Gibson Brands Forums

is that a mistake?

dvir

The studio is worth it. I've been playing a studio since 1992 and it sounds as good as a standard. The only thing youre missing out on is the binding. My dad and I got Les Pauls at roughly the same time and for roughly the same price. His was a beautiful quilt top Epiphone and mine was a Gibson LP Studio and while his definitely looks prettier, the Studio sounds way better.

So if you are primarily concerned with sound quality and playability the Studio is definitely the way to go. It's no mistake, it's worth it.

The studio sounds just as good as any other LP. It just doesn't have any bling' date=' so you're not paying for it.[/quote']

+1

You just need to decide if you want the added triming that comes with the STD (binding, inlays, etc), or you won't miss it if you go with a Studio.

rcscruff -

Welcome. :-k

Yeah, I'd have to concur with everyone here that the STD is DEF worth it... I almost bought one a few months back, just browsing GitCent and came across a black one that just had a BEAUTIFUL tone and was singin! When I went back the next day to grab it somebody had already snaked me and picked it up a few hours after I left.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think every guitar has it's own individual tone...very nuanced, but there none the less. Some people I've talked too say I'm nuts, that one Gibson LP is just as good as another, but I can hear tiny differences. I've played STDs that (to me) sounded better than certain 70's SGs and stuff. So I would tell you not to pick up the first STD you see, play around and try a few out and see if you find any feel or sound the slightest bit better to your hands and ears. The STD I almost got sounded superior to a lot of CSTMs and other high-end guitars I've tried out. I've also tried some STDs that had a kind of crappy tone, ones where I'd probably prefer a nice-nice Epi.

What do you guys think, am I nuts?

One difference within the Studio family, the Faded Studios come with a mahogany top, the others have a maple top.

also, some studios come with an ebony fretboard rather than rosewood, like the silverburst or alpine white finish.

Nah, I've never bought anything at Guitar Center. Or an Epiphone, either. I was just saying that the nicest sounding epiphone I've ever fiddled around with sounded better to me than the worst LP STD that I've heard. But I wouldn't mess with Epi or GC. I guess I was gonna, but that was kind of a fluke- it was a used STD and they only wanted like 750 and it was immaculate.

Actually I guess I did buy a line6 pocket pod from GC... but it was cheaper than any of the 5 or 6 mom and pop shops I stopped by first... (but then the ****ing annoying "sales associate" was trying to give me the hard-sell on the warranty! Why would I pay $40 for a one-year warranty for a piece of electronics that only cost me like $75? **** em..)

I guess what I was getting at is do you think each guitar has an individual voice, albeit ever-so-slight? Even after an awesome set-up and everything?

Archived