Gibson Brands Forums

a repair question

ringostarr

Nearly anything you do to a guitar can be fixed to some degree. The question is time and expense and the amount of money you want to put into it. From what I know of guitar repair (and from work I've had done on my own guitars) the chip can be fixed, but it's going to take awhile because after the repairman does the color work, he/she will want to let the new nitro finish level out and cure. That itself could take a couple of weeks or more.

I'm not an expert, mind you, and I stand ready to be corrected if a repairman or a more knowledgeable person steps up. I'm just talking from my own repair experiences.

Sir Albertjohn:

How do I get Sheryl to come on over and do one on mine?

Moose

P.S. To say the least your suggestion is positively brilliant

Moose my dear old thing.

Again I thank you for your kind words.

Shall I send a stout fellow with a message to her, for you?

Your devoted servant.

Albertjohn

You'll only get one square of toilet paper afterwards.

That is funny.

I think a Gibson without some kind of chip or dent is not a happy Gibby. They like being played and bumps and chips are part of that. That is a real nice looking chip.

That is funny.

I think a Gibson without some kind of chip or dent is not a happy Gibby. They like being played and bumps and chips are part of that. That is a real nice looking chip.

I'm still playin' my DIF with only sweat clothes on..... I'm sure eventually I'll get a chip, nick or scratch.....but not yet!

It's a fairly easy fix but I don't know how well I could explain how to do it or how well equipped you are to carry it out. I would tint some lacquer and dab it on with the fuzzy end of a match, the once the desired shade was achieved, I'd build up clear lacquer, wet sand and then buff. It's much more time consuming than complex. Lacquer shrinks a lot, so a repair like that could take two minutes a day for a couple weeks. I have cheated before, using super glue, but that's mainly to expedite the process. Sometimes the repair isn't as pretty that way but it's quick.

You Trekkies need to work on that teleporter, I'd keep you all in good repair.

Archived