Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Experience

Silenced Fred

Ah, Guitar Center.

So let me start off with the good. I went to SamAsh, and I know everyone who works there. I bought my first guitar there, I bought my Gibson there, we go way back. Play around on a Night Train and a Telecaster. I have to say, Telecasters are ugly as sh¡t, but man, are they nice! I was getting some amazing tones out of it, both clean, and getting pretty dirty. It is definitely topping my list of next guitars to buy. I go there, talk to the guy, and I get two names of places which I shall be contacting. I have to get my Sunn repaired, as the switch to go from 12.5 to 50 watts doesn't work, stuck on 50. After that, I go to Guitar Center because they are located about 1 mile apart. And the fun begins....

Walk into Guitar Center, and they have a flood of Laguna brand guitars and Raven amplifiers that they are pushing. Walk through that crap and I had good luck with a Tele before, so I pick one up and go over to the Mesa amplifiers. The Mesas don't work! [lol]

Strike One for Guitar Center #-o

So I take the Tele, and go to the Vox amps, first AC15 doesn't work! (And before anyone says anything, yes. I did check to make sure it was plugged in, and the power strip worked, so it was the amp)

Strike Two for Guitar Center #-o #-o

Then I ask them for names of any amp technicians they use or whatnot (hey its worth a shot) I talk to the Store Manager and he brings me to the on site tech who works on guitar. I ask if he works on amps, and he says I'll try (because that is real encouraging) He says to bring it in, so I say alright (I already knew I wasn't but didn't want to make a scene). He is working on a Hannah Montana acoustic guitar at the time. And this is where it gets fun, remember when I said I didn't want to make a scene? [lol]

So, the store manager starts talking to him and he says "Look at this crap people buy nowadays" (refering to the hannah montana guitar) "Its just like 'lets whore ourselves out to sell crappy guitars"

Strike Three for Guitar Center #-o #-o #-o

At that point, I can't hold my tongue. I look at him and say, "you have quite a few in stock, so you are whoring yourself out?"

I get the dirtiest look from both of them and I walk out. For some reason, I don't think I will go back. And even if I did, I don't know if I would be welcome back.

I feel like Neo now...

Did Neo give you step by step instructions on Posting and Getting the worst out of GC employees' date=' or are you purely imitating?[/quote']

It kinda just happened. After I wrote that, I was like if I added more red font, and more smileys, that would be a Neo post.

Was it you that dropped the Night Train at the Sam Ash store on Dundee Rd?????????

Just kidding ,I know what stored your talking about. I bought my first Gibson at that same GC and will

never return.

I recently bought a VOX VT30 at that Sam Ash and had a great experience.

If you go to the GC Arlington Hts store ask for the Hebrew Assassin....nice guy

Was it you that dropped the Night Train at the Sam Ash store on Dundee Rd?????????

Just kidding ' date='I know what stored your talking about. I bought my first Gibson at that same GC and will

never return.

I recently bought a VOX VT30 at that Sam Ash and had a great experience.

If you go to the GC Arlington Hts store ask for the Hebrew Assian....nice guy

[/quote']

No, I go to the Sam Ash in Lombard (and I am sticking to that [lol] )

I would never drop a Night Train, I treat amps like gods, I always put them on standby and let them warm up and everything.

Went to the Guitar Center in Villa Park, all it is is a bunch of punk *** kids playing "thrash metal" on a Line 6 with a BC Rich.

I actually like the one in Arlington Hts, I think I will be going there exclusively now [lol] well, that and Sam Ash

When you said the Mesa's didn't work. I don't know about where your at, but the GC around here won't keep tube amps plugged in so kids don't come it and flip the on/off and standby switches on at the same time and turn the volume up so tubes end up getting blown. As a matter of fact if you want to play a tube amp at the one here you have to ask the people to bring out a power chord and plug it in and they won't leave you alone. They sit there with you telling you about the amp.

When you said the Mesa's didn't work. I don't know about where your at' date=' but the GC around here won't keep tube amps plugged in so kids don't come it and flip the on/off and standby switches on at the same time and turn the volume up so tubes end up getting blown. As a matter of fact if you want to play a tube amp at the one here you have to ask the people to bring out a power chord and plug it in and they won't leave you alone. They sit there with you telling you about the amp.[/quote']

Nope, just leave em plugged in. I checked a couple times.

Nobody plays em anyways, all people play are the Line 6 amps, some of the higher gain tube amps, and some of the old guys play the Fender amps. Me, I use everything except for Line 6

Sounds like you want to be adopted by Neo?

I love my parents' date=' I really do.

If Neo wants to be one of those cool uncles (not the creepy ones that touch you) but the cool ones that give presents, thats fine by me.

Neo- If you need it, I can PM you my address for shipping the 335 [biggrin

Nope' date=' just leave em plugged in. I checked a couple times.

Nobody plays em anyways, all people play are the Line 6 amps, some of the higher gain tube amps, and some of the old guys play the Fender amps. Me, I use everything except for Line 6[/quote']

They got the fuses out then.

sorry that happened to ya man. sounds alot like mine. I HATE GC they are the worst stores.

how about getting my first les paul from there, and the input jacks are not positive - postive there pos - neg.

the tone was horrid

Hmmm' date=' wondering if neo ever spent some time in Illinois.[/quote']

Yeah, but only in 1988 and 2007 - the math doesn't work.

:-({|=

First time I tried to play a Boogie at Guitar Center, they were all unplugged.

The salespunk came in to power one up, and it was making all kinds of swishing/hissing noise.

Tried a couple others with no luck.

Last one - the Lone Star - and he finally got it to work.

Started jamming, thinking what a really, really nice amp it is....

Then the smell of burning plasic cut everything short, had to pull the plug, bail out and block the door open.

There were still plastic mesh tube protectors on all the power tubes.

I don't know why the smoke detectors didn't go off.

Woulda been funny as hell if the sprinklers did - wonder how they woulda sold all that gear?

Double the price, then mark it down 10% to "blow it all out" on the weekend sale, eh?

Woulda been funny as hell if the sprinklers did - wonder how they woulda sold all that gear?

Double the price' date=' then mark it down 10% to "blow it all out" on the weekend sale, eh?

[/quote']

They would have said all guitars used to be owned by Roger WATERS!

#-o[cool]:-#

OUCH!!

That must have been the GC on Roosevelt Rd there in Lombard....

OOPS' date=' did I say that out loud.[/quote']

#-o Maybe (And that means YES) :-#

I am never going back there. I know all GCs are the same, but at least the one in Arlington Hts has some decent staff.

SamAsh I prefer, but they don't have the same stock.

I will order most of my stuff from Sweetwater now, looking to get a Way Huge Swollen Pickle from them for my birthday [cool]

In Chicago' date=' what about these guys?

www.makenmusic.com

I was there in 2007 - pretty cool store with some very nice gear.

Not a BIG store, but I was impressed with the selection of guitars, and especially amps.[/quote']

I was looking online, they have a Dual Terror on ebay. Open box for 650.

That's 200 bucks off, I was very tempted, but lack of money seems to fix that problem quite well

In Chicago' date=' what about these guys?

www.makenmusic.com

I was there in 2007 - pretty cool store with some very nice gear.

Not a BIG store, but I was impressed with the selection of guitars, and especially amps.[/quote']

Hell yes! This is the place if you have the cash and your eyes are on some high end guitar or amp or a killer boutique pedal. Outside of my Fuzz Factory, I buy all of my pedals there (wish I would have gone there to buy it. They had one with a Kung Fu master painted on it). The sales staff is hands down the best in Chicago.

Archived