Gibson Brands Forums

Worst MTV video ever?

saturn

I came across this while looking through the Related clips to Red Shoes. According to the poster, it was the 41st video ever played on MTV. These guys were pretty good in the 80s too, but this video is hilariously bad. And it was shot on The Block, which was the XXX district in Baltimore.

[thumbup]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I remember when MTV first came on the air in 1981 (?) and I was watching it at a friend's house.

A few of the videos were cool enough in a curious sort of way - I was thinking we'd see concert clips....

Over a few days of watching it, there were a few videos that I thought were pretty cool.

But for the most part, we spent a lot of time talking about how incredibly stupid they were.

Looking back, I think part of it would have been defending what I was watching to my parents.

If I was watching some live stage production of a favorite band, it would simply be music my folks didn't like.

But watching something even more stupid than most Saturday morning cartoons....?

At age 16 even, I wouldn't have been caught dead watching such stupid sh!t.

Well, a few bands that I really liked did videos for songs I really liked - and they weren't too bad.

For the most part, in my opinion, the videos were a waste of time.

If I can't even rip off the guitar parts because they aren't even playing, I ain't watching.

And Dave,

The whole "Jesus Is My Friend" thing is why I quit playing at church.

About the time I had warmed up to the idea of playing very pop-oriented, bouncy, happy songs they would

throw in something just a little too lame for my tastes. If any of those videos ever escape into the world...

[blink]/

I came across this while looking through the Related clips to Red Shoes. According to the poster' date=' it was the 41st video ever played on MTV. These guys were pretty good in the 80s too, but this video is hilariously bad. And it was shot on The Block, which was the XXX district in Baltimore.

[cool

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I just love the part where the guy plays that mini keyboard, then tucks it into his jacket and commences to play guitar [blink]

Anybody remember American Bandstand on TV every Saturday?

EVERY band that appeared on that show was simply dancing with an instrument.

I actually liked when John Cougar appeared on the show and made a mockery of it.

They were using a big upright acoustic bass, the drummer was just dancing - nobody pretended to play.

I can hear the surprise across the nation when people realized it wasn't real...

[blink]

All that being said - here's the first video I remember I actually liked.

Pat Benatar was always a little odd-looking to me so I never got the whole sex symbol thing.

But I remember seeing this video and absolutely loving the guitar work - without even seeing the band.

I bought the album, Crimes Of Passion, and was rewarded with some of the tastiest Strat Rock I've ever heard.

One of my favorite albums to this day.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6T3KiHtkUk[/YOUTUBE]

All the lame-*** weirdness one video can contain - plus aluminum foil all over the place.

Then play it 100 times a day...

I actually liked the Strat work in this song, despite its redline reading on the Suck O Meter.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived