Gibson Brands Forums

amps...

bc45lespaul

Welcome.

Well neither of them are my personal choice of amplifier, but maybe you could narrow it down a bit to what you're looking for. Both of these manufacturers have huge ranges of amplifiers. Then there is the question of whether you are comparing new or vintage models etc.

Well what brand of amp do you prefer???? And I'm looking for a tube amp(cheap) that I could use at gigs and record with...... and odviously sounds good.......

What is your budget? What type of music do you play?

If you would like constructive feedback, you need to let us know what you are looking for.

For me, Orange and Marshall are my favourable Brands, but what I want to get out of it will decide which to use. For home and recording, the Orange TT is fantastic. You could do a small gig, but very limited clean headroom.

For gigs, something like the Marshall JMC 800 would be high on the list, but not ideal for playing in your bedroom, as the best tone is achieved when cranked up.

If my budget was under £200, I would look at something like the Vox VT30, as it`s very flexible and outstanding value.

Let the forum know what you require and I am sure the suggestion will come rolling in.

All the best

Mesa.

Everybody makes cheaper tube amps now; really depends on how much cash you have and what your real need as far as wattage goes. Vox, Marshall, Orange, Laney, Fender... Mesa now makes a 15w tube as well though that is probably the most expensive and you would need a cab. Laney, Fender, Vox, Peavey and I believe Marshall make combos around $500. Even companies like Jet City, Egnator and so on make affordable combos/heads. Also check the used market.

Guitarest brings up a good point. You have to go to a shop and try them.

We can tell you what we like but that might not be your cup of tea. It's

all personel preference. I buy what I like not what someone else say's

is good.

CW

Yes I think that's all good advice. We are all so different that it's hard to suggest what amplifier a total stranger should buy. I like old tube amps a lot like Fender Vibro Champs etc. But I think going to a local shop and trying some out would be a great place to start.

What is your budget? What type of music do you play?

If you would like constructive feedback' date=' you need to let us know what you are looking for.

For me, Orange and Marshall are my favourable Brands, but what I want to get out of it will decide which to use. For home and recording, the Orange TT is fantastic. You could do a small gig, but very limited clean headroom.

For gigs, something like the Marshall JMC 800 would be high on the list, but not ideal for playing in your bedroom, as the best tone is achieved when cranked up.

If my budget was under £200, I would look at something like the Vox VT30, as it`s very flexible and outstanding value.

Let the forum know what you require and I am sure the suggestion will come rolling in.

All the best

[/quote']

The lowest price I will go is $300 and highest is $600.... I like doing a mix of rock and classic. I've looked at alot of marshalls online but I haven't given Orange a chance. My friend has a Vox and sess its real good for gigs, and I might look at that brand too.. Give me your thoughts

Mesa.

Everybody makes cheaper tube amps now; really depends on how much cash you have and what your real need as far as wattage goes. Vox' date=' Marshall, Orange, Laney, Fender... Mesa now makes a 15w tube as well though that is probably the most expensive and you would need a cab. Laney, Fender, Vox, Peavey and I believe Marshall make combos around $500. Even companies like Jet City, Egnator and so on make affordable combos/heads. Also check the used market.[/quote']

Ya, but how much of a difference in sound does wattage make? Example. 30w to 50w???? And I'm looking for something small that I can bring to gigs, but still mess around on a home..... give me your thoughts..

Since you said cheap that leave out any real British or American amp. Here is a idea' date=' why not go to a guitar shop in your area (if there is one) bring your guitar and plug in?[/quote']

I've already done that.... I've tried the peavey valveking 112; peavey vypyr 75; peavey vypyr tube 60; & peavey classic 30; and fender 212.... I'm looking at a price range around $300-$600.. give me your thoughts

Guitarest brings up a good point. You have to go to a shop and try them.

We can tell you what we like but that might not be your cup of tea. It's

all personel preference. I buy what I like not what someone else say's

is good.

CW

Read what I said to guitarest...

Yes I think that's all good advice. We are all so different that it's hard to suggest what amplifier a total stranger should buy. I like old tube amps a lot like Fender Vibro Champs etc. But I think going to a local shop and trying some out would be a great place to start.

Read what I said to guitarest....

I stand by what I posted before I'm not buying the you are. Which one do

you like out of those. Thats your answer. I have Marshall, Orange, Fender,

and I just got the Blackstar HT-5. They all do something I like really good.

CW

Read what I said to guitarest....

I'd have a look at a Fender Blues Junior next. But I have no idea what sound you like or want. If it was me I'd go for tubes, keep it simple and avoid amps with lots of presets etc. But that's me.

OK, here comes the blasphemy!

