Gibson Brands Forums

maybe a stupid question?

GibsonTruthSeeker

Hello all -

My story: I come into work a couple or three months ago, and I see one (of the two excellent) guitar players I work with playing a guitar, so I veer off my work path to check in. Listened, sang along, played it for a minute, threw myself back into the fray of work. Later, went back, and got the story, and played; a Gibson Super-Dove. Saying "wow" is an understatement. I don't play piano, but all I could think of is that - to my ear - it was like playing a Steinway.

Since then I've been obsessed with finding the right Gibson for me. My co-workers say: "The Super-Dove sounds a little thin next to the J-200."

Whatever! It sounded incredible to me, but what do I know? I've only played many funky guitars my whole life.

Since then bought and sold a few guitars, and am now set on getting a Gibson acoustic/electric. But which one? And does it even matter?

There's a '67 J-50 for sale in my area, $1,500, and it seems like an okay deal. But every forum I go to, everyone says they love whatever Gibson they have. It seems to me like each one has a really nice sound, and when it hits you, it HITS you.

I don't personally care about looks (but the Hummingbird, Dove, any Sunburst sure are purty), sound is all I care about.

I'm a singer/songwriter, influenced by 60's-whatever to 80's-whatever, to anything that catches my ear today. The Super Dove was incredible, every note just RANG out. To my ear, anyway.

Any comments/feedback are appreciated, just trying to figure out what Gibson I should get (or should I just go for the best deal?).

Thanks!

Hi GibsonTruthSeeker. Love the name and welcome to the forum.

You've just got to play as many Gibson as you can and compare them to others too. Those Martins and Taylors make some good stuff too.

I shall leave our fellow forumites to wax lyrical about their own guitars. I own only one Gibson acoustic, a Songwriter Deluxe. If it's the last acoustic I ever get, that's fine with me.

It's a spruce top with rosewood back and sides. It has a bold sound with lots of complex overtones. Deep bass and clear mids and highs. I'm a strummer and have a reasonably aggressive style and the sometimes growliness of the tone is joyous when riden hard.

I'm not a fingerpicker which is due to my lack of technique but others have reported here that it works well with this style too.

I chose mine over a Hummingbird. The particular example I played was too timid and muddy for me (possibly not a good example). I bought mine for occasional live work to. The cutaway I have has onboard Fishman electrics, eq, tuner. I've plugged it it to a variety if PAs including Bose and my Marshall AS50. Never been disappointed with the results.

It is a rather blinged up guitar which is not to everyone's taste. But I like the gold and abalone - on the guitar that is.

It's not your typical Gibson. If you want Dylan, then look at a J45 or similar. Pete Townshend, then it has to be a J200.

Have fun looking and be sure to let us know how things develop.

Always a guitar that fits your music. You'll know when it sounds right. The J50 could work, more a "Dylan/JT thing to the Doves Petty/Mel'camp. In other words, a bit more jangle to the J50 vs the smooth chop of the Dove. Also you are looking at new vs old--later have been a round the block, so check it out for cracks, neck angle, all that. What else? skinny round neck on the J, flat profile on the Dove. J

It sounded incredible to me' date=' but what do I know?

[/quote']

You know everything you need to know about finding the right guitar for you. If you like the sound, that's all that matters.

Some people believe that certain guitars are for certain types of music, that's pure bull snot. I play Jazz on my Flying V because I like the feel and sound of the guitar. If you buy the guitar you like, instead of what someone else says you should buy, you'll be a lot happier.

Like you already guess - when you buy an acoustic guitar you buy the acoustic sound that you like the best.

So this is only you who will choose the guitar. Because you know exactly what acoustic sound you expect to hear from YOUR guitar.

Check out all the Gibson acoustic models you can check and choose YOUR guitar....

... or just let the guitar to choose you :) Good Luck!

I'm sure some of the people in here are sick of this story...but in the mid 1960's while working in a music store, I played a brand-new Hummingbird. The music store mainly sold pianos, so I can appreciate your relating playing the Super Dove to a Steinway...THAT'S the way I felt about the Hummingbird.

I more than lusted after that guitar, but I simply couldn't afford it at the time.

Fast forward to 1980 and my wife knew of my lust for a Gibson "bird", so for a gift she bought me a Dove. At first I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a Hummingbird, but over the years, I've come to appreciate what a great guitar the Dove is. I haven't played a Super Dove, (I'm not a "cut-away" fan), but if you've been "hit by the thunderbolt", (as they said in The Godfather), then nothing else will ever satisfy you.

And the other Super Dove doesn't even have a dove on the pickguard! (which is the one I played):

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/Super-Dove/Features.aspx

I played a Dove recently, but the strings were old, really hard to tell how it sounded. I've been trying to find a Dove and a Super Dove around here so I can hear them side-by-side, but haven't had any luck yet.

Man' date='

If you really speak about the "other Super Dove" - just try some SJ 200

It will blow your mind.

But if you want a "Dove" - well - the "Dove" is a "Dove"

Or better - "Doves in flight!"

P.S. - go see some SJ 200 - stunning guitar!

[/quote']

Krasi...if you show him your SJ-200, I'll show him my Doves In Flight!!

Dan,

show him your "Doves in flight first"

And we will live him to think it over for a while (for this will be hard for him)

And then I'll show him M-R GIBS ;-)

Here is what I think - I love the Dove. I never took a real dove in hands but...

Longtime ago there was a song "Forever" - "Kiss"

There is an acoustic guitar solo. Many many years I did not know on what guitar they played the solo...

Recently I looked the clip and - wow wow - this is a "Dove" black...

This solo is the PERFECT ACOUSTIC SOLO SOUND FOR ME IN THE WHOLE ROCK MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!

I have this song on a CD in my car and i hear it every day.

I have the "Dove" in my ears.....

I got a question -

This link posted by GibsonTruthSeeker:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/Super-Dove/Features.aspx

Has a picture of a SJ-200 (like my MC)' date=' but the accompanying text calls it a Super Dove.

Whatz up with that??? [-(

[/quote']

That does NOT look like a Super Dove. Looks like a SJ-200 with a cut away, (whatever that would be called).

Well...

after you showed him your "Doves in flight", as i mentioned above - it will be great (for him) to leave him some time to revive...

And the I will show him M-R GIBS

Dan: I LOVE YOUR "D I F", man!!!!

Great, stunning guitar!!!!!!!

Avesome..

Well...

after you showed him your "Doves in flight"' date=' as i mentioned above - it will be great (for him) to leave him some time to revive...

And the I will show him M-R GIBS

Dan: I LOVE YOUR "D I F", man!!!!

Great, stunning guitar!!!!!!!

Avesome..

[/quote']

You're right.. showing him a guitar as beautiful as M-R GIBS might be too much for his heart!!

Archived