Gibson Brands Forums

Waded into the controversy, bought a ToneRite

dhanners623

And' date=' inspite of logic to the contrary, I swear it is physically easier to play after the sessions. How this can be I do not understand. The action is unchanged yet there is a marked improvement in playability. Go figure.[/quote']

I swear the same of my J-45 I Tone-Rite'd.

I'll put the thing on my J-200 one of these days, too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really appreciate your in-depth reply, Buc. Your explanation about how the ToneRite has worked for you was informative and it made me believe I need to get one. The link to the ToneRite website was also very helpful, so thanks to dhanners623 (David) as well. From the pictures I found there, I can see how this device might at least be of assistance in the process of "breaking in" a new acoustic. It seems obvious that a quality guitar, built with a variety of tonewoods, could benefit from such a treatment, or course of treatments. I remember when Ricky Skaggs bought an old F-5 mandolin with a serial number very close to one of Bill Monroe's famous personal "players". It was apparently, virtually unplayed, and Skaggs said its sound was beginning to unlock the more he used it. Likewise, there was a familiar "old wive's tale" about how the sound of an acoustic guitar could be enhanced just by its presence, over a long period of time, in an environment where loud music was ongoing, like a music store or a recording studio.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Till now, I've never been a big participant in "social media", but this Forum is beginning to make me see the value of that, as well. If nothing else, it's just nice to visit with folks who are really interested in topics I care about.

Best,

Jack6849

Hey ....would any of you ToneRite owners be willing to rent yours out for a couple weeks?

Funny you brought that up, because I was about to ask the same. Perhaps someone is interested in becoming a rental service for their tonerite, especially if they have used it for the last and only time. I just have one guitar to use it on and seems a shame to buy it for one instance.

Funny you brought that up' date=' because I was about to ask the same. Perhaps someone is interested in becoming a rental service for their tonerite, especially if they have used it for the last and only time. I just have one guitar to use it on and seems a shame to buy it for one instance.[/quote']

I believe the manufacturer suggests treatments every now and then to help "wake up" the guitar. It's not a one-time-only device. I know folks who have several guitars -- and can't play them all the time -- and they'll stick the ToneRite on them for a spell before gigging with them.

But it has struck me that if a chap had two or three or four friends, they could go in together on a ToneRite and pass it around once it arrived. Would spread out the capital outlay required of each partner in the venture.

I believe the manufacturer suggests treatments every now and then to help "wake up" the guitar. It's not a one-time-only device.

Yes, I remember that from the ToneRite site, but it's stikes me as odd. If the device does in fact unite the wood of the guitar into a vibrating whole, why would that process be reversed over time? That doesn't make much sense to me. ToneRite says it removes the "tension" in the instruments construction, thereby making it one with itself, freeing it to vibrate more freely. Once this tension is resolved in this manner how could it return? Do 50+ year old guitars that were played hard for 30 or 40 years then put away for another 10 lose the magic of vintage tone? Personally I think not, though I don't have any first hand experience to suggest otherwise.........just logic.

As for a ToneRite rental program, I'm not agin it in concept, but how could it be executed to the satisfaction of all parties? As a feeler, in my mind the renter would cover shipping to and from the owner and each transaction would be owner-to-renter then back to the owner......not passed from owner to renter to renter to renter, etc. This would make each transaction unique and eliminate the "hey I shipped it to so-and-so last week....I don't have it anymore" situation. As I said, I'm open to the possiblilty. But, if the effect of ToneRite treatment is fleeting as above, why would everyone not want their own unit for treatment as required? Too many questions for me to ponder this early in the morning........I need some coffee......

Yes' date=' I remember that from the ToneRite site, but it's stikes me as odd. If the device does in fact unite the wood of the guitar into a vibrating whole, why would that process be reversed over time? That doesn't make much sense to me. ToneRite says it removes the "tension" in the instruments construction, thereby making it one with itself, freeing it to vibrate more freely. Once this tension is resolved in this manner how could it return? Do 50+ year old guitars that were played hard for 30 or 40 years then put away for another 10 lose the magic of vintage tone? Personally I think not, though I don't have any first hand experience to suggest otherwise.........just logic.

