Gibson Brands Forums

Waded into the controversy, bought a ToneRite

dhanners623

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to bring this up again' date=' but it seems important to, at least, me. Is there any risk to the workings of an acoustic with a bridge pickup, preamp, volume & tone controls, etc. ?

[/quote']

In a word, no. The three "legs" of the ToneRite fit between the strings and you scooch it so it comes into contact with the bridge, but there's really nothing attaching it to the bridge. And the vibration is very subtle; you're not going to see the guitar shaking. You can feel it, though.

I'm now trying the ToneRite on my '98 J-45, the last of my three guitars that I've tried it on. Played it this morning after it had been on 60-some hours. I wasn't expecting the ToneRite to do much to the guitar since it already sounded really good.

I was wrong. The ToneRite seems to have brought out a more balanced tone; people use the word "presence" and it has more of that than before. Also, I had recently had the action lowered a bit, and it lost a bit of volume in the bargain. That volume is back, and more.

I'm no expert on acoustical sciences, and I have no idea how someone would go about objectively measuring the sound of one guitar versus another. But I definitely know that to my ears, my three guitars sound better after being ToneRited. (If, indeed, one can make a verb out of "ToneRite.")

<snipped> (If' date=' indeed, one can make a verb out of "ToneRite.")

[/quote']

One most definitely cannot. If you don't believe me, "Google" it, "e-mail" me, or even "text" me. [lol]

Seriously though, ToneRited sounds good to me.

Answered Questions and ToneRite Performance Review

I have a collection of around 60 guitars out of 88 total strings instruments (6&12 string guitars' date=' mandolins, ukuleles, etc). [/quote']

Does the guitar in your avatar count as one or four?

Seriousy, EXCELLENT and very helpful report. THANKS!

Red 333

In a word' date=' no. The three "legs" of the ToneRite fit between the strings and you scooch it so it comes into contact with the bridge, but there's really nothing attaching it to the bridge. And the vibration is very subtle; you're not going to see the guitar shaking. You can feel it, though.

I'm now trying the ToneRite on my '98 J-45, the last of my three guitars that I've tried it on. Played it this morning after it had been on 60-some hours. I wasn't expecting the ToneRite to do much to the guitar since it already sounded really good.

I was wrong. The ToneRite seems to have brought out a more balanced tone; people use the word "presence" and it has more of that than before. Also, I had recently had the action lowered a bit, and it lost a bit of volume in the bargain. That volume is back, and more.

I'm no expert on acoustical sciences, and I have no idea how someone would go about objectively measuring the sound of one guitar versus another. But I definitely know that to [i']my[/i] ears, my three guitars sound better after being ToneRited. (If, indeed, one can make a verb out of "ToneRite.")

Thank you, dhanners. I appreciate yor taking a minute to answer that one for me.

I read as much as I could. May have missed. Any risk to electric guts on acoustic?

I suspect you got no answer because no one has had experience with ToneRiting an electronically equipped guitar here. My 200 has a K&K PWM on the bridge plate but no associated on-board circuitry. So I reckon we don't really know. As David says, you cannot see your guitar shaking while the device is in place and operating, but it does transmit substantial vibration throughout the guitar. How will that effect preamp boards within an instrument? I dunno. I do know that most such internal equipment is mounted with double sided tape which should provide some measure of isolation from the vibrations of the guitar. You might drop an email to the folks at ToneRite and ask them what their experience has been.

I suspect you got no answer because no one has had experience with ToneRiting an electronically equipped guitar here. My 200 has a K&K PWM on the bridge plate but no associated on-board circuitry. So I reckon we don't really know. As David says' date=' you cannot see your guitar shaking while the device is in place and operating, but it does transmit substantial vibration throughout the guitar. How will that effect preamp boards within an instrument? I dunno. I do know that most such internal equipment is mounted with double sided tape which should provide some measure of isolation from the vibrations of the guitar. You might drop an email to the folks at ToneRite and ask them what their experience has been.

[/quote']

Thanks, Buc. I appreciate you taking a minute, and I'll follow your suggestion.

All three of my guitars have pickups of various kinds, but I've not had the opportunity to gig with them since using the ToneRite on them. I suspect there'll be no effect, though. The vibration is not that intense. (I'm trying to remember the various earthquake terms....)

In looking at the guitars, though, I just don't see where there'd be an issue. Maybe -- and that's a very remote maybe -- there could be some issue if the wiring was hanging by a thread, but frankly the average performer on stage subjects the guitar to way more "abuse" than the ToneRite.

I guess I was more concerned about electro-magnetic issues than vibration matters. Didn't know if a conflict could arise in that area.

I see. And it's not something I had thought about. Not sure what's in the ToneRite, but I'm guessing it is some fancy-schmancy (or not) vibrator motor; maybe a bigger version of the kind that's in a cell phone. (Or a full-size version of the kind you'd find in a.... ah, well, you know where I'm going with that....)

But yeah, electricity running through the thing might cause an EM field, but I doubt it is strong enough to have an impact on anything. I'm no electrician, though.

That said, it's not an issue I've heard of involving the ToneRite and I've not seen anyone raise it on the ToneRite owners discussion forum.

I see. And it's not something I had thought about. Not sure what's in the ToneRite' date=' but I'm guessing it is some fancy-schmancy (or not) vibrator motor; maybe a bigger version of the kind that's in a cell phone. (Or a full-size version of the kind you'd find in a.... ah, well, you know where I'm going with that....)

