Gibson Brands Forums

With some bashing Gibson, here's why I play a Gibby...

kebob

I love that! And the guitar DOES sound great. Your singing does not suck. A few pitchy spots, same as we all struggle with, but the tone of your voice is really pleasing, and you obviously have enough volume to be heard alongside the guitar. You should hear me....GAWD, it's bloody painful LOL

Anyway, I really really like your version of this. 5 stars!

I love that! And the guitar DOES sound great. Your singing does not suck. A few pitchy spots' date=' same as we all struggle with, but the tone of your voice is really pleasing, and you obviously have enough volume to be heard alongside the guitar. You should hear me....GAWD, it's bloody painful LOL

Anyway, I really really like your version of this. 5 stars![/quote']

Thanks, G-girl -- you are too kind. I've only starting doing the YouTube thing a few days ago, mainly as a way for me to practice my singing when the "pressure's on" so to speak.

It's funny -- I've played guitar for many years and consider myself a decent player, but I've never had the desire to sing, mainly because I stink! BUT, If I ever hope to improve at singing so I can play on my own (open mics, social gatherings, etc.) I have to start practicing. Thus: YouTube.

Again -- thanks for the encouragement G-girl.

Great interpretation of that tune' date=' and thanks for sharing.

In that same vein, here's why [i']I[/i] play a Gibson:

Maybe we should just come up with a bumper sticker that says, "It's a Gibson thing. You wouldn't understand."

Thanks man -- I liked your song. Very nice lyrics -- lot of words to memorize! I've written a couple tunes, but I've found it takes me too much time from me at the moment -- it would take away from my guitar playing. I've got a little one running around and just isn't enough time in the day to do it all.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Oh, and your Gibson sounded fantastic! BIG sound.

I think anyone who has spent any time listening to Townes Van Zandt or Johnny Cash or Lucinda Williams or Gram Parsons (or Greg Brown, or.... well, you get the picture) will realize that it isn't really important to have what is considered a classically "good" voice.

What is important is that your singing is sincere and genuine and your own. I once read an interview with that noted vocalist, Leo Kottke, who said people will forgive a wrong note, but they won't forgive an insincere note. I've found that to be very true.

So keep singing and there's no need to apologize for your vocals. You'll get more comfortable with what you're doing.

[crying] nicely done man. That guitar sounds fantastic.

Trust me your voice is WAY better than mine. If I try to sing anything or a higher pitch I start sounding like three cats fighting... yes three

I think anyone who has spent any time listening to Townes Van Zandt or Johnny Cash or Lucinda Williams or Gram Parsons (or Greg Brown' date=' or.... well, you get the picture) will realize that it isn't really important to have what is considered a classically "good" voice.

What [i']is[/i] important is that your singing is sincere and genuine and your own. I once read an interview with that noted vocalist, Leo Kottke, who said people will forgive a wrong note, but they won't forgive an insincere note. I've found that to be very true.

So keep singing and there's no need to apologize for your vocals. You'll get more comfortable with what you're doing.

That's great advice. I definitely do need to get more comfortable singing. Thanks for your words of wisdom. That Kottke saying is so true.

I don't think that your singing sucks!

Who told you that?

I subscribed your youtube channel.

I like the way you sing that song.

And yes - the guitar is ... WOW

5 *

[biggrin][crying] [crying]

Thanks MisterGibs. You, sir, have a stunning J-200 -- I see you are using the LR Baggs pickup. I'm very happy with mine.

I love your voice and playing. Keep up the great work, my Gibson brother.

[biggrin] nicely done man. That guitar sounds fantastic.

Trust me your voice is WAY better than mine. If I try to sing anything or a higher pitch I start sounding like three cats fighting... yes three

Thanks, DAS -- I know how you feel. The main thing is we're playing and doing what we love. My YouTube handle, abbylistens, is named for my old, graying, out of shape black lab abby. She is my biggest fan -- no matter how bad my voice. When I start playing, she moves into position: laying within 10 feet of me. I swear to God, she loves the sound of the Gibson.

Great interpretation of that tune' date=' and thanks for sharing.

