Gibson Brands Forums

Cool temperatures

maninblack

Strange question with Spring and Summer on their way...But is it ok to keep acoustic guitars stored between 55-65 degrees Farenheit? We talk a lot about the importance of humidity or sudden environmental changes, but storage temperature doesn't seem to get as much attention. Especially not cooler temps. I always read that 70 is optimal, but mine are about to move from the top level of our house (around 70 degrees all year) to the finished basement which tends to run an average of 10 degrees cooler. My son will be taking over the guitar room in the next few weeks when his little sister makes her debut - so I've got no choice but to move them.

I will have a room humidifier going when needed and they will be kept in their cases when not in use. Short of jacking up the furnace I don't know how to get the basement any warmer. And by turning up the furnace the upper levels would become unbearable in the winter. A space heater is too inefficient to run non-stop.

Can properly humidified acoustics handle prolonged storage at 50-65 degree temps without adverse effects? My hunch is that they can so long as we aren't talking freezing temps. Does anybody know different? Your advice is always appreciated.

55 seems a bit low for me. I would be nervous going below 60 or over 80 - 10° either side of 70.

Of course it's sudden changes you have to guard against. As far as storage goes, I've seen some attic guitars that survived just fine after years in unregulated storage. On the other hand, I've also seen some wrecks. Same goes for the basement storage - and of course there's water worries there for some.

As I'm sure you know, the different components of the guitar expand and contract differently in response to temperature and humidity changes. Some parts expand faster than others, and vice versa. Change too quickly and you get finish checking, fret ends popping, inlays and binding moving/cracking, even wood cracks.

Geez, I'm getting nervous just talking about it. . . . I gotta go check my guitars. [biggrin]

You might have to run a dehumidifier in basement during the summer. I know without one my basement gets really damp. I set my basement dehumidifier at 55% and it practically runs all summer long. During the winter, with the furnace going, my basement gets down to 30% humidity. So, be careful with that.

While I would avoid attic or basement storage if at all possible BigKahune is right . . . it's sudden changes in temperature that are most harmful, so try to avoid that. I used to live in a tropical climate where it could be up to 45 Celcius (113 Farenheit) but generally very humid, and I didn't have air conditioning either! And now here in England it can be pretty cold in the winter. I've taken my guitars to places like Texas too! I've been pretty lucky and not had any real problems, apart from some weatherchecking which recently occurred when I had to take my old J45 into a radio station on a very cold day and it literally developed weatherchecking during the radio show!

At least 10 are going down below.

Just take care to ensure that they are not in contact with any dampness down in the basement. If there is any risk of it being damp you could maybe get a table and put the cases on top of that so they are not in contact with the floor or walls. Then put the blanket over the top of the cases. Just an idea, I don't really know how damp it get's where you are.

its a non-issue. Any reasonable temp is fine. Frankly I think guitars that are babied take longer to develop their tone. Use them, take them to festivals, take them to bars, play outside and inside, then they're happy.

All of mine have seen temps WAY below 60. They travel, do load ins, load outs, ect. The trick is avoiding SUDDEN changes.

Houses in the '20s/'30s/'40s/'50s ect., weren't constant, nor in the '70 degree range.

You guys are spoiling your guitars.......

[biggrin]

"Maybe I'll throw a blanket over them in the winter. Sounds like most of you would hesitate at 60 degrees - but I have no choice. Only a few can stay upstairs with me. At least 10 are going down below. Here is hoping for the best."

I live in Phoenix, where 110 is not unusual. There is no way I can afford to keep my house, at 70. You just have to do the best you can.

My guitars are fine, at this point. Both are 2005's, & look brand new!

Mine have spent a month at 50 f with no problems (humidity maintained at 45-50%). We ship guitars, and you know they get plenty cold traveling in the winter. 60 degrees wouldn't worry me at all. Before I got arthritis I used to turn the heat down to 62-64 every night. The guitars didn't complain.

I think they are fine if you avoid sudden changes and maintain the right humidity levels. Watch excess humidity in the basement. i had an old beater in the basement, got it out recently, and the guitar was fine, but the case had gotten moldy and had to be discarded. Fortunately it was a cheap cardboard case, but I doubt I would have ever gotten all the mold out.

As for putting blankets on them, it might slow the initial cooling speed down a bit, but they are going to get to room temperature.

2006 Gibson Les Paul Std

2005 Gibson J-45 MC

2005 Epi Dot

I live in a very wet part of the country in a house that is heated with wood-so its cold in the morning during winter-I use no humidifier in the cases and when the guitars are not being played they are in the cases- The Paul is a desert burst and the J-45 is the normal tri burst color. The beautiful finish on both of these guitars still looks like they did the first day I brought them home- The only thing I do is wipe them down after use and use the Gibson Vintage Reissue Restoration kit on them occasionally and they look perfect- I refuse to purchase a decompression chamber to control ambient air pressure on them! Play them guitars and when you are done take care of them! Good grief

Archived