As for a ToneRite rental program, I'm not agin it in concept, but how could it be executed to the satisfaction of all parties? As a feeler, in my mind the renter would cover shipping to and from the owner and each transaction would be owner-to-renter then back to the owner......not passed from owner to renter to renter to renter, etc. This would make each transaction unique and eliminate the "hey I shipped it to so-and-so last week....I don't have it anymore" situation. As I said, I'm open to the possiblilty. But, if the effect of ToneRite treatment is fleeting as above, why would everyone not want their own unit for treatment as required? Too many questions for me to ponder this early in the morning........I need some coffee......

[/quote']

I have wondered if the "repeated treatment" thing is just a ToneRite marketing ploy. Some potential buyers may be turned off by the "one-time-only" aspect, but if they're told it is something they should use from time to time, they may be more apt to buy it as it would make more sense as a purchase. While I'm no expert in guitar acoustics (or acoustic guitars) Buc's logic seems sound; If a guitar is "woken up," why would it go back to sleep?

As far as the group ownership/rental thing goes, I'd only be interested in doing it with people I know who live close by. Mailing the thing back and forth to people I only know virtually is a recipe for trouble.

It's so interesting to read this thread and compare it to others about the same subject, elsewhere. In some other threads on other sites, the conversation is downright sceptical, scornful, and even disrespectful to those who believe the claims made by ToneRite. Here, even the sceptics have an open mind, and non-believers are respectful of their peers' beliefs. More interestingly, most here are enthusiastic about the possibility that ToneRite can speed up the breaking in process. And it's not like our Gibsons don't already sound great, and we were just waiting for something to come along and fix them...

This forum may not be the biggest, but it's the best, IMO.

As for me, I see no reason why the ToneRite shouldn't work as claimed. I may order one myself, and see if it does something to some of my guitars. Lord knows they don't get enough individual playing time, so maybe it will help them somewhat.

I tell you what, between Jinder's rave review of his new Blues King, and this thread about the positive effects of the ToneRite, I have to hide my checkbook! No wonder the manufacturers all sponser forums. What effective advertising!

Red 333

Is it possible to fit this under the cushion of a chair ' date=' for example????[/quote']

Thay have those things that supposedly give your abs a workout via tiny electric shocks while you sit like a bum on the sofa. Put that on your tummy and the ToneRite under the cushion and I'd say you're in high cotton.

Red 333

It's so interesting to read this thread and compare it to others about the same subject' date=' elsewhere. In some other threads on other sites, the conversation is downright sceptical, scornful, and even disrespectful to those who believe the claims made by ToneRite. Here, even the sceptics have an open mind, and non-believers are respectful of their peers' beliefs. More interestingly, most here are enthusiastic about the possibility that ToneRite can speed up the breaking in process. And it's not like our Gibsons don't already sound great, and we were just waiting for something to come along and fix them...

This forum may not be the biggest, but it's the best, IMO...

Red 333[/quote']

My lack of Gibsons makes me mostly a lurker on this forum and I share your warm feelings about it, however, I seem to recall a new poster who came in talking about using a Tonerite where things got mighty chippy mighty quick. In fact, that guy got run off just about as fast as he got on and the only reason I even remember is I now see him post on other guitar sites like the AGF and the Collings forums (and he has a somewhat memorable name).

I leave open the possibility that some of the more contrary members who have since left this fine forum may have run that other dude off, but I find it slightly ironic (in a completely amusing way) that the worst Tonerite hazing I've seen in any forum happened right here.:)

Having said all that, I'm back to jonesing for a J-45 so here I am!

I remember the same thing Powerpopper. The previous attempts turned ugly quick. Perhaps the naysayers on the Gibson forum got it out of their system on the first few at bats. This is the tonerite discussion as it should have always been.

I own a tonerite, by the way. I've tried it on a few guitars and was underwhelmed by the results, but not so much so that I regret the purchase. I'm going to give it another shot sooner or later.

On another forum I used to belong to, The Soundhole, I posted a comment about ordering a ToneRite and was met with so many snarky "Why don't you just play the guitar" responses that I gave up on the forum. Deleted my membership, and I'd been a member awhile. But between that and some other events over the past couple of months, I just decided life was too short to put up with A-holes.

I do find this forum much more civilized and respectful.

The UPS guy came this afternoon and dropped off the ToneRite, so here are some unexciting "in action" photos of the thing:

TR1.jpg

TR2.jpg

TR3.jpg

The instructions recommend an initial treatment of 72 to 144 hours. I'm going to try the 72 hours, or actually a bit longer. The 72 hours would be up Sunday evening, and I work a late shift Sunday so I'll just try the thing out Monday morning and hopefully have a report by then. It'll give me time to get re-acquainted with my other guitars. Or get back to my other hobby, card modeling:

nustack6.jpg

As advertised, the device is virtually noiseless. I can hear a very slight hum, but if I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't notice it. Fit right on the guitar, and you can feel the guitar vibrating.

The device is controlled by the "power/harmonic controller" switch. The instruction booklet says you can set the ToneRite "to any level you are comfortable with." Not quite sure what that means....

It does say that the dial controls "both the intensity of the vibrations and the amount of harmonics created by the ToneRite. We have found that lower intensity and higher harmonics (the lower settings) create a sweeter tone while higher intensity with tighter frequencies (the higher settings) gives more projection and volume."

So I figured for the first go-round I'd set the thing pretty much in the middle.

The ToneRite folks seem nice enough. In fact, on the back of the booklet, it says, "For information, help, or just someone to talk to," and then lists ToneRite's address, phone number and e-mail address.

Where were these guys when I was going through my divorce? I could've used someone to talk to then....

Well, after reading this thread and others on other forums I joined the masses and ordered a Tonerite today. I think it was cheaper than taking my guitars to a cheap motel and dumping quaters in the vibrating bed. Haha. Having worked with wood for years I know there is tension in wood. It still thinks it's a tree no matter what shape you make it into until stress is relieved.

I was going to comment on how nice the Texan looked until I saw the model. WOW! You built that? Terrific!

Red 333

Thanks for the kinds words. Yeah' date=' I built that. It's all paper. The shuttle was a heavily modified "kit" that I downloaded, but the External Tank and Reusable Solid Rocket Motors were scratchbuilt. The thing is 1/96th scale (1"=8') And it is a model of [i']Atlantis[/i] on its most recent Hubble servicing mission, one of the highpoints of the space shuttle's long career.

Thanks for the kinds words. Yeah' date=' I built that. It's all paper. The shuttle was a heavily modified "kit" that I downloaded, but the External Tank and Reusable Solid Rocket Motors were scratchbuilt. The thing is 1/96th scale (1"=8') And it is a model of [i']Atlantis[/i] on its most recent Hubble servicing mission, one of the highpoints of the space shuttle's long career.

It's PAPER??? What are you, from the future? How on earth did you build that out of paper? Extraordinary.

Red 333

+1 on the model compliments, David!

I'm intrigued about this Tonerite jobbie. They're not all that expensive if they're going to help bring out the best in a guitar quickly.

I wonder if there are any structural downsides? I suppose not, as all it's simulating is a few months' good hard playing.

I'm particularly interested in the results on the Texan, as it's a model I'm considering purchasing and would consider Toneriting if it has benefits.

My Blues King is already loud and sweet-toned, so I wonder what the Tonerite would do for it...I don't suppose it could be detrimental to a guitar's tone.

Yeah, I'm not sure there would be a detrimental effect to using the device.

I'm the first to admit that my understanding of guitar acoustics only goes so far. But I do know that every decent guitar I've ever owned always sounded better after I'd been playing it a couple of hours than it did when I first picked it up. The playing does something to the wood. The ToneRite appears to be a super-duper method of doing that, of getting the wood to settle in and function as a whole. And some of the guys endorsing the device are no slouches when it comes to knowing guitars and playing them.

Yep, that's the same gizmo I stuck on mine. The application on my 200 did not seem to effect the strings tonal qualities at all. The 2-3 hour old strings I had seemed unchanged after the first 72 hour treatment. Played it for a few days and gave it another 72 hour run and the strings seemed just fine. The way the Tonerite sits on the instrument dampens the strings completely and they don't seem to lose anything.......at least with my setup. Give us a report come Monday, David. My results were subtle after the first treatment but became quite noticable after a second 72 hour session. We await your findings with baited....er......bated breath!

The way I see it, with all the subtle differences in Microphones, expensive preamps, vintage compressors and the like, you'd be cazy not to try a tonerite. I know that after a few days of playing my guitars sound amazing, and the only other thing that makes as much of a difference is the weather and the room acoustics. Id be very interested in your findings Hanners!

Archived