Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a 2008 Les Paul?

NeoConMan

Well I did a bit of research and something interesting popped up. Before I answer, I'll ask a question (don't know if Neo wants to answer this). Is the month of production still May?

EDIT: This is getting interesting. OK, let me ask another question. Is 01411522 a 2001?

Guitar Center in Scottsdale, Arizona is the nicer of the four stores in the Phoenix area.

Lucky us, eh?

So I stopped in there to look around and see if they've arrested their marked decline.

They were a higher-end Guitar Center that had started to look pretty average.

Not much had changed since my last visit.

Their used gear usually had been some decent stuff, if sometimes shady and always overpriced.

This time there was lotsa junk, miniature guitars, Chinese junk, etc...

The sole exception was a really good looking Les Paul Goldtop.

Hang tag said it was a 2008, for $1,700.

The first thing to cross my mind is that a new one could be had for that price with some shopping.

Second thing was that it must have sold new somewhere else, because it was flawless.

2008 Goldtop, eh?

I don't like the "new" Standard after October 2008 so I picked it up to see if it had all the new crap on it.

If it's the old-style Standard, I might be interested....

No locking jack, tailpiece or bridge, neck feels normal, so I checked the serial number to see when it was made.

Then I saw the 2001 serial number.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I looked again to see the hang tag - clearly labeled as a 2008 Standard Goldtop.

Now, we're in Guitar Center, and EVERYBODY working there knows the serial numbers.

Is that really a mistake on their part?

Leroy, the manager of that Guitar Center, is a decent guy.

He's not a dummy, and nobody working for him will be either.

They're in Scottsdale, the Phoenix version of Beverly Hills.

I was gonna ask Leroy about it before I left but he was busy.

I didn't even play anything - just walked out.

Archived