First, I have a Mesa Dual Caliber that I love. You can definitely pick these up DC-3 w/ 4xEL84s or a DC-5 w/ 2x6L6 in your price range used. Very versatile amps. The Mesa catalog (1997) described these as the rhythm channel of a Mark IV and the lead channel from the rectifier. Marketing hype for sure but still a very versatile amp.

(Now the blasphemy part)

I've turned my Mesa on maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months and I play/practice maybe 2 hrs a day on average.

The reason is that I picked up a GNX4 about a year ago and MOST CRITICALLY purchased the MFX Supermodels. If you've never heard of the MFX Supermodels google 'em. They blow me away. Whether I use through good quality headphones, a 60Wx60W solidstate power amp stereo into a pair of guitar cabs or a house PA...its all good. Right now a few of the JTM and JMP models are my faves.

I picked up a GNX for a friend last week off CL for 150. I guess my only point is consider all of your options.

Peavey and Marshall are both good brands for the most part, but with Peaveys, I'd stick with the all tube range, with Marshall, try to stick with something made in England, as in my opinion they are superior. The English Marshalls will be considerably more expensive, however, in the new sector. In my opinion, the best all around Marshalls are the JVM and if you can find one used, a JCM 2000. For Peaveys, you can never go wrong with a CLassic 30 or Classic 50, or if you need something with a little more punch to it, a 5150 II or a Triple XXX can't be beat.

Personally, I play a Peavey Delta Blues 210 with an Ibanez TS808HW in front to push the amp a little harder

For 600 your only going to be able to by Chinese or Vietnamese amps' date=' not any real American or British amps. Maybe a baby Fender or something like that but even the Hot Rod Delux is way out of your range. I don't think you really have thought about this too much. Go back to the store and plug in. Mesa's, American Peaveys, British Marshall's, British Vox, even a huge amount of cheaper amp are out of your league. This is senseless to continue you do not have any idea about what you really want only that you don't want to spend real money.

FYI a 5 watt amp is going to sound like a 30 watt amp and sound like a 50 watt. There is no difference in sound between wattages; only power and how loud it will get.

With you money your willing to spend why not get a modeling amp; you'll be happy and in the future you save your money and get a 50 watt American / British amp because those amps average around 1,000.00 for the heads and 1,400.00 or so for a combo with either 1X12 or 2X12.[/quote']

But the problem is we have already spent $3,400.00 on a les paul. I saved up for almost half of it, and my parents spent the rest..... The problem is, I'm only twelve, so its not that easy for me to make money. My parents can't aford it because I race motocross also... So I'm on my own...

But the problem is we have already spent $3' date='400.00 on a les paul. I saved up for almost half of it, and my parents spent the rest..... The problem is, I'm only twelve, so its not that easy for me to make money. My parents can't aford it because I race motocross also... So I'm on my own...[/quote']

In that case if I was you I would go out and but a Fender Champion 600. It will cost less than $199 (that is the manufacturers suggested retail price and you will get up to 40% off that). It is a little 5 watt tube amplifier with a retro look. If I had one of those when I was 12 I would have been VERY happy. Plus you are so lucky to have a guitar like that!

But the problem is we have already spent $3' date='400.00 on a les paul. I saved up for almost half of it, and my parents spent the rest..... The problem is, I'm only twelve, so its not that easy for me to make money. My parents can't aford it because I race motocross also... So I'm on my own...[/quote']

You're 12 years old and you spent 3 and a half grand on a LP?!?! Damn, just tell your parents to buy you a JCM2000 head and 1960A and 1960B speaker cabs!

Just kidding (kind of). Don't go with any Peavey in that price range lil homey. See if you can get a used Fender combo, 2X12. Especially if you have a nice guitar like that. Marshalls are awesome (maybe even the awesomest) but the problem is that anything you plug into it is gonna sound like a marshall. Get a fender and play around with it to pull out the subtle beautiful tones you can get from a nice Les Paul.

That's my advice.

Wait- are you in a band? Playing shows? You can get a nice little 15w Vox if you're just learning and you don't need to overpower some drums.

$3,400 on a LP at 12....shheeee-iitt. You're a lucky lil MFer.

My only other advice is sell your dirtbike and get a killer amp- if you break a wrist or elbow you'll be out of commission for BOTH the guitar and bike. Plus, guitarists/rockstars get waayy more girls. Trust me on this one.

Hi lespaulbc45,

couldn't help noticing that in this thread, you have a Les Paul that cost $3,400 - but all the way back on 25th April you said,,,,and I quote: "Hey everybody, back in december I got a les paul studio"

I hate to tell you, but some folks would consider $3,400 to be slightly overpriced for a Studio - even a nice one....

[cool]

Archived