Gibson Brands Forums

Just saw "Citizen Kane"...

yoda

The first time I saw Citizen Kane was during a film class in college and it really is an amazing film, especially when you start to examine it and take into account the technical limitations of the time. The long opening shot that goes through the front gates of Xanadu, travels along the property and finally goes through the window of the bedroom where Kane utters "Rosebud" must have been really tough to edit, especially with the short reels they had back then. They actually built sets for some shots that were elevated high off of the floor so that they could get low angle shots that Welles wanted - the cameras used back then were huge so they had to be lower than the set. Lots of cool stuff!

24-year-old guy who doesn't know a damn thing about movies decides to write, direct, and star in his own movie. Rich guy about whom the movie was made manages to keep said movie from seeing the light of day until he dies. Turns out to be the greatest movie of all time.

There is no doubt that Orson Wells was a true genius.

Rosebud

Okay.... when I visited Hearst Castle many years ago, I bought a book about William Randolph Hearst..... it seems he and Orson Wells had a long-running feud. Somehow, Wells knew that Hearst and Marion Davies had a special name for her....um.......er......ah...... female organ..... it was named "Rosebud", (maybe due to it's similar configuration....I don't know).

Anyway, it was obvious that Charles Foster Kane was patterned after Hearst..... and Wells got his dig at Hearst with Kane's final word!

Archived