn't gold very long - then it looks like sh!t.

I don't like it when it's new' date=' certainly not when it looks like sh!t.

Your results may vary.[/quote']

I would actually prefer nickle..to chrome...

Nickel looks bada$s when old...

[cool] How are the EMG's working for ya? And is there really that much difference between the Nickel and chrome?

Actually quite nicely if I do say so myself. Now if I could only get the EMG-x models in chrome then we'd be talking, and as for the difference between nickel and chrome, apart from the obvious appearance differences, then nope.

Archived