But yeah, electricity running through the thing might cause an EM field, but I doubt it is strong enough to have an impact on anything. I'm no electrician, though.

That said, it's not an issue I've heard of involving the ToneRite and I've not seen anyone raise it on the ToneRite owners discussion forum.[/quote']

I don't know for sure but the ToneRite design seems to be based around two vibrator motors. Most likely a more powerful version of the ones used in cell phones for vibration mode. Altering the intensity seems to increase the Hz (cycles per second) and increases the voltage thus increasing intensity. This would mean a fairly low EMI is being produced that would be completely safe around any electronics that would be used in a guitar. The short answer is that I don't see any logical reason to be concerned about risk of damage to electronics.

I hope this helps. Cheers, Ken

I suspect you got no answer because no one has had experience with ToneRiting an electronically equipped guitar here. My 200 has a K&K PWM on the bridge plate but no associated on-board circuitry. So I reckon we don't really know. As David says' date=' you cannot see your guitar shaking while the device is in place and operating, but it does transmit substantial vibration throughout the guitar. How will that effect preamp boards within an instrument? I dunno. I do know that most such internal equipment is mounted with double sided tape which should provide some measure of isolation from the vibrations of the guitar. You might drop an email to the folks at ToneRite and ask them what their experience has been.

[/quote']

Just a quick note in regards to concerns about vibration to the guitars electronics; as I stated in a previous post, the wear and tear of PLAYING your guitar is substantially move evasive and hard on your instrument then the ToneRite could ever be on any setting. I can't stress this enough. Once you used one you understand that I mean right away.

PS: Both of the guitars that I have used by ToneRite on thus far do have electronics. Taylor 714CE-LTD and Taylor NS72CE. (The Taylor "C" represents cutaway and the "E" represents electronics)

I decided to order one up for myself, I enjoy the whole process of trying to maximize the potential of my guitars and figured the tonerite would be fun. I'm really looking forward to using it on my J-185, she's been stubborn as far as opening up but is such a beautiful guitar with a great neck, I really would love to have her jump to life. I will put on the tonerite for the maximum initial treatment and give results as soon as I'm done. I figured the tonerite really wasn't too expensive considering we dropped the same amount on dinner for 2 last night.

Wish me luck.

I decided to order one up for myself' date=' I enjoy the whole process of trying to maximize the potential of my guitars and figured the tonerite would be fun. I'm really looking forward to using it on my J-185, she's been stubborn as far as opening up but is such a beautiful guitar with a great neck, I really would love to have her jump to life. I will put on the tonerite for the maximum initial treatment and give results as soon as I'm done. I figured the tonerite really wasn't too expensive considering we dropped the same amount on dinner for 2 last night.

Wish me luck.[/quote']

I also just took a big gulp of the Kool-Aid and ordered one for myself. Your comments about your J-185 are similar to my CJ-165 .....unless I play her all the time she feel neglected and it takes a while to bring out her nicest sound.

I have noticed that the threads on many of the Guitar forums started out with a lot of negativity for this product, but it seems as more and more people have actually used the thing.....people seem to do an about-face. So far of those who have tried the ToneRite.... I have yet to hear a review where someone tried it and it did nothing or caused any damage.

Should be fun to try and if it makes my CJ a little less jealous when I play my other guitars ...it will end up being worth it.

I see. And it's not something I had thought about. Not sure what's in the ToneRite' date=' but I'm guessing it is some fancy-schmancy (or not) vibrator motor; maybe a bigger version of the kind that's in a cell phone. (Or a full-size version of the kind you'd find in a.... ah, well, you know where I'm going with that....)

That said, it's not an issue I've heard of involving the ToneRite and I've not seen anyone raise it on the ToneRite owners discussion forum.[/quote']

Again, thanks, dhanner. Going to look a little deeper into what the ToneRite is really all about. I have enough acoustics that don't get the play they deserve just to make me think about it. After all, I've never let a 'want' for a pedal slow me down on the electric side of life. Appreciate all your info.

Again' date=' thanks, dhanner. Going to look a little deeper into what the ToneRite is really all about. I have enough acoustics that don't get the play they deserve just to make me think about it. After all, I've never let a 'want' for a pedal slow me down on the electric side of life. Appreciate all your info.

[/quote']

I've found the folks on the ToneRite website fairly responsive, even before I plunked my money down.

If you've got a bunch of guitars, I think the way to view the thing is that it is probably going to have a greater impact on some of them than on others. I think it is just an individual thing from guitar to guitar. I've been pleased with what it has done to my three guitars, but it's done different things to all three. It's made all of them more pleasing to listen to, but in different ways. And they were pretty pleasing to begin with; life's too short to buy stinky guitars.

• 3 weeks later...
I've found the folks on the ToneRite website fairly responsive' date=' even before I plunked my money down.

If you've got a bunch of guitars, I think the way to view the thing is that it is probably going to have a greater impact on some of them than on others. I think it is just an individual thing from guitar to guitar. I've been pleased with what it has done to my three guitars, but it's done different things to all three. It's made all of them more pleasing to listen to, but in different ways. And they were pretty pleasing to begin with; life's too short to buy stinky guitars.[/quote']

10-4. After using it in three of my own guitars so far, I couldn't have said it better. Every guitar will react to a different degree. You have to try it to see what degree of positive results will be achieved. That's actually what I find very exciting about this process!

Archived