Gibson Brands Forums

Guilty (un)pleasure

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a number of bands I feel guilty about not being able to appreciate, but I by far feel guiltiest about not "getting" Jimi Hendrix and being able to take Paige only in very small, well-spaced doses.

Oh...I don't think any of us have to feel "guilty" (at all) about liking or disliking

who we do. It's just natural. Some performers really "speak" to us, and some don't.

That's all.

I don't "Hate" any of them. The ones I don't care for, musically, I just don't listen to, or

bother with. And, with some...it's not even their music, but their attitudes, I can't deal with.

But...that's just me.

CB

There are a number of bands I feel guilty about not being able to appreciate' date=' but I by far feel guiltiest about not "getting" Jimi Hendrix and being able to take Paige only in very small, well-spaced doses.[/quote']

I have no idea how old you are, but I'm betting you were not around when Hendrix first came out. If you were, and you were a part of the "sub-culture" of the day, then it was probably easier to "get him." (Same for Page.) As most people probably know, after Hendrix moved from his R&B bands and fronted The Experience, he opened for the Monkeys. Almost nobody in that crowd had ever heard anything like it, and most Monkey fans thought Hendrix was just a lot of noise.

Since Hendrix has become so much a part of the rock genre, even helped define it, it might be harder for younger people to appreciate his contribution. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being condescending to the youth on this board, but it is hard for me to understand why any rock guitarist doesn't get Hendrix (or Page).

Of course, I could be wrong as I often am.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being condescending to the youth on this board' date=' but it is hard for me to understand why any rock guitarist doesn't get Hendrix (or Page).

[/quote']

Well, I'm older than dirt, and have always thought that JP was the "third" who tended to get lost in the middle of a solo - and never seemed above ripping off others out-right...

There's a lot that I don't "get" but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my age.

When I was younger I kind of like a few U2 songs. Now I don't.

I knew I forgot one. U2. I can't stand 'em.

A few more:

-The post-Peter Green "pop"-era Fleetwood Mac (strange, because it's almost like a completely different band. Green's Fleetwood Mac is actually one of my favorites)

-James Taylor (how did a man so boring become so successful?)

-The Moody Blues

I have no idea how old you are' date=' but I'm betting you were not around when Hendrix first came out. If you were, and you were a part of the "sub-culture" of the day, then it was probably easier to "get him." (Same for Page.) As most people probably know, after Hendrix moved from his R&B bands and fronted The Experience, he opened for the Monkeys. Almost nobody in that crowd had ever heard anything like it, and most Monkey fans thought Hendrix was just a lot of noise.

Since Hendrix has become so much a part of the rock genre, even helped define it, it might be harder for younger people to appreciate his contribution. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being condescending to the youth on this board, but it is hard for me to understand why any rock guitarist doesn't get Hendrix (or Page).

[/quote']

No, you are right. So many of the sounds that sound cliche today were brand new when Hendrix did them the first time. Since then other players have beaten them to death a thousand ways trying to imitate the stuff he did but as you know it was absolutely revolutionary back then and about 6 levels deeper than anybody else had gone at the time.

Gee, every band listed here is a band I love. The sentiments on Rush are true for a lot of people, so I can understand it. This is something that a Rush fan actually likes about them. They did it their way. How many bands have been around for 30+ years, still sell out everywhere they go and can say that?

By the way Kiss, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are in the top three for most consecutive gold and platinum albums. Do you know who is number 4?

Archived