Gibson Brands Forums

Strat Rebuild with Treble Bleed

FirstMeasure

All Pics are links to where you can view very large versions.

2563526340100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

This is what started it, stripped out Tremolo Arm Screw Hole

So I decided to replace it with a Wilkinson WV6SB Tremolo. While it was in Dry Dock, I decided to give it an Overhaul. New Switch, Pots, Caps, Wire, and "What The heck? Why not a Treble Bleed Circuit while I'm in there?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2112759210100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

The old Guts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2195335810100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

All the new stuff

2771668990100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Caps and Pots

2193595250100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

New Guts with Military Grade Teflon Coated Silver Plated Stranded wire. Very nice wire to work with, even if it doesn't help the tone (and I'm gonna keep pretending it does). BTW, can you find the mistake in this picture (DS al CODA)

2392580040100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Old Claw with new Ground. The new Wilkinson Claw was too narrow and would have required redrilling.

2830317740100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

New Wilkinson WV6SB Trem with Steel Block installed.

2466929910100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Here's the Duncan Style Treble Bleed Circuit (AKA Treble Bypass Filter). (CODA: Mistake fixed in this picture)

2975745580100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Then out to the Creek to soak up some Mojo.

{Edit} Forgot to mention, This overhaul really brought the Vintage Noiseless Pickups to life. I thought of them as Timid Pickups and even considered replacing them with Hot Noiseless, but now I see why (or should I say Hear why) Clapton uses them in his Signature Strats. This Guitar Snarls, Growls, and Sparkles now.

Thanks Joko. Just left it out there long enough to get the pic. :-k

"Treble Bleed Circuit" is a Cap or a Cap and Resister wired in to bypass the Volume Knob. It allows the highs and some mids to "Bleed Through" while you turn the volume down. Giving you a fuller tone at low volumes. It really works, too.

Thanks Joko. Just left it out there long enough to get the pic. [wink]

"Treble Bleed Circuit" is a Cap or a Cap and Resister wired in to bypass the Volume Knob. It allows the highs and some mids to "Bleed Through" while you turn the volume down. Giving you a fuller tone at low volumes. It really works' date=' too.[/quote']

How much of a pain is it to install a treble bleed? I have always wanted to put one in on my LP because I do play it at lower volumes to get cleaner

How much of a pain is it to install a treble bleed? I have always wanted to put one in on my LP because I do play it at lower volumes to get cleaner

It took some time to get the Resistor, capacitor and the wires all in the right post without getting a Bridge of Solder from one post to the next, but With a couple of pointy solder tools ($3.99 from Radio Shack) and patience, i got them Threaded and tight. It would be easier to do one in series but I wanted to go for the one Seymour Duncan uses, which is parallel.

If you've soldered before and trust yourself in tight spots with the Iron, it's not that hard.

What happened to the old V you recent aquired?

This kinda sidetracked me. This and my Nighthawk are my main axes for gigging and practice' date=' I had to get it back in shape. It's better than new now, I can get back to the V. Time to learn how to do a Push Pull Pot.

Hey [b']Deepblue[/b], That's some clean work, it belongs on a clear acrylic body so it can be displayed. Mine looks like an Easter Basket compared to that one. Big Caps, too, What kind are they?

"Treble Bleed Circuit" is a Cap or a Cap and Resister wired in to bypass the Volume Knob. It allows the highs and some mids to "Bleed Through" while you turn the volume down. Giving you a fuller tone at low volumes. It really works' date=' too.[/quote']

It does, I did the same to my Squier 51 and it works like a charm.

This kinda sidetracked me. This and my Nighthawk are my main axes for gigging and practice' date=' I had to get it back in shape. It's better than new now, I can get back to the V. Time to learn how to do a Push Pull Pot.

Hey [b']Deepblue[/b], That's some clean work, it belongs on a clear acrylic body so it can be displayed. Mine looks like an Easter Basket compared to that one. Big Caps, too, What kind are they?

I bought my pickups from Stepensdesign, then had them sent to Rothstein Guitars for a prewire.

They do amazing work there. He suggested V-caps. They are pricey, but (apparently) the best on the

market. I also asked for the treble bleed so I dont lose and high end if I turn the volume down.

It comes pre assembled on the pickguard...you just pop it in!

I was going for an SRV tone, and I must say even with my limited skills I can get into the Stevie zone

even if only for a little while! lol

Heres the site...

http://www.guitar-mod.com/

Nice job FM. I know what you mean about having a main axe down. It took me like 3 days to finish putting a pickup in my SG. By the end I was getting really impatient. Oh and my work is not pretty either. Fully functional but not pretty. Installing a pickup is easy but I ran into some unexpected problems and had to get a little creative.

Deepblue. I was gonna say if you did that that's pretty impressive. That looks great.

I think the treble bleed is a particularly good idea in a Strat because we all know how they love to clean up when you roll back the volume. I usually keep my amp distorted and roll back the volume to clean it up so if I get a Strat I'll look into this.

Doesn't Gibson have this on a few guitars and don't they call it a Memphis tone circuit? Like on the 339?

[/quote']

Have you made a decision on what kind of pup is going in the V?

so what are the new values of the caps and resistors?

Did you consider trying a different brand/make of cap such as orange drop or luxe instead of a ceramic cap?

Tone Caps are .02 for the middle Pickup and .03uf for the Neck. For the Treble Bleed Circuit I used a .001uf Cap and 220k Resistor.

I thought about getting Orange Drops or even the Paper in Oil vintage style ones, but this was my first experience with rewiring an entire pick guard or even doing anything with Tone Caps so I wanted to work with components I could destroy without regret. And I wanted to know how the "Regular" stuff worked before I experienced the High end stuff.

I bought my pickups from Stepensdesign' date=' then had them sent to Rothstein Guitars for a prewire.

They do amazing work there. He suggested V-caps. They are pricey, but (apparently) the best on the

market. I also asked for the treble bleed so I dont lose and high end if I turn the volume down.

It comes pre assembled on the pickguard...you just pop it in!

I was going for an SRV tone, and I must say even with my limited skills I can get into the Stevie zone

even if only for a little while! lol

Heres the site...

http://www.guitar-mod.com/ [/quote']

Great Site, they do great work. After I get used to the way my Strat's performing now, I think I'll start replacing the caps with something more stylish (for lack of a better word).

I know what you mean about Stevie's zone, we normal player are only granted brief glimpses of his Power and Energy, but those glimpses are very uplifting.

Nice job FM. I know what you mean about having a main axe down. It took me like 3 days to finish putting a pickup in my SG. By the end I was getting really impatient. Oh and my work is not pretty either. Fully functional but not pretty. Installing a pickup is easy but I ran into some unexpected problems and had to get a little creative.

Deepblue. I was gonna say if you did that that's pretty impressive. That looks great.

I think the treble bleed is a particularly good idea in a Strat because we all know how they love to clean up when you roll back the volume. I usually keep my amp distorted and roll back the volume to clean it up so if I get a Strat I'll look into this.

Doesn't Gibson have this on a few guitars and don't they call it a Memphis tone circuit? Like on the 339?

Having you main axe down is like having your utilities shut off. I had to redo the Treble Bleed because the solder joint was so bad it would let signal through. I did it at 4:30 in the morning instead of sleeping on it and doing it fresh :) [-(

Archived