In that same vein, here's why [i']I[/i] play a Gibson:

Maybe we should just come up with a bumper sticker that says, "It's a Gibson thing. You wouldn't understand."

cool tune. good writing. are you playing right-strung left-handed?

Thanks' date=' DAS -- I know how you feel. The main thing is we're playing and doing what we love. My YouTube handle, abbylistens, is named for my old, graying, out of shape black lab abby. She is my biggest fan -- no matter how bad my voice. When I start playing, she moves into position: laying within 10 feet of me. I swear to God, she loves the sound of the Gibson.[/quote']

My dog (his name's pepper) comes and lies down next to me every time I start playing. It's funny.

"The main thing is we're playing and doing what we love"

Awesome!

great rendition. i love it when players venture off the beaten path with their covers. your voice is fine and the guitar is fantastic. just do it 'cause you love it and dont let the b-tards grind you down.

Thanks, man -- that's an excellent way to look at it.

I think anyone who has spent any time listening to Townes Van Zandt or Johnny Cash or Lucinda Williams or Gram Parsons (or Greg Brown' date=' or.... well, you get the picture) will realize that it isn't really important to have what is considered a classically "good" voice.[/quote']

Whilst I agree that having a note perfect singing voice with lots of range and clarity isn't important, all the people you've listed DO have great voices, can hit all (well most of) the notes and have very pleasing tone. They certainly don't have pop voices and can't sing soprano, but folk music with folk voices have been around a lot longer than pop and rock. I think it's a bit of a misconception that people like Townes and Dylan were terrible singers with strong lyrics, I think they were great singers, whose voices may have suffered at times from living lives of excess.

Since tone is subjective and a matter of taste, unless you have a downright grating voice there will always be people who are into your singing style. Also pitch, tone and tuning will drastically improve as you start to sing more frequently (unless your tone deaf). After all, the vocal chords are a muscle and like any other they need looking after and using regularly.

Personally I think you have a great sound, and unique too (plus your playing is excellent). I look forward to listening to more of your stuff in the future!

cool tune. good writing. are you playing right-strung left-handed?

Sorry for the delay in replying. That's a standard right-handed guitar which I just turned upside down and didn't re-string; i.e., the treble strings are closest to the ceiling and the bass strings are closest to the floor. It's just the way I learned.

The only difference between it and an off-the shelf guitar is it's got a lefty pickguard. (Ordered a firestripe Tor-Tis pickguard from John Greven, back when he was still selling pickguards.)

Whilst I agree that having a note perfect singing voice with lots of range and clarity isn't important' date=' all the people you've listed DO have great voices, can hit all (well most of) the notes and have very pleasing tone. They certainly don't have pop voices and can't sing soprano, but folk music with folk voices have been around a lot longer than pop and rock. I think it's a bit of a misconception that people like Townes and Dylan were terrible singers with strong lyrics, I think they were great singers, whose voices may have suffered at times from living lives of excess.

Since tone is subjective and a matter of taste, unless you have a downright grating voice there will always be people who are into your singing style. Also pitch, tone and tuning will drastically improve as you start to sing more frequently (unless your tone deaf). After all, the vocal chords are a muscle and like any other they need looking after and using regularly.

Personally I think you have a great sound, and unique too (plus your playing is excellent). I look forward to listening to more of your stuff in the future![/quote']

I should clarify that I think all those folks I listed have GREAT voices -- for what they do. They are iconic voices. And they were authentic. They were not voices a major record company would go for in this day and age and that's a shame. And seriously, can you name anyone on, say, the country charts today who has a voice of the same quality of Townes or Cash or Parsons? Today, vocals are AutoTuned into crushing conformity by the big labels; it's what the people want, apparently. Vocal imperfections just aren't tolerated.

I should clarify that I think all those folks I listed have GREAT voices -- for what they do. They are iconic voices. And they were authentic. They were not voices a major record company would go for in this day and age and that's a shame. And seriously' date=' can you name anyone on, say, the country charts today who has a voice of the same quality of Townes or Cash or Parsons? Today, vocals are AutoTuned into crushing conformity by the big labels; it's what the people want, apparently. Vocal imperfections just aren't tolerated.

[/quote']

Ryan Bingam is the only one I know of ! :-

Archived