Gibson Brands Forums

Selling Gear At GC

STLBlues

Is Guitar Center fair about what they are willing to pay for your used gear? I know once you buy a brand new guitar, it's value depreciates greatly so I'm not expecting to get a whole lot of cash back. I'm just wondering if anyone here ever delt with them and what to expect.

[biggrin]

Looks like I'll be staying away from them. So is it really that bad over there? Are we talking a few hundred bucks back for a 2k guitar?

Well think they have to make a profit.

My friend took his mew standard squier strat. 230 new.

gave him 80 bucks.

I've seen it happen a lot

Is Guitar Center fair about what they are willing to pay for your used gear? I know once you buy a brand new guitar' date=' it's value depreciates greatly so I'm not expecting to get a whole lot of cash back. I'm just wondering if anyone here ever delt with them and what to expect.

:-k [/quote']

Well . . . nobody has much good to say about Guitar Centre on here. Whatever you think of GC or any other shop you're always going to get a better price for your gear if you sell it locally or through ebay etc because there is no middle man. Then you have the additional benefit of being a cash buyer at whichever guitar store you choose to buy your new gear from, and if you're paying cash you stand a good chance of making a better deal on the purchase price.

NEVER sell gear at GC, Unless of course, you want to be ripped off. I bought a Les Paul Studio for around $1300, and one year later they offered me $600 for it. You'd be better off doing business on Craigslist, that's where I sell all of my gear.

god i hate selling them stuff. i once went there with my taylor acoustic trying to get a trade in for a gorgeous rickenbacker 330 and the guy offered about 350 for it(a 1000 guitar mind you). i tried arguing with the guy telling how i have spend thousands of dollars in their store and how i could easily take my business to house of guitars(a 2 hour drive for me, so not "easily" necessarily) and i was infuriated with what he was doing while i was trying to talk to him. he was literally sitting on the ground, playing MY taylor acoustic, not listening to a word i was saying. he just kept saying that he cant change the price every time i finish a sentence. immaturity to an astounding level. so the story ends with me leaving the store with my taylor, and that week someone else buys my sought after rickenbacker. i hate those people so much, i wish there was a better alternative for me to get my gear but since virtually everything in my local area is a generic store(like walmarts, targets, etc.) i cant go to any other guitar places and get the level of quality i require. i shouldnt be expected to take a 2 hour drive just to get gear i need, its horrible.

Once you have an idea what they pay for new guitars, then you get a better idea what they will do to you

on the used ones. They DO NOT WANT your used guitar, because it's too hard to sell used gear.

The only way they will take it, is if they can steal it from you.

I'm not stretching that a bit.

They have to get into used gear dirt cheap, because if it doesn't move soon they have to sell it dirt cheap.

They paid maybe $600 for your $1,000 Taylor.

Why would they pay that for a used one?

They might be able to sell your used Taylor for $750 tops.

If it doesn't move, they'll blow it out for $500.

Which means they can't or won't give you more than $350.

If they can't make a profit, why would they want it?

They are in business to MAKE MONEY - not friends.

Here's an emphatic,

HELL NO!

I took over $2k worth of gear (a couple of brand name/almost new guitars, amps, and effects) in there one day just to see what they would offer me, and after telling me how awesome it all was, they tell me $900!

I laughed right in their faces, and told them that I had offers of $1,000 or more for each of the guitars alone, and they about **** themselves!

And here's a little insight of how it works (just a scenario): You walk in, buy a brand new guitar for $2000, take it home and leave it in it's case, then the next day you decide you want a different guitar, so you take it back (unplayed and still "new). They (GC) offer to buy it back for less than half of what you paid for it, then relist/restock it with a sticker price of the same amount (and sometimes more than) what you paid for it!

They are like the pawnshops of the "new" instrument world!

thet will tell you if you ask they will pay 40% of what they can sell your gear for they will give you 50% of the value towards trade on something they have already marked up so then you can get screwed twice.[blink]

It's not evil really it's business. ruthless business without any loyalty to the customer but business.

GC or any other store is going to give the same deal, about 1/2 off the used retail price they will sell it for, this is nothing new, this has always been the deal. So anything you paid full retail for you will get screwed on. Now some times it does pay to trade in a piece of gear, I traded in a used pedal that I paid $20 for to them for $5, but then I got 15% ($75) off another piece of gear with a trade in coupon. I use ebay to sell off unwanted gear of value.

15% off http://gc.guitarcenter.com/tradeup/coupon/TITU_coupon.pdf

Here's what you do. Check through the used section on their website. You can do a national search or a specific store. Find a guitar like the one you want to sell and what they are charging for it. Then place your add on craigslist at 25 bucks more than that. When people come to check it out and ask if the price is firm tell em you'll knock of another 25 bucks if they got the cash and buy it today.

SOLD!!

It takes a little bit of your time and you might have to weed through the lowballers but with a little effort you can sell for a reasonable price. Remember the rule of thumb is that once a guitar leaves the store its value drops 40%. No one cares what mods you've made or if ya just had it set up with new strings or if Buckethead once fingered it. They do care if it comes with original hard case.

I've sold numerous guitars on craiglist and always got what I was looking for price wise.

Good luck.